Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So glad to find another leather head on here. :clap: And yes, you are welcome to post here. I've pushed the envelope with leather and people seemed to be OK with it.

Oh, and those loitery (intended) bags are bloody difficult things to get right, I'm impressed! :thumbup:

Woodheads is the oldest shop in Cape Town that still functions and belong to the same family. Since somewhere in the 1800s if I remember right. In my head right on par with a few bike shops in terms of coolness.

How did you inscribe / imprint your signature like that? I really like the look of it!

Thanks!  That loiter bag did give me some issues the first time.  The second one was only a little easier.  I am busy with one now that someone wants to buy so I decided to make a decent template in Adobe illustrator and printed that out over 2 A3 sheets.  I marked all the stitching lines and holes on the template so that I can punch them first before I put the liner in.  As soon as the liner is in it makes it very difficult to mark and punch the holes.  I will know tonight if all the holes lined up and if this made the process easier.  

My signature is a brass stamp that my girlfriend got for me some years back.  The idea was to burn that into all my woodworking projects.  I heated it up a bit but not to much, then I apply a lot of pressure down onto the piece of leather.  It is a bit of a hit and a miss,  if it is to hot then the leather burns and if it is to cold it does not leave a nice imprint.  I still want to try and not heat it up but rather unscrew it from the handle and put it in the vice with the leather to get much more pressure.  Maybe I should try that tonight as well.  

As for Woodheads, I think I can spend much more time in there than in a bike shop.  I can at least afford some of the stuff in Woodheads and then sell the end product to make some money back.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any woodworkers who prefer to use, or like to use hand tools?

Yes. It depends on the project, though. Some hand tools are just better than machines. Like, I'll never get my electric planer out for a piece unless it's REALLY bad, as they have a tendency to run away if you're not extremely careful. Likewise, hand-saws. Japanese hand saws, particularly, but any hand saw is a joy to use in the right applications. 

Chisels, hand drills, files and so on. Love em. 

Thanks.  Do you think if I put them up on the classifieds and say they are "mint" I will get burned at the stake?

Well, they're brand new and unused, so.... probably. :lol:

I have seen a guy do leather imprint with a vice and think was 3d printed logo, soaked the leather for while then clamped till dry.

Not really something I actively follow as my general interests usually involve a mess for some reason.

Very much into 3d printing/CNC automation type projects.

Woodworking and Leather working is beautiful and cathartic to do, I chiseled a lip out of a block yesterday to fit a space (its ugly in end didnt even try neatly done) was super cool. I do need to sharpen and reform tips of the chisels they pretty @#%#$^. But all in good time got other things going on since class started up the Router table project is front centre as I want to use it for the project section.

I am looking for "pallet wood". Anyone know where I can get(preferably close to edenvale) where I wont pay an arm and a leg. I tried pallet wizzard in edenvale and the have new and used pallet wood. The new is R15 per M. A mate of mine just did his kitchen walls and it looks very good and we would like to do something similar at our place. He got his from Dynamic timber and pallet in benoni. He got 1 cube, which is probably about how much I would need. I could go and get from them but If anyone knows of somewhere closer that would be cool. I would prefer new wood without all the holes as I already have plenty used pallets at my place.

Or any suggestions as to what wood to use........

Maybe plain pine and try burn it but that is going to take a while?

I want to achieve this effect.

post-58906-0-10089100-1591606417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Long Wheel Base

SO if i was starting out and wanted to start making some stuff out of wood. Complete beginner - have some drills and a circular saw (hand held etc) in the garage. I was looking at getting a cross cut/mitre saw.

For a beginner - what would you recommend? Saw some Dewalt stuff and these things go anything between R 4,5 and R 9k. I am not sure i am that serious - maybe just a bit of dabbling but i would like to start somewhere.

What do you recommend i look at ?

BTW half the issue with me is buying new tools.

Did you do anything to the pine to get it to look like that?

Yes, I first used some black wood filler, water down to use as grain filler, then applied some gel stain in the grooves, and sanded it back down, Then woodoc 20 over the top 

post-12682-0-42985000-1591608478_thumb.jpeg

SO if i was starting out and wanted to start making some stuff out of wood. Complete beginner - have some drills and a circular saw (hand held etc) in the garage. I was looking at getting a cross cut/mitre saw.

