Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

As above - all true,

Sawmilling operations are always wet operations for a reason

1. Tool durability goes out the window on dry material (that specific tree in the picture is probably in excess of 50 years old and rock hard)

2. Drying needs to happen in plank form when placed in stacks so the results are consistent to the species.

Yes, you can process dry, but a blue gum tree is not worth the effort.

Collect the wood, chop for braai or pizza oven

And bluegum is a beeeeeyatch. 

Woah. That stuff can destroy a chainsaw blade. Had to remove a few from the trail in Tokai. Just small ones. Had to sharpen the blade about 2 or 3 times during the day. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally work with slightly softer woods and in a slightly smaller scale :thumbup:

I grew up with those. My Dad even wrote a book - I'm about to donate most of the remaining stuff to the SA Model Aircraft Association, including hundreds of plans he collected from the 1930s to the 1980s.

post-14151-0-60475000-1484902884_thumb.jpg

Farted around on the lathe a bit last night. Red ivory twist pen. I might end up doing these only in runs of 25+ units, with laser engraving/branding.

post-29544-0-07579000-1484902507_thumb.jpeg

I'm busy scaling the rubber band gun side of the biz a bit, they sold like hotcakes over November and December (yeah I know, Christmas gifts, but even if I do a quarter of those sales in a normal month I'd be waxed) so not a lot of time for other stuff. Ran out of stock three times  :eek: Out of stock now as well, busy making three new models (including a pistol) and doing some experimental shop displays for them - still going to 'distress' stain and stencil them (I think)

post-29544-0-21415200-1484902933_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-15367900-1484902936_thumb.jpeg

Seems as if a lot of people bought shitty beds in December, I spent the week between Christmas and New years fixing creaks in at least 15 of them. Not all from the same place or manufacturer ... one guy had a 'Solid Mahogany' bed that turned out to be 80% chipboard, 15% pine and 5% mahogany stain - bought for the bargain price of R17 000 (base and headboard only) Told him to take it back.

This bed frame is for a well known guy in the CT cycling world. It's a solid ash frame built up around an existing slat structure. Handcut dovetails and mostly handshaped with plane and spokeshave, though I did resort to sanding discs and even an arbortech disc I've had lying unused for 15 years.

Doing this job gave me new appreciation for the Scandinavian woodworkers and guys like Sam Maloof. It's not so much a case of just rounding stuff - the shadow lines are vital and incredibly difficult to see until you've put finish on. Then it's too late.

post-14151-0-98155100-1484903258_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-02460500-1484903274_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-75872200-1484903297_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-30706300-1484903309_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-42271600-1484903316_thumb.jpg

Farted around on the lathe a bit last night. Red ivory twist pen. I might end up doing these only in runs of 25+ units, with laser engraving/branding.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-01-20 at 10.47.54.jpeg

I'm busy scaling the rubber band gun side of the biz a bit, they sold like hotcakes over November and December (yeah I know, Christmas gifts, but even if I do a quarter of those sales in a normal month I'd be waxed) so not a lot of time for other stuff. Ran out of stock three times :eek: Out of stock now as well, busy making three new models (including a pistol) and doing some experimental shop displays for them - still going to 'distress' stain and stencil them (I think)

attachicon.gifcrate 1.jpeg

attachicon.gifcrate 2.jpeg

Seems as if a lot of people bought shitty beds in December, I spent the week between Christmas and New years fixing creaks in at least 15 of them. Not all from the same place or manufacturer ... one guy had a 'Solid Mahogany' bed that turned out to be 80% chipboard, 15% pine and 5% mahogany stain - bought for the bargain price of R17 000 (base and headboard only) Told him to take it back.

Have you ever checked out the slingshot channel on youtube?

Some cool ideas there!

https://youtu.be/tbKGjRoSofA

Edited by jimmycool

This bed frame is for a well known guy in the CT cycling world. It's a solid ash frame built up around an existing slat structure. Handcut dovetails and mostly handshaped with plane and spokeshave, though I did resort to sanding discs and even an arbortech disc I've had lying unused for 15 years.

Doing this job gave me new appreciation for the Scandinavian woodworkers and guys like Sam Maloof. It's not so much a case of just rounding stuff - the shadow lines are vital and incredibly difficult to see until you've put finish on. Then it's too late.

Beautiful, Turbo. 

Nils Hansen @WCW

WHAT!?

I grew up with those. My Dad even wrote a book - I'm about to donate most of the remaining stuff to the SA Model Aircraft Association, including hundreds of plans he collected from the 1930s to the 1980s.

I would be willing to take on some donations :whistling:  :drool:

Not trying to dissuade you but SAMAA have no museum or anything to display things like this...so it may get dumped in a corner of an office somewhere and eventually destroyed. 

Rather post what you have in the model section of Avcom...At least it will get dispersed amoungst guys who would appreciate it.

Edited by Skinnyone

Sorry for the wrong youtube link.

Stoopid MTN advert somehow hijacked the link!

I have replaced it with the one I meant to put there.

I said it before, I love your stuff and this Maloof style bed, pure class!

Anyone have any ideas on how much Lignum vitae wood sells for and is there much demand for it?

It's that very hard wood that was used for bearings in watery environments like boat props/hydro electric turbines etc. Also knife handles, door handles because it's so hard.

WhatsApp Image 2017-01-20 at 10.47.54.jpeg

I'm busy scaling the rubber band gun side of the biz a bit, they sold like hotcakes over November and December (yeah I know, Christmas gifts, but even if I do a quarter of those sales in a normal month I'd be waxed) so not a lot of time for other stuff. Ran out of stock three times :eek: Out of stock now as well, busy making three new models (including a pistol) and doing some experimental shop displays for them - still going to 'distress' stain and stencil them (I think)

crate 1.jpeg

crate 2.jpeg

I might be keen for one of those pens, please PM me with details and pricing?