Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I like this guy's method;

Maybe just tape the edges and/or clamp an extra piece of wood over the cutting area to prevent splintering.

Dont be a wuss, make Matthias Wandel's version with the gear advance, no dado stack needed for that one. :P

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find one of my grandfathers old planes in a box at my moms place this weekend.

Its not a high quality plane, found this out from trying to google it and seeing that forged frog vs machined frog is the normal difference. Still it has sentimental value so Im going to restore it.

The thing is rusted badly and has a broken handle so Im going to make new handles for it and sort out the rust.

This is what it currently looks like.

post-4822-0-96567000-1502698295_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-12130300-1502698340_thumb.jpg

I find one of my grandfathers old planes in a box at my moms place this weekend.

Its not a high quality plane, found this out from trying to google it and seeing that forged frog vs machined frog is the normal difference. Still it has sentimental value so Im going to restore it.

The thing is rusted badly and has a broken handle so Im going to make new handles for it and sort out the rust.

This is what it currently looks like.

attachicon.gifplane1.jpg

attachicon.gifconponents.jpg

look into DIY rust removal via electrolysis. Saw a youtube vid recently, and the results were staggeringly impressive, and only using 1 AA battery overnight.

look into DIY rust removal via electrolysis. Saw a youtube vid recently, and the results were staggeringly impressive, and only using 1 AA battery overnight.

Sounds good, will definitely take a look at that. I also saw one where it was all soaked in vinegar for a few hours but Im worried about metal composition, had quite a bit of pitting when I used the vinegar soak to remove mill scale on a mild steel square bar recently.

I think there may be a fair bit of pitting to begin with though because my grandfather was forgetful and would often leave tools outside for a month or two at a time after using them.

I think there may be a fair bit of pitting to begin with though because my grandfather was forgetful and would often leave tools outside for a month or two at a time after using them.

The terrible result of old age. My grand father was a excellent carpenter, and he is still making cool furniture.

But he also forgot to close a running tap which flooded his entire workshop. We only realised this after a few weeks, and by then EVERYTHING was rusted, including his entire Millers Falls planes set.

post-37005-0-28944700-1502708558_thumb.jpg

That plane should clean up easily enough. Consider using Hammerite smooth black paint as it does not need an undercoat and sorts out any rust left behind. Just on the painted metal. I would consider fixing that handle.

The terrible result of old age. My grand father was a excellent carpenter, and he is still making cool furniture.

But he also forgot to close a running tap which flooded his entire workshop. We only realised this after a few weeks, and by then EVERYTHING was rusted, including his entire Millers Falls planes set.

Urgh very sad to see such good tools like that but the restoration is quite fun to do.

That plane should clean up easily enough. Consider using Hammerite smooth black paint as it does not need an undercoat and sorts out any rust left behind. Just on the painted metal. I would consider fixing that handle.

Was definitely considering hammerite for the internal areas and then taping off the contact points to avoid paint getting on there.

The back handle should be quite interesting to copy, it needs to be drilled exactly and will require a fair deal of hand shaping.

The front knob should be super simple and I will just turn that on the lathe.

Slightly off topic, Anyone know where I can get kitchen counter top/formica in Joburg? Preferably close to the east rand. I am busy selling one of my rental units and have an insurance claim in for some water damage to the kitchen counter and the insurance/body corporate are busy stuffing me around so need to change it/get it changed ASAP myself. The colour is a light grey and I would prefer to try match that so I only need to replace the damaged area. If I can't match it I will need 2 pieces(3600x600), If I can match i'll only need 1. I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good.

post-58906-0-30955600-1502782301_thumb.jpg

Slightly off topic, Anyone know where I can get kitchen counter top/formica in Joburg? Preferably close to the east rand. I am busy selling one of my rental units and have an insurance claim in for some water damage to the kitchen counter and the insurance/body corporate are busy stuffing me around so need to change it/get it changed ASAP myself. The colour is a light grey and I would prefer to try match that so I only need to replace the damaged area. If I can't match it I will need 2 pieces(3600x600), If I can match i'll only need 1. I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170812_132911.jpg

Any Mega Mica or Builders or Cashbuild

Edited by GrahamS2

Holtey planes. jeepers.

http://www.holteyplanes.com/images/982-Exploded-view.jpg

http://www.holteyplanes.com/images/no984_3040.jpg

http://www.holteyplanes.com/images/lastA31a.jpg

Wow just looking at that price made my eyes water...