Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I found the exact opposite to be true of the 19mm dowels I have used, they were all bigger than 19mm. I measured with a caliper and they vary between 19.11 and 20.02mm. Solution for me was to mount them between centers on the lathe and sand them down.

You could also cut to size and mount them in a drill press and sand or even a hand drill.

Its apparently a super common thing that store bought dowels are never the exact size.

You can also drill the sized hole you need through a piece of steel and then tap them through with a hammer. It only works effectively though for short pieces.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit frustrated at the moment:

Timbercity, Builder's Warehouse and Mica sell salinga dowels that are smaller than their description. Which resulted in me drilling 10 mm and 6 mm holes, only to find nasty gaps when I wanted to install the the dowels.

How do Hubbers plug