Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Lots of people here with the IWatch I assume. Up front I will say I have two mac pros. Two MacBook pros. And iPad and an iPhone.

However the watch looks like a rubbish fitness tracker to me. Not properly waterproof. No built in gps. Bad battery life. Perhaps as a smart watch it's great but I think there are several better fitness trackers such as Garmin, Fitbit, polar and so on.

Am I wrong. Anyone else have any opinion on this? I am keen to get a fitness tracker to all sorts of things with including the vitality stuff but don't think the apple device will suit me.

all those devices are better and if you were buying something I would not recommend the watch.

However the fact that you can effectively not pay for the watch is a big pull and that's the only reason for picking that ahead of the other devices.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Discovery Vitality reducing activity goals after backlash

Discovery members on the Vitality Active Rewards programme will have their activity goals adjusted downwards in April when its new rules kick in.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/general/158827-discovery-vitality-reducing-activity-goals-after-backlash.html

Doesn't help at all - they are lowering the goals upfront, but will increase back to the current levels over time - just delays the issues, solves nothing

Lots of people here with the IWatch I assume. Up front I will say I have two mac pros. Two MacBook pros. And iPad and an iPhone.

However the watch looks like a rubbish fitness tracker to me. Not properly waterproof. No built in gps. Bad battery life. Perhaps as a smart watch it's great but I think there are several better fitness trackers such as Garmin, Fitbit, polar and so on.

Am I wrong. Anyone else have any opinion on this? I am keen to get a fitness tracker to all sorts of things with including the vitality stuff but don't think the apple device will suit me.

If you want a fitness tracker buy a fenix or similar, if you want a smart watch and have a iphone buy the iwatch. Just like you said, the iwatch is not a true fitness device just like you wont buy a fenix and then complain about the crap phone notifications...

Doesn't help at all - they are lowering the goals upfront, but will increase back to the current levels over time - just delays the issues, solves nothing

My questions is, will they reduce the current 50 points bump in target you get every week you meet the previous weeks target? Otherwise if they half someone that is already on 1.2k then after 3 months they are back on that target with the new allocations...

My questions is, will they reduce the current 50 points bump in target you get every week you meet the previous weeks target? Otherwise if they half someone that is already on 1.2k then after 3 months they are back on that target with the new allocations...

If you read the link it implies just that, it will get you used to the new system.

With every benefit so far they have changed or moved the goal post, with some or other stupid excuse, including Miles and cash back partners.

With every benefit so far they have changed or moved the goal post, with some or other stupid excuse, including Miles and cash back partners.

The article is also totally dishonest - they are not reducing points, they are just starting at a lower point. And it's not because of the backlash, they said they would from the time they announced the new rules.

The article is also totally dishonest - they are not reducing points, they are just starting at a lower point. And it's not because of the backlash, they said they would from the time they announced the new rules.

like i said, paid for advertising...

Can you still only get coffee at non-Shell Vida's?

My local Vida (3rd ave in Parktown North) just closed down and my only options now are either Rosebank Mall or the new Standard Bank building - both are extremely inconvenient to grab a quick fix.

I just let two vouchers go to waste (expired). I feel terrible having worked so hard to get the points/rewards, only to forget about my smoothies.

Maybe it's a sign that I need to get used to the system that gives us time to get used to the system.

edit: can't use comic sans font on my phone.

Edited by geraldm24

looking at this again, if your goal is 1200 a week, it will still be quite easy to achieve if you track with HR.

90+mins @ moderate HR would get you 300points, so that means just 4 rides a week to get there.

Or just do 4x HIIT at 80% for 30mins and you sorted.

So in short, for those that are lazy or unfit or have a high HR, you should be able to get your smoothie or coffee with just 4x30 min sessions, maybe even 2 for those on a lower target.

And for the rest that actually do enjoy going out you shouldn't have a problem.

I just let two vouchers go to waste (expired). I feel terrible having worked so hard to get the points/rewards, only to forget about my smoothies.

Maybe it's a sign that I need to get used to the system that gives us time to get used to the system.

You should change your Friday coffee ride to a Friday smoothie ride.

Not sure what time they start serving smoothies at though.

Happens to me all the time ..... ah well I just know that should I happen to be near a Vida at some time I always have 4 coffees available. Pity it happens so infrequently though :(

Can you still only get coffee at non-Shell Vida's?

My local Vida (3rd ave in Parktown North) just closed down and my only options now are either Rosebank Mall or the new Standard Bank building - both are extremely inconvenient to grab a quick fix.

They'll have to amend that rule at some stage, I heard someone say that Vida is changing their model to a " Take Away" focussed one, which means most of the stand alone shops will be closing down with more opening at the Garage's

They'll have to amend that rule at some stage, I heard someone say that Vida is changing their model to a " Take Away" focussed one, which means most of the stand alone shops will be closing down with more opening at the Garage's

I freakin hope so....