PPA appoints legal representation to assist with hit-and-run charge

News bot

[26] And, in relation to cyclists, the learned author has the following to say 4:

A driver is expected to keep a proper lookout for cyclists. It is difficult to ride a bicycle in such a manner that it remains precisely and securely on a fixed course. There is always a degree of sideways movement - first to the one side and then to the other. If the cyclist is a young child and in addition there is a strong wind blowing, the possibility that a bicycle may deviate considerable more than normally from its course is greater. For the aforementioned reasons a driver in such a case is expected to give a cyclist timeous warning of his/her approach and in his/her judgment will, in addition, also leave sufficient space between him/her and the bicycle in order to be able to overtake with reasonable safety. ”

While the Plaintiff is obviously not a young child, he is a slightly built person of about 1,6m in height and weighing only 55 kilogram. He certainly would have been pushed around by the following wind and would have been less stable on his bicycle than a taller and heavier person.

[27] In Henry v SANTAM Ins Co Ltd 5 Watermeyer J noted that:

The legal principles are dear that a motorist overtaking a two­ wheeled vehicle, such as a cycle or a scooter, must allow a sufficient clearance between the two vehicles making due allowance for some lateral movement on the part of the rider of the two-wheeled vehicle, and this would be especially so where the road surface is rough, as it was at the place of the collision. ”

Well done PPA!

The prosecutor, with their case load, will need all the assistance from counsel.

Edited by Bloukrans

An excellent indication as to the importance of actually HAVING a slush fund like they do... 

Suddenly the investment strategy doesn't seem "foolhardy", eh...

;)

Especially when you know what an advocate makes an hour... that's a lot or Argus entries just to get one hour down the line on this. 

Ping iCycling - this is where I expect my PPA membership money to go, instead of puffing the egos of some amateur weekend warrior race snakes in the form of prize money.

^^This. 

More ground level support of cycling like this and I might actually re-join the PPA - nicely done

And more massive billboards everywhere with the "Stay wider of the rider" message. I saw one on the road between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves recently. Why not in Kalk Bay, Cape Point, Camps Bay and everywhere else?