Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrrrrrrr. Melawood.

I desperately need a new kitchen. But finances, man.

So do I. I fixed three drawers and two doors in my kitchen this weekend, but it needs a complete re-build. But there's zero money right now - work is slow, kids are busy, things break.

Now I'm no longer in an office and getting paid to Bikehub all day, I don't get here as often as I'd like. No more silly banter, no friday barnies. Ah well.

so this is mt latest scrap-wood thingy. I'm getting tired of side tables though. It's the left-overs from the ash bed I made a while back. I had four wedge shaped bits over from cutting the curve on the bed's sides. So I kind of assembled this in bits - just adding a new leg or sidepiece as it needed stability. There wasn't really any plan or design involved, it just evolved.

The legs are ash, and the top is hickory. The dowels are ordinary hardware store meranti, but with ash wedges.

post-14151-0-00095000-1488041514_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-67332700-1488041529_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-78776400-1488041544_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-77340700-1488041560_thumb.jpg

Grrrrrrrr. Melawood.

I desperately need a new kitchen. But finances, man.

Try bespoke stainless cabinets... the ones I like...

Whats the best way to fix this? I cannot push the two parts together to close the gap as it doesnt seem to close all the way.

The pictures uploaded skew...thus is the top lef part of the cabinet.

post-57045-0-57178800-1488121036_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-42116600-1488121062_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-69950500-1488121107_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-79731500-1488121126_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-17688400-1488121141_thumb.jpg

No quick fix on this one.

Best would be to take the door apart.

Suspect the wood twisted after construction and it's just a butt joint.

You need to get a biscuit or small tenon in there.

Even if you manage to pull them together there is no glue that is going to hold that.

Was the wood well seasoned?

No quick fix on this one.

Best would be to take the door apart.

Suspect the wood twisted after construction and it's just a butt joint.

You need to get a biscuit or small tenon in there.

Even if you manage to pull them together there is no glue that is going to hold that.

Was the wood well seasoned?

Biscuit, tenon, seasoned...sounds like a recipe to me..haha

We bought this jewellery cabinet a while back and it came in pieces that you put together. As I was assembling it, the alignment of everything wasnt 100% and twisted as you mentioned but that gap was small and now its just pulled apart.

Okay then that answers the question around seasoning. It wasn't.

As Porqui says, best to take it apart and reglue with either a biscuit or a dowel as extra support. But that's only if it'll fit without making an adjustment to the central bit of the door. Which you may have to do as well. Just 2mm or so should do it.

AlanD do you have a table-saw?

(google biscuit joiner)

Googled that already  :blush: .

No, don't have any wood working tools. I don't work with wood and bought this cabinet online. I have a hacksaw and a tree saw..lol

Oh, crap. Didn't see it was a mirror. In that case you may need to make the recess in the wood deeper (wider) as well as dowelling the joint. Biscuit may be a tad large for the wood, though, which means that a dowel would be the better option. 

Reason I say you may have to make the groove deeper is that it looks as if the wood has shrunk, so you either have to make the glass smaller, or make the recess that it fits into, larger. 

Good thing is that the mirror seems to be held in place by a frame, so it may be an easy job. Take out the mirror, mock up the door, see how much material needs to be removed and then remove with either a router or tablesaw set at a very shallow depth (same depth as the recess)

That, or take it to a carpenter to sort out. Should be able to fix it in a short amount of time. 

Oh, crap. Didn't see it was a mirror. In that case you may need to make the recess in the wood deeper (wider) as well as dowelling the joint. Biscuit may be a tad large for the wood, though, which means that a dowel would be the better option. 

Reason I say you may have to make the groove deeper is that it looks as if the wood has shrunk, so you either have to make the glass smaller, or make the recess that it fits into, larger. 

Good thing is that the mirror seems to be held in place by a frame, so it may be an easy job. Take out the mirror, mock up the door, see how much material needs to be removed and then remove with either a router or tablesaw set at a very shallow depth (same depth as the recess)

That, or take it to a carpenter to sort out. Should be able to fix it in a short amount of time. 

Yes, its a mirror...I like to watch...hahahaha

Ok don't have all the tools to do a proper job so might just have to take it to a carpenter.

Yes, its a mirror...I like to watch...hahahaha

Ok don't have all the tools to do a proper job so might just have to take it to a carpenter.

Hi Alan, easy fix:

Go buy some 6mm dowel rod, look for saligna, it should have a similar colour than the wood in your picture.

By a 6mm wood bit.

Step 1:

Clean the joint and re-glue.

Step 2:

Clamp square on, make sure its a nice joint through clamping

Step3:

When the glue has cured, clamps off

Step4:

Drill a 6mm hole into the joint

Take dowel rod, dip in glue, insert in the hole, cut to size and viola!

Joint should hold a long time.