Need help choosing a MTB

kOOsi3

Hi! All

Im new to the MTB scene and only recently purchased a pre-owned silverback saturn for recreational riding. Having said that, i realised how fun it is riding some trails and XC. Im hooked and really want to get into the sport not so much for comps but for myself and my health. I want to save up for a decent 29" hard tail and have been looking around. My budget is maximum R15000 (which is a bit steep) and have been looking at the following bikes:

Scott scale 960 2015 (R11999 vbike)

Scott scale 950 2015 (14999 vbike)

Merida big 9 500 (R13500)

Momsen AL329

Titan elite 29er (14999)

All has got air suspension which i was told is much better than hydraulic. Scott seems to win the race when talking to bike shop employees. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Look out for a second hand alu(or carbon) hardtail with xt/slx specs. You should be able to find something very decent, which will include a reba or fox fork. All the above mentioned bikes spec. is very average, and if you are serious about riding you would be thinking about upgrading on a regular basis. Just be patient,and don't rush into any deal. Good luck

Is the XT/SLX parts top of the range? Is it all about the parts or is there at least a little importancy towards the brand/frame. I should probably try and ride a few bikes to see what im comfortable with and what suits my style best. Thanks so far for the replies. I'll take everything in account. Not in a hurry.

In terms of quality parts, are fox the ultimate brand for forks/shocks and does the fork play a big part in what bike to choose?

Is the XT/SLX parts top of the range? Is it all about the parts or is there at least a little importancy towards the brand/frame. I should probably try and ride a few bikes to see what im comfortable with and what suits my style best. Thanks so far for the replies. I'll take everything in account. Not in a hurry.

In terms of quality parts, are fox the ultimate brand for forks/shocks and does the fork play a big part in what bike to choose?

Size is important.

Wheels are important

Brand not so important.

Components VERY important.

Try stick to the SLX / XT mixture for a first bike.

Stay away from Makro Specials or Dion specials if you want to enjoy the sport.

Go for a bike with  XT/slx combo groupsets, or similar SRAM products, they work , and keep working, The frame does play a roll, you dont want to try and ride a tank up a up a hill, 

in terms of the fork, i have used both and prefer rockhox , but just make sure you get a air fork. 

If it was my R15k id look at a really good secondhand bike, you will get alot more bang for your buck.

my 2c

Thx a lot for the replies, I'll be patient and look out for a bike on here. I dont mind buying 2nd hand and am sure I can get a deal.

What i think is important when buying second hand (some great deals on the hub) is that the frame is in good condition (no cracks), the fork and shock has been serviced amd the pivot bearings are in good nick.

Theae things can cost quire a bit. Components can be replaced but fets costly. Slx and xt are great options.

Understand what type of riding you want to do so you can get the appropriate bike. So for trail riding a duel sus is good option vut for marathon then a hard tail will do.