Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next question... My youngster just started playing mini cricket. We dug out his brother's pl cricket bat and decided to throw some love and attention it's way. It is G&M Icon 100 and supposedly a non oil cricket bat.

It was in a sorry state after 10 odd years of school cricket and garden cricket (Pretty sure it was left outside on more than one occasion as well...)

I took off all the stickers and proceeded to give it a good scrape to get any glue and stuff off. I then gave it a good going over with the orbital and finished it off with some 600 water paper (used it dry. It was all I have available) to give it a nice smooth finish. 

Now the question is.... What do I put on it to protect it? When I was at school, Linseed oil was the way to go. However I recently stumbled across a product called Plascosafe Furniture Lacquer. It is a clear coating that dries to a satin finish. Was thinking of using that...

So using my Degree by Google, I was able to ascertain that it's not that complicated. A few coats of raw linseed oil left to absorb over a few days and then an application of Frame Protection Bat Facing and we are golden. Operation Cricket Bat Restore continues tonight  :thumbup:

Bleh Facebook. No idea what's wrong with the embed. It's public, available for sharing etc etc etc.

Just click the link :)

Hi guys.

I'm in need of the wood experts here,

Need to identify a small block of wood that's been treated.

I think it's meranti wood. But let's just say I'm far from an knowledgeable on woods

Thanks

post-12682-0-74573000-1477382963_thumb.jpg

So using my Degree by Google, I was able to ascertain that it's not that complicated. A few coats of raw linseed oil left to absorb over a few days and then an application of Frame Protection Bat Facing and we are golden. Operation Cricket Bat Restore continues tonight  :thumbup:

Yep, sounds about right. I know nothing about woodwork and all, and don't have the skills to DIY it, but know a few things about cricket bats. (but I still like to read this thread, as I like wooden stuffs in my home and its always good to get some ideas)

The toe of the bat  normally takes a bit of punishment as well, so you might want to consider getting a toe protector (something as in the attached pic). Its basically a thick piece of "rubber" glued to the bat using that glue we all used to use for patching bike tubes. you can get this at Sportsmans as well but your best bet is Mr P sport at the moment.

Then re-apply a very thin coat of raw linseed oil once a week or so.

More than that you don't really need to do. Some guys also use fiberglass tape to further strengthen the bottom half of the bat, but for the little ones its not required. The bats get damaged more from fooling around before and after practice than in the actual game :whistling:

My son is now in Grade 1 and was lucky enough to get a size 2 bat from our neighbor that he made from an older size 4 bat made of beautiful Grade 1 English willow.

Sorry for rambling on and on, so I better stop now. Hope your guy enjoys the cricket, its a lovely game for the, to play.

post-15052-0-63049100-1477386139.png

Edited by RudoJ

Yep, sounds about right. I know nothing about woodwork and all, and don't have the skills to DIY it, but know a few things about cricket bats. (but I still like to read this thread, as I like wooden stuffs in my home and its always good to get some ideas)

The toe of the bat  normally takes a bit of punishment as well, so you might want to consider getting a toe protector (something as in the attached pic). Its basically a thick piece of "rubber" glued to the bat using that glue we all used to use for patching bike tubes. you can get this at Sportsmans as well but your best bet is Mr P sport at the moment.

Then re-apply a very thin coat of raw linseed oil once a week or so.

More than that you don't really need to do. Some guys also use fiberglass tape to further strengthen the bottom half of the bat, but for the little ones its not required. The bats get damaged more from fooling around before and after practice than in the actual game :whistling:

My son is now in Grade 1 and was lucky enough to get a size 2 bat from our neighbor that he made from an older size 4 bat made of beautiful Grade 1 English willow.

Sorry for rambling on and on, so I better stop now. Hope your guy enjoys the cricket, its a lovely game for the, to play.

Thanks Rudo  :thumbup: Did two coats on Monday evening. First was wetter than the second (Not by much though) Left those to soak in overnight and applied a third coat this morning. I'll put a fourth on this evening when I get home and then see if the bat facing will stick on Wednesday morning....(That is for more of a cool factor than anything else) He can't wait to take it to practice on Wednesday!

I put quite a bit of oil onto the toe so I'm not sure if the patch will stick. Will give it a go though.

He played his first "match" on Friday. Coaches let them play in all positions. Took 2 wickets, knocked 8 runs, got bored fielding and had fun playing wickey. 

Going to work on the catching skills with his new cricket ball he got for his birthday  :thumbup:

Edit: Might give the toe of the bat a grind on the disk sander before I apply the toe protection...

Edited by Grebel

Thanks Rudo  :thumbup: Did two coats on Monday evening. First was wetter than the second (Not by much though) Left those to soak in overnight and applied a third coat this morning. I'll put a fourth on this evening when I get home and then see if the bat facing will stick on Wednesday morning....(That is for more of a cool factor than anything else) He can't wait to take it to practice on Wednesday!

I put quite a bit of oil onto the toe so I'm not sure if the patch will stick. Will give it a go though.

He played his first "match" on Friday. Coaches let them play in all positions. Took 2 wickets, knocked 8 runs, got bored fielding and had fun playing wickey. 

Going to work on the catching skills with his new cricket ball he got for his birthday  :thumbup:

Edit: Might give the toe of the bat a grind on the disk sander before I apply the toe protection...

no problem...don't think the bat facing will stick, but you normally get these things in packs of 2. Good idea to give the toe a bit of a grind before applying the toe protection.

On a side note, we do Bev Cricket...the guys play with normal regular cricket gear. Much better prep that the Baker's Mini Cricket type stuff. Each batsman face one over batting and bowls one as well. After each over they rotate fielding positions. Games are normally 10 - 11 overs each side. Our season started in the 3rd quarter and they played games on Saturdays. Now we play night games...its awesome and the little guys have so much fun. Its my 3rd year as coach, and although it's somewhat hectic and tiresome, I'm going to miss it when the teachers take over from Grade 3 onwards.

Nope, don't believe you :P

Pics or it didn't happen he he

It's taken a while to get the old man wound up enough to find and photograph the set - but here you go:

He says he thinks the wood pieces are actually teak - his memory is that it comes from Burma

post-29797-0-59100100-1477895299_thumb.jpg

post-29797-0-23089100-1477895317_thumb.jpg

post-29797-0-67604400-1477895327_thumb.jpg