SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

Apparently steering is not as important as braking...

They did leave the mechanicals in as a backup for emergencies (although how exactly you engage it is a mystery to me) .... clearly they don't have full confidence yet...

Interestingly one of my mates has a forllift which has pretty much complete drive by wire everything - guess they don't think a forklift can do that much damage - but I can see the benefit of ultra light steering for a forklift driver after a long shift.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did leave the mechanicals in as a backup for emergencies (although how exactly you engage it is a mystery to me) .... clearly they don't have full confidence yet...

Interestingly one of my mates has a forllift which has pretty much complete drive by wire everything - guess they don't think a forklift can do that much damage - but I can see the benefit of ultra light steering for a forklift driver after a long shift.

Yup, I think safety is not the issue. Think Airbus. It is probably cost and consumer confidence.

I'm really sorry for this digression. :offtopic:

problem is that if the big spenders go large and always accept the spiraling costs as "acceptable" it just screws over the rest of us poor plebs who cringe at the price of a simple tube or entry level deore 10spd cassette (R790.00 BTW for a deore cassette with the updated pricing from shimano) ....... things are getting to a point where I am thinking to sell all the bikes and build up a rough and rugged do-it-all hardtail running (think Hungry Monkey or On-One 456 650b frame) as a SS with the option of using gears on occasion if the need arises.

All this rapid pace of development means you need to keep a keen eye on the classifieds, heaps of bargains to be had as the 'latest greatest' okes dispose of their brand new hardly used 1x10//1x11//2x10//3x9//etc stuff :)

Will this make the Contermanskloof Mast climb easier? Then, and only then would this be worth it for me...

as a commuter bike yes, on the trails no.

Just think how much fun you can have on trails going uphill when you add 350w - Stefan was having so much fun you could not wipe the smile off his face - even after he clipped a tree...

I think there is a place for them - especially for the older guys (80+) so they can keep up going uphill.

Just think how much fun you can have on trails going uphill when you add 350w - Stefan was having so much fun you could not wipe the smile off his face - even after he clipped a tree...

I think there is a place for them - especially for the older guys (80+) so they can keep up going uphill.

With the cost of a hip replacement, I think 80 year olds should be more worried about going downhill than uphill.

All this rapid pace of development means you need to keep a keen eye on the classifieds, heaps of bargains to be had as the 'latest greatest' okes dispose of their brand new hardly used 1x10//1x11//2x10//3x9//etc stuff :)

Can I point you okes to my advert of my 2x10 stuff for sale?  :whistling:  :ph34r:

With the cost of a hip replacement, I think 80 year olds should be more worried about going downhill than uphill.

:) - I like to ride with my Dad - he can go downhill just fine..... (ok - he straightlines a lot of corners...) but uphill is a bit of a battle for him (he gets there in the end, but feels bad about holding us up)

He did manage to outlast me over the weekend bodysurfing - froze myself stupid in about 45min.... took him another hour to get out the water while I froze on the beach in the wind... the 80+ crowd can be tough.