Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a product to harden wood, eg, when using pine to make it more hard wearing?

Nope!

(You could put a layer of glass fiber over it)

Lamps finally installed!

ce78acafded72b1b638183e4c2742f09.jpg

do the d/lights vent into the overhead bulkhead ....just worried RE heat build up in the timber 

do the d/lights vent into the overhead bulkhead ....just worried RE heat build up in the timber

Using 3w LED globes, though they generate a bit of heat, it's far less than Halogen downlighters. Have had a test lamp hanging in my kitchen at home for a month now and not had issues with heat or the wood getting hot. I'd not try it with halogen's though.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something I'm picking up a lot recently. If you want outdoor wood to go really vrot ... I mean fall-apart-into-crumbs-vrot ... give it a coat of acrylic paint like Wall & All. It'll make a nice jacket around the wood until water gets in, as water does. Then the water can't get out again, and it's like one of those terrariums that people liked in the 80s (before most of you were born), circulating the moisture round and round ad infinitum.

This shutter, in fact, probably dates from around 1912. It was painted black, then green, then white. All with turps-based enamels. it was the final coat of acrylic that caused the problems.

Some other shutters on the house are new meranti - less than 10 years old, and won't last another 3 winters.

post-14151-0-22604500-1479937687_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-14217800-1479937708_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-58291100-1479937718_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-84053300-1479937731_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-73260700-1479937743_thumb.jpg

Le Turbo

One day when you want to get into heaven, mention to old St Peter that you did stuff like this. It'll be your ticket! I thought nobody did this kind of truly painstaking repairs anymore. It is so good to see.

There are some serious Oak logs for the taking on the pavement cnr Ash & St David Upper Houghton, Jhb.

Some more Oak Tree branches on the pavement there, they are building in the school, cut an Oak down and some nice wood being laid to waste

Edited by kosmonooit

I really don't know why I bother with this. Masochism. Non-profitable masochism.

because no one else will and at least you care enough for the work to do the work.

Hey guys...

Selling my Metabo KS216M - Sliding mitre saw.

Only used a few times for hobby stuff, so in excellent condition.

Includes spare brand new blade.

It is an awesome Saw - but I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on this forum that...

Price....................R1900.00

Linden JHB

Hey guys...

Selling my Metabo KS216M - Sliding mitre saw.

Only used a few times for hobby stuff, so in excellent condition.

Includes spare brand new blade.

It is an awesome Saw - but I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone on this forum that...

Price....................R1900.00

Linden JHB

Send some pictures

So disgusted now.

So SARS is owing me some large ones, and I need a cordless impact driver badly. I looked at a Makita somewhere earlier this year when I bought some other nice tools, but my money was finito so I did not buy. Price was around R5300 then. Just went to Apple, and the new price is R6700. Just 3 months later.

Looks like Rutherford is raping us with sandpaper condoms dipped in acid.  :eek:

What other options do I have. Must be 18V brushless. And no Ryobi. I have standards... :whistling:

Edited by Moridin

So disgusted now.

So SARS is owing me some large ones, and I need a cordless impact driver badly. I looked at a Makita somewhere earlier this year when I bought some other nice tools, but my money was finito so I did not buy. Price was around R5300 then. Just went to Apple, and the new price is R6700. Just 3 months later.

Looks like Rutherford is raping us with sandpaper condoms dipped in acid.  :eek:

What other options do I have. Must be 18V brushless. And no Ryobi. I have standards... :whistling:

I've recently been pondering hte same question. Makita is getting ridiculous. Problem is my whole shop is Makita, so I would likely have to start phasing that out and bringing in a new product. But what?

So disgusted now.

bosch? Metabo?