Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

What an awful job it is to polish aluminum. used brasso for final shine, but do i need to treat it with anything to make it keep the shine? (i know, alu question in a woodwork thread?)

On the wood - Meranti wood laminated to get the thickness. Thanks again Stretched@Birth :thumbup:

Used holesaw to cut a 1cm indent hole that is the diameter of the pipe so that is slides in on either side. Threaded rod through the middle to hold it in place. Was fun. Speakers are now off the floor blasting at my face and not my feet. Works for me

post-42648-0-41865900-1475495342_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the little turning project for my hand grinder, I couldn't stop myself....

Had a few spare hours, an old tamper that a mate made me, some birch ply off-cuts and a piece of brass.

Laminated the birch ply and shaped the handle in the lathe. Finished it off with 600 water paper and three coats of clear lacquer.  Modified the existing 316 Stainless steel "industrial" tamper by turning down the knurled handle to 13mm dia by 30 long and tapped the end M6. The head was polished with 600 grit water paper. The brass screw was turned out of an old reclaimed brass bolt I found. Shank was machined to 6mm with an M6 tread cut onto the end and the head ended up at 16mm. Cut the slot with a Dremel and used a needle file to get it looking presentable and then buffed it.

All assembled and I was quite chuffed with the result. (Might try and find a nice piece of timber and redo the handle at a later stage. This was more about using stuff that was lying around)

I am really enjoying the woodworking and up cycling at the moment.

attachicon.gifTamper (1).jpg

attachicon.gifTamper (2).jpg

attachicon.gifTamper (3).jpg

How do we place our orders?

After the little turning project for my hand grinder, I couldn't stop myself....

Had a few spare hours, an old tamper that a mate made me, some birch ply off-cuts and a piece of brass.

Laminated the birch ply and shaped the handle in the lathe. Finished it off with 600 water paper and three coats of clear lacquer.  Modified the existing 316 Stainless steel "industrial" tamper by turning down the knurled handle to 13mm dia by 30 long and tapped the end M6. The head was polished with 600 grit water paper. The brass screw was turned out of an old reclaimed brass bolt I found. Shank was machined to 6mm with an M6 tread cut onto the end and the head ended up at 16mm. Cut the slot with a Dremel and used a needle file to get it looking presentable and then buffed it.

All assembled and I was quite chuffed with the result. (Might try and find a nice piece of timber and redo the handle at a later stage. This was more about using stuff that was lying around)

I am really enjoying the woodworking and up cycling at the moment.

attachicon.gifTamper (1).jpg

attachicon.gifTamper (2).jpg

attachicon.gifTamper (3).jpg

That is real pretty Grebs, well done!

How do we place our orders?

Lol! No orders unfortunately. Was just curious to see what the laminated Birch ply would look like.

I had to make my own tamper as I couldn't find the right diameter for my machine when I was looking. (My cheap-ass Delonghi has an odd size basket 52mm) Smallest I could find at the time was a 53mm which wouldn't fit.

That is real pretty Grebs, well done!

Thanks Ed. My wife told me to stop mucking about now and get started on her shoe cupboard....

What an awful job it is to polish aluminum. used brasso for final shine, but do i need to treat it with anything to make it keep the shine? (i know, alu question in a woodwork thread?)

On the wood - Meranti wood laminated to get the thickness. Thanks again Stretched@Birth :thumbup:

Used holesaw to cut a 1cm indent hole that is the diameter of the pipe so that is slides in on either side. Threaded rod through the middle to hold it in place. Was fun. Speakers are now off the floor blasting at my face and not my feet. Works for me

attachicon.gif1.JPG

That came out nice Gandalf  :thumbup: Must have hours in those ally polished poles.

Edit: I wouldn't put anything on the aluminium coating wise i.e. clear-coat etc. It will more than likely mess with the crisp reflection you are getting now. Maybe just a light polish/wax for now and then every couple of weeks to prevent the oxidization?

Edited by Grebel

Thanks Ed. My wife told me to stop mucking about now and get started on her shoe cupboard....

No good deed goes unpunished when married :clap:

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Looks awesome G, I need to have a quiet word with that "Stretch" oke sometime.

sooooo....we have a Lab, she is a bit of a guts, we have an eldest son who was not paying attention and did not come and get his lunch on the dining room table when told to by his mother.

end result = guts getting her nails into the new dining room table (I know it is a "rustic table" but hey) and gouging the surface....and to the bench seating at the same time!

is there anything that can be done to remove the nail marks at all?

timber = oregon pine

miss guts partially visible on the last pic

post-5403-0-59770600-1475753639_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-76478000-1475753645_thumb.jpg

sooooo....we have a Lab, she is a bit of a guts, we have an eldest son who was not paying attention and did not come and get his lunch on the dining room table when told to by his mother.

end result = guts getting her nails into the new dining room table (I know it is a "rustic table" but hey) and gouging the surface....and to the bench seating at the same time!

timber = oregon pine

An iron and a wet cloth, I've been told. 

timber = oregon pine

An iron and a wet cloth, I've been told. 

what he said. the resultant swelling might not completely occupy the indentations, but it can be significantly reduced.

Steam it, the same procedure used to repair / remodel Rifle Stocks.

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZopTojcbPAhUkCMAKHV2wB_gQtwIIKDAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF_Z_h76Sd1w&usg=AFQjCNEQmqi_J9Jz4cuCvPnbbcF7XP79jA&sig2=m7W2gH3ftR82v_Yc8fG6Yw&bvm=bv.134495766,d.d2s

Plenty more on Google and Youtube.

timber = oregon pine

You could probably try steam them out - but wait 10 years till the kids are grown up and stop dinging the table.... my yellowwood table has about a million small dents from my son banging the back of a fork or something on it - mostly this behavior has stopped now - but I am not fixing it until he is at least 12 - he can damn well sand it down himself.... following my motto of "You F,,ed it, you fix it"

You could probably try steam them out - but wait 10 years till the kids are grown up and stop dinging the table.... my yellowwood table has about a million small dents from my son banging the back of a fork or something on it - mostly this behavior has stopped now - but I am not fixing it until he is at least 12 - he can damn well sand it down himself.... following my motto of "You F,,ed it, you fix it"

does that apply to your wife as well?

RUNS AND HIDES...