Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aeromodelling. One of the most honest hobbies a boy could practice. Also dying out because of game consoles etc.

Its costly and requires space.

I have done some models in my younger years, some boats and some planes. Moved on to electronics after school. Building the Boats were some intense fun but required alot of space that would not get interrupted.

I do think hobbies as a whole is shifting, gaming and online activities have made us forget what it feels like to build things.

Aeromodelling. One of the most honest hobbies a boy could practice. Also dying out because of game consoles etc.

Yep! So I managed to finish that plane this weekend and took it to the field to test it out, there was the usual crowd with their planes, after the first couple of flights they realized that this plane was different, so they approached me. Some of the questions were shocking but understandable;

How do you control it? - I don't, it's a free flight model and goes where the wind takes it.

Where did you buy it? - I didn't I built it using balsa from the hobby shop.

How did you build it? - Really?

and so it went on...I came to realize though that most of these people have entered the hobby because now you can buy a ready to fly plane and there is minimal effort required...so they have no idea of the basics and history of the hobby...

Its costly and requires space.

I have done some models in my younger years, some boats and some planes. Moved on to electronics after school. Building the Boats were some intense fun but required alot of space that would not get interrupted.

I do think hobbies as a whole is shifting, gaming and online activities have made us forget what it feels like to build things.

Requires space - yes

Costly - not so much...A LOT less than cycling has ever cost me! 

Let me back that statement up a bit, for a newbie to get fully kitted out in the hobby I could set them up completely (using new or second hand goods) for R5k or less - that is also factoring in room for upgrades.

In cycling a half decent second hand bike alone would set you back no less than R5k then you still have the helmet and at least shorts - Minimal requirements to go for a half decent doddle along the spruit or down the road...

Of course as with any hobby you have the option to buy a turbine jet for R100k plus or a Pinarello for R100k plus so it is your choice as to how far you go and how much money you want to spend on your past time.

Skinny no disagreement there, however I think most parents will rather get a bicycle get kids out and about than buy hobby kit. 

Maybe its just my experience :)

As a kid all I wanted was a remote controlled Heli, Got a lot of other things that were costly along the years but got me out of house mostly. Eventually gaming took over and spent money that route.

Gents, while on the subject of model airies, any good online shop that can be recommended locally? Alternatively elsewhere?

Thanks

Skinny no disagreement there, however I think most parents will rather get a bicycle get kids out and about than buy hobby kit. 

Maybe its just my experience :)

As a kid all I wanted was a remote controlled Heli, Got a lot of other things that were costly along the years but got me out of house mostly. Eventually gaming took over and spent money that route.

Yep no disagreement there...

I have found there are two distinct types of parents - Chequebook parents and hands on parents...

Chequebook parents work all the time and are hardly around for the kid - the kid is raised by "the help" and when the parents are around, they buy anything the kid wants because they feel guilty for not being around - so you get a spoilt brat who just sits indoors and plays computer games or watches TV...

My wife and I are hands on types, we don't earn huge amounts of money in our jobs, but spend the weekends with our boys, I go flying with them on Saturday mornings and then we normally go to Emmerentia or do a ride along the spruit with them...get them out and about.

Gents, while on the subject of model airies, any good online shop that can be recommended locally? Alternatively elsewhere?

Thanks

Al's Hobbies has a good site, just choose the .co.za site as there is a UK based one too.

I might be keen for one of those pens, please PM me with details and pricing?

You're looking at around R200 each for either a pen or pencil, chrome or gold plated, without engraving. The guy I use for engraving only does bulk orders so it's going to work out horrendous if you only want one or two items engraved - probably around R200 a shot  :eek:

I've got Rhodesian Teak, Rosewood, Stinkwood, Yellowwood, Kiaat, Walnut, Cherry and Beechwood available - let me know what you think. It will take a day or two to make to your preference.

Busy with some stuffs

Finished a pallet clad on Saturday

post-29544-0-54755000-1485765158_thumb.jpeg

The pallet cladding fits right between the tv and the cabinet. I didn't want to overdo it as it's a really small flat.

Finishing up these two coffee tables - the edges are sleeper 'skins' - thin outside planks from salvaged sleepers

post-29544-0-99614600-1485765216_thumb.jpeg

And then this ...

post-29544-0-79139600-1485765268_thumb.jpeg

Bottled 96 bottles of chilli sauce. Jalapeno, Red Thai and Sweet chilli (with a proper bite) Will be mature around next week sometime. A little sideline that I do to keep the screws turning :D

Busy with some stuffs

Finished a pallet clad on Saturday

attachicon.gifPallet clad.jpeg

The pallet cladding fits right between the tv and the cabinet. I didn't want to overdo it as it's a really small flat.

Finishing up these two coffee tables - the edges are sleeper 'skins' - thin outside planks from salvaged sleepers

attachicon.gifSleeper coffee tables.jpeg

And then this ...

attachicon.gifchilli sauce 1.jpeg

Bottled 96 bottles of chilli sauce. Jalapeno, Red Thai and Sweet chilli (with a proper bite) Will be mature around next week sometime. A little sideline that I do to keep the screws turning :D

I do a chili sauce that you should give a spin ... well I think it is rocking.

I do not measure out, so go by gut feel, taste and smell

• Good old mix of green and red chilies chopped up
  • fresh pressed lemon
  • lemon rind finely chopped
  • mixed herbs
  • generous salt + pepper
  • oil

Don't think I missed anything.

My wife has a "small" collection of Wade Whimsy ornaments and they were in several printers trays around the house.

I had an old dead piano made out of solid mahogany which I took apart and re-sawed all the panels down to the correct dimensions and here is the end result.

The picture is not very good as the passage is not wide enough to get the whole thing in one photo so I tried to use the panorama function, hence the curved look.

Overall, it is 1.2 metres high and 2 metres wide.

8b7305135409ac2e387c715f1842740b.jpg