Abortion doping

The chinese were also allegedly doing it years ago for the swimming teams. Also Gunn Rhita was accused of doing it a number of years back, but nothing was ever proved...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how does it help the athletes? Only after abortion?

First 3 months of my wifes pregnancy meant she definitely wasnt doing anything active, more like extra sleep time.

I also don't understand the concept. Speaking from experience (x2), the first 3 months are when you feel at your absolute worst; sick and extremely tired

The lengths people (or Organisations / Countries) will go to to win is shocking.

Must be some messed up middle aged ex athletes out there.

How do you live with winning if you won by cheating? Not just cheating a bit, but seriously cheating?

I also don't understand the concept. Speaking from experience (x2), the first 3 months are when you feel at your absolute worst; sick and extremely tired

Hormonal and other changes in pregnancy affect physical performance. In the first three months it is known that a woman’s body produces a natural surplus of red blood cells, which are well supplied with oxygen-carrying haemoglobin, in order to support the growing foetus.[1] A study of athletes before and after pregnancy by Professor James Pivarnik at the Human Energy Research laboratory in Michigan State University has found there is a 60 per cent increase in blood volume and that this could improve the body’s ability to carry oxygen to muscles by up to 30 per cent.[1] This would have obvious positive effects on aerobic capacity. Other potential advantages are obtained from the surge in hormones that pregnancy induces, predominantly progesterone and oestrogen, but also testosterone, which could increase muscle strength. Increases in hormones like relaxin, which loosens the hip joints to prepare for childbirth, may have a performance enhancing effect on joint mobility.[1]

Several world records have been set by female athletes shortly after giving birth to their first child.[2][3] This is accepted as a natural and unintended event.[2]

Hormonal and other changes in pregnancy affect physical performance. In the first three months it is known that a woman’s body produces a natural surplus of red blood cells, which are well supplied with oxygen-carrying haemoglobin, in order to support the growing foetus.[1] A study of athletes before and after pregnancy by Professor James Pivarnik at the Human Energy Research laboratory in Michigan State University has found there is a 60 per cent increase in blood volume and that this could improve the body’s ability to carry oxygen to muscles by up to 30 per cent.[1] This would have obvious positive effects on aerobic capacity. Other potential advantages are obtained from the surge in hormones that pregnancy induces, predominantly progesterone and oestrogen, but also testosterone, which could increase muscle strength. Increases in hormones like relaxin, which loosens the hip joints to prepare for childbirth, may have a performance enhancing effect on joint mobility.[1]

Several world records have been set by female athletes shortly after giving birth to their first child.[2][3] This is accepted as a natural and unintended event.[2]

I do agree with the last sentence, but I challenge anybody to not feel great after shrugging off 10kg overnight!

One factor that hasn't been taking into account is the psychological impact of abortion doping. Both the hormone fluctuations as well as the concept of aborting must really mess with a person's mind which would not enhance sporting performance.

Use to happen a lot with east german, Romania etc gymnasts years ago... some were very young...

I know that people like East German Marita Koch whose 400m record set in 1986 still stands ran whist pregnant and shortly thereafter.

However, I don't believe that the Gymnasts did this. It was horses for courses and they needed a different intervention.  

All of them had pre-pubescent bodies and I know that they hormonally prevented puberty so that they retained their childlike flexibility and size well into their teens.

ps, having seen some of the East German Track and field athletes, I guess if insemination was not artificial, the sperm donor would have had to be awarded a large amount of danger pay.....although I would have made an exception for Heike Dreschler

I do agree with the last sentence, but I challenge anybody to not feel great after shrugging off 10kg overnight!

One factor that hasn't been taking into account is the psychological impact of abortion doping. Both the hormone fluctuations as well as the concept of aborting must really mess with a person's mind which would not enhance sporting performance.

TBH, if you're that deep into enhancing your performance by any means, I doubt you are struggling with any of the potential moral / ethical implications of abortion.

Hang on a minute folks

Snopes is the urban legend website and they are saying the truth of this is indeterminate.

Lots of folk are saying "it's true, I heard that before", well that's how urban legends go.

So it would be good to un-twist knickers until there's something a bit more definitive?

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

2002 FFS or am I missing something?

Hang on a minute folks

Snopes is the urban legend website and they are saying the truth of this is indeterminate.

Lots of folk are saying "it's true, I heard that before", well that's how urban legends go.

So it would be good to un-twist knickers until there's something a bit more definitive?

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 2002]

2002 FFS or am I missing something?

Shhhhh! You're spoiling the thread.

They were doing this in the 1980's/90's before the olympics... old and really sadistic way to dope
EG female athlete back then.... :eek: 

post-16639-0-34356900-1458134922_thumb.jpg

Archived