[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

My race went superbly by any standard, even though I missed my target time by 7min it is a huge personal improvement for me. Last year took 5h25 this year I put in the training and was aiming for 3h30 ended up doing 3h37 which is still an almost two hour improvement so all in all I am a happy camper!

Fantastic!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise that the logistics at the start are very different from CTCT, but I am sure they will make improvements for next year. 

We all do need to remember that CTCT/Argus have had many years to fine tune their start system/procedure, at the same venue.

This was only the third start at Riversands, and just think back to the first one there, this year was a massive improvement.

I wonder what the limitations actually are in taking the learnings from Argus and apply them to Riversands? Space? People? Something else?

As I recollect Argus, it's essentially an area of starting pens, each with one inlet and one outlet, from which each start pen is separately led to a short queue in the start area? What am I missing in doing a copy-and-paste for Riversands?

I am wondering about the number of entrants vs. starters/finishers. The organisers quoted 33,000 entrants in this year's race. Racetec has just under 20,500 timed finishers. That means that nearly 13,000 people either didn't start, didn't finish or rode without a chip. I know that there were a few people without chips getting past the marshalls (despite the organisers' "no chip, no ride" policy) and there will always be those that don't feel they can ride on the day and obviously those that don't finish, but 13,000 just seems really high to me.

I always thought the explanation for this was that everyone finishing over 6 hours is not counted when giving your race position, they are still given a time but not counted as finishers.

Also is it just me or were there less people supporting than usual?

This was my first one and I did not think of comparing the spectators to Argus', but boy there were no supporters AT ALL!! That was shocking to me for a city with twice(if not more) as many road races as Cape Town. I did two laps and saw people in the same arears. So it's not a matter of them not wanting to wake up for it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I wonder what the limitations actually are in taking the learnings from Argus and apply them to Riversands? Space? People? Something else?

As I recollect Argus, it's essentially an area of starting pens, each with one inlet and one outlet, from which each start pen is separately led to a short queue in the start area? What am I missing in doing a copy-and-paste for Riversands?

I think the big difference is that 947 tries to accommodate all the cars in the same venue.  CTCT gets you to park away from the venue, and ride in.

CTCT also has a different start and finish venue. Must help a lot with logistics as they don't need to accommodate starters and finishers at the same time.

947 could fence off the area similar to CTCT, but the landscape is not flat, and is dynamic with all the construction happening in the area.

I do think someone/more than one needs to stop riders moving beyond their allocated start pen, staging pen.

It could be improved, but it was not that much of an issue, considering the number of cars, people and hospitality.

Hi all

Thanks for the comments re the start layout.

We have a layout issue at Riversands which makes it difficult to do a cut and paste of the CTCT.

CT has a shorter/fatter venue with access from all sides into the start pens. We have a long thin venue with little or no tarred access from the sides.

We also have a river that cuts the venue into 2 with no access from all people arriving from the North, access to the back of the start. We have to allow these people access after the river. ( so two access points)

Lastly, the finish is on the same road as the start pens with the front finishers arriving long before the last starter have access their start pens.

Every year we look at improving the start design with the layout of the venue. There are some access roads we could use but not tarred, if it did rain they could be mud.

So we honestly try ever year to improve (the electronic signs made a big difference) but welcome any positive ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

We have a layout issue at Riversands which makes it difficult to do a cut and paste of the CTCT.

CT has a shorter/fatter venue with access from all sides into the start pens. We have a long thin venue with little or no tarred access from the sides.

We also have a river that cuts the venue into 2 with no access from all people arriving from the North, access to the back of the start. We have to allow these people access after the river. ( so two access points)

Lastly, the finish is on the same road as the start pens with the front finishers arriving long before the last starter have access their start pens.

Every year we look at improving the start design with the layout of the venue. There are some access roads we could use but not tarred, if it did rain they could be mud.

So we honestly try ever year to improve (the electronic signs made a big difference) but welcome any positive ideas.

Thanks for the feedback Rob.