For a beginner - what would you recommend? Saw some Dewalt stuff and these things go anything between R 4,5 and R 9k. I am not sure i am that serious - maybe just a bit of dabbling but i would like to start somewhere.

What do you recommend i look at ?

BTW half the issue with me is buying new tools.

There is a nice metabo sliding mitre saw on sale at the moment on Takealot. I thinks it is going for around R4k.

I'm a 50/50 woodworker.

I love keeping my skills with my handtools dialed in and therfore love mixing up my projects with hand tools and then my power tools.

I have a favourite plane for finishing work when edges feel a bit proud, smoothing out slight inperfections and the like. So I finesse them to where they are needed with my Stanley 101 Sweetheart, if you ever find one, buy it, mine is from 1950 something. I also absolutely love my Dozuki "Z" saw for fine joinery and flush cutting when it's close to the edge. That being said, the worst saw and handtool I have is a Stanley Tennon Saw...why I haven't chucked it I honestly don't know. It's a crude tool, I just don't like it. 

I can't walk past a Stanley or Record spoke shave though, I don't ever use them much, but I love having them. I sometimes just sit with coffee and some background music admiring them and realising that they were never really used by the previous owners either.  

I use hand tools most of the time.  It is cheaper to get into woodworking with hand tools and for me there is more satisfaction in completing a project using hand tools rather than power tools.  If money was not a problem and I had to get stuff done quick, power tools are obviously more suited for that.  But if you are your only customer then that customer can wait a bit longer for his project to be finished.  

Maybe if I had the money to buy a decent table saw, jointer, a dovetail jig and all that sort of stuff that makes live easier I might change my mind on hand tools.  For now it is all I got.  

I do want to save up and buy a drill press.  There is no way I am able to drill a straight hole in wood, I have tried and failed on numerous occasions.

I use hand tools most of the time.  It is cheaper to get into woodworking with hand tools and for me there is more satisfaction in completing a project using hand tools rather than power tools.  If money was not a problem and I had to get stuff done quick, power tools are obviously more suited for that.  But if you are your only customer then that customer can wait a bit longer for his project to be finished.  

Maybe if I had the money to buy a decent table saw, jointer, a dovetail jig and all that sort of stuff that makes live easier I might change my mind on hand tools.  For now it is all I got.  

I do want to save up and buy a drill press.  There is no way I am able to drill a straight hole in wood, I have tried and failed on numerous occasions.

Hi CJ Van,

I also struggle with perpendicular holes by hand...  And I have quite a number of them coming up soonish.

Have anybody tried this?

1318_s1-new-2.jpg

https://hardwarecentre.co.za/product/accu-drill-mate/

PS:  I see Hardware Centre has EVENTUALLY launched their online store!!!!  I find they are often cheaper that Toolcraft - but to always have to call / email for a quote and then an EFT made that I only used them if Toolcraft did not have stock.

PS PS:  Do you guys know the good Afrikaans for "eventually"?   Na 'n moerse gesukkel!   :lol:  :lol:

Hi CJ Van,

I also struggle with perpendicular holes by hand...  And I have quite a number of them coming up soonish.

Have anybody tried this?

1318_s1-new-2.jpg

PS:  I see Hardware Centre has EVENTUALLY launched their online store!!!!  I find they are often cheaper that Toolcraft - but to always have to call / email for a quote and then an EFT made that I only used them if Toolcraft did not have stock.

PS PS:  Do you guys know the good Afrikaans for "eventually"?   Na 'n moerse gesukkel!   :lol:  :lol:

Uiteindelik? pfft, my frog is better than my afro, so don't trust my guidance ;)

Amazon rates the milescraft a very solid 4/5 stars with almost a thousand reviews.

post-6789-0-76033100-1591624999_thumb.png

Hi CJ Van,

Have anybody tried this?

1318_s1-new-2.jpg

I bought something like that a year or 2 ago, used it once and it now sits in my scrap bin.  The one I got was a bit cheaper than this one, this one looks much more sturdy that the one I have.  There was to much play in mine and the shaft of the chuck was not 100% straight.  Maybe I should try my luck with this one. 

I still think a drill press from Adendorff will be a better investment.  The next project I have that require perpendicular holes I will probably close my eyes and buy a 16mm bench drill press from them.