Vetseun

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it is 10 years: 

Magistrate Anand Maharaj sentanced Ramnarain to five years in jail for each count of culpable homicide and that these terms would run consecutively

This from Timeslive and IOL

A little bit of justice is served...

Hopefully sends something of a message to those driving drunk and recklessly on our roads. It doesn't bring these riders back to their loved ones, but hopefully might save a few others from meeting a similar fate

Durban motorist Omesh Ramnarain, convicted of killing two cyclists after he crashed into them on the M4 leading out of Durban in February 2016, was given a 10-year prison sentence on Friday.

Https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/10-year-jail-sentence-for-motorist-who-killed-two-cyclists-in-durban-20180525

This will restore some faith in the criminal justice system as far as culpable homicide sentences are  concerned. I can't recall what Burry's killer driver was sentenced to in the end but I think it was less than this? 

Asking because I really don’t know, but what’s the point of sentencing someone to serve a sentence concurrently?? So 5 years for each victim, but the guy only needs to serve 5. I don’t get it....

Asking because I really don’t know, but what’s the point of sentencing someone to serve a sentence concurrently?? So 5 years for each victim, but the guy only needs to serve 5. I don’t get it....

Consecutive and concurrent are different. The media is reporting that these sentences were handed down consecutively, meaning that one sentence must be served before the next.

As far as whats the point. The same principles that are applied in determining the severity of a sentence are also used to decide if sentences are to be carried our concurrently or consecutively.

Am I correct in saying that he has been granted leave to appeal , but was remanded in custody ??

If so , at least he has started serving time .