Maybe in future riders should be scanned into the bunches. This will help with the individuals that feels its their right to go and wait at the start line for their bunch to arrive at the line. Similar to mountain bike races were you get scanned in from the back and move into your group.

Did my first 94.7 this year with my dad, what a privilege to be able to do this ride with him. I really enjoyed the day out. Prepared myself to get soaked but don't think there was a cloud in the sky while we were riding.

Our goal was anything from 5 hours to 5h30mins but my dad started cramping on the Nelson Mandela bridge and we had to stop often at message points for him to get some treatment. Finished in 6h02mins if I can remember correctly.

I at least achieved one of my goals of not walking on any of the uphill sections. I usually do about 200 to 250 m of climbing on my normal training rides. Not so many hills where I live. I can with honesty say that the 94.7 was up to now the toughest day I've experienced in the saddle but I enjoyed every second of it and will be there next year again. Might fit some skinny wheels on my 26er to make it a bit easier.

Hi all

Guys, I just thought I should share some info about the organisers here. So one of my team mates crashed in Steyn City and was sent to hospital and while he was still in hospital yesterday a few people from the organising team came to visit him. They gave him there well regards AS WELL AS asking how the accident happened and did he think there was anything they could do to improve to race.

So I take my hat off to them for actually caring and taking time out to make an effort. Thank You Tanya and your team :thumbup:

Maybe in future riders should be scanned into the bunches. This will help with the individuals that feels its their right to go and wait at the start line for their bunch to arrive at the line. Similar to mountain bike races were you get scanned in from the back and move into your group.

When I started (NN) there were marshals at the entrance to the start pens checking riders race numbers, ensuring that riders were not entering too early. Was this the case for the very early groups?

I'm guessing one of the big challenges for the organisers is communicating to all the marshals where they need to be and what they need to be doing.

Curiosity question, maybe Rob can answer. What percent of the crew/marshals are paid vs volunteers?

I thought the organisation was fantastic. To get that many people through there is amazing. 

My race went well. I was hoping to get into the L group but things didn't pan out and I could see them in the start pen but I couldn't get to them. I just couldn't find a group anywhere but I did wheel surf a lot! 

I did 3:26. In March this year after completing a tour to Cape Town I had thoughts of maybe sneaking 3:45, so I am really happy with my time. I do think though I could have gone under 3:20, I had that in me already. Just need to work on my self belief a little. I suffered from the top of the worst section of Cedar to the finish - so I did give it a good go. But with riding on my own from Rosebank to Randburg, I took my foot off the gas big time! A friend caught me there and I picked up the pace again. Could also have been adrenalin from nearly hitting a guy walking across the road, with so many bicycles around I didn't see him until he was less than half a metre away from me!  Not sure how I missed him and how I got my bike to move like that!

So I'm happy with my 43min PB. I'm training just as hard as last year but I have a coach now and I'm doing the right training. Just need to trust myself a bit more. 

This is a bit of a Catch-22 - we try and allow late access to pens as we understand that with this size event traffic, parking, and other problems do happen on the best planned mornings, however this then gets abused by these few individuals who use this to get ahead of their group so that they can get to the front. 

But we will bear these comments in mind for next year, thanks.

I really don't understand why this isn't as strictly enforced as the organisers clearly want it to be. CTCT does a far better job at making sure there's a chip on every bike/cyclist. Based on the chaotic experience in loading, it seems as if the marshalls simply weren't (aren't ever) briefed properly. 

Three years ago at the Argus . . . . Got up early on Race Day, drove into town (in the dark) and parked up. Set up bikes and kitted up etc, Rode a couple of km to start. Chatted to friends, took photos and then made our way to the entry for the chutes, where they were checking chips. Mine was in my bike toolbox in the back of the car . . . .   

Frantic ride back to car but just about made it.

Edited by Bonus

Was aiming for a sub 4 but just missed out and ended with a 04h05 . Still happy though that i improved from my time of 04h40 from 2015

Kudos to the guy that was riding a MTB with saddle bags on both front and back wheels. 

Edited by Khronis