River Rat

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news

At around 15:00 today 3 July at around the halfway point 2 perps jumped at 2 youngsters.

The boys shouted. One perp ran away one tried to catch the boys armed with a knife

Fortunately it was junior youngsters on road bikes. They outsprinted the perp.

1km down the road they saw a SAPS vehicle and reported it to him. He sped down the road.

They reported it to the guard at the top gate and left.

Very rattled. These are young boys 17 years old. They were really rattled and scared.

Keep an eye out still not 100% at KlapperkopĀ 

This is the second incident in less than a week at midday on Saturday a couple and a bystander were robbed at viewpoint1, five men armed with knives. Clearly there is a new gang operating in the area so be very careful.

Ā 

All I can say is, here we go again.

• 2 weeks later...

Klapperkop

As a follow up to my previous report of renewed attacks at Klapperkop I did some investigating. If you recall we did a sting operation in Klapperkop in August last year where 2 attackers were shot (1 killed and 1 wounded) the others fled the scene. However, we had information as to their whereabouts and they were arrested the next day. It would appear that they were released soon afterwards without any ID parades to see if they could be linked to the numerous attacks that occurred in Klapperkop this time last year. We now have information that at least one of the guys arrested and released is behind the recent attacks.

Ā 

Graham De Lange and I took this up with the senior SAPS personnel this past Saturday at a SAPS community briefing and I am pleased to report that the matter has been escalated to Brigadier level who has appealed for those that were attacked to come forward so that he can follow through on these cases. This is where we need your help, if you or someone you know was attacked in the Klapperkop reserve please PM your case number to me so that we can get a response from SAPS. I know some of you might be a bit cycnical about this but having done this before I can state with some confidence that we did get results in the past. So far we have caught 4 and the sentences meted out vary from 13 -19 years imprisonment, please help us get the rest of this gang off our streets.

Edited by River Rat

• 1 month later...

Loved seeing this and it's huge kudos to the ladies that testified, they faced numerous court delays and let me tell you our courts are not the easist places to go to for any woman.

Ā 

Now to catch this latest gang operating in the area, my dog and I were on the heels of one suspect on Monday but he escaped into a stormwater drain under the R21. There was no way I was going to put my dog or myself at risk chasing after him, there will be a next time.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any one ridden at Groenkloof recently? In the nature reserve? A few years back it was a hive of activity in the morning for hikers and cyclists. I havent ridden there since 2016. We also used to enjoy the fountains route down where the Gautrain runs. The last time we rode there security warned that area was not safe. But the actual reserve? any work on the trails and is it safe?

Any one ridden at Groenkloof recently? In the nature reserve? A few years back it was a hive of activity in the morning for hikers and cyclists. I havent ridden there since 2016. We also used to enjoy the fountains route down where the Gautrain runs. The last time we rode there security warned that area was not safe. But the actual reserve? any work on the trails and is it safe?

I saw some guys posting Groenkloof pics to the "mountain bike trails south Africa" Facebook group yesterday and asked the same question.

Ā 

They advised security issues have been resolved.

I see two thugs were arrested yesterday after mugging some visitors... glad to hear the security are being pro-active and slowly winning the battleĀ  :thumbup:

Sadly these guys were released by SAPS Sunnyside before we could hold an ID parade. I am not going to let this go.

I rode in Groenkloof in November on a Saturday and there were very few cyclists. A number of hikers though. Trails are not maintained or not enough wheels to keep the trails free from grass, etc. Personally I think Groenkloof is becoming a hikers place an mountain biking there is coming to an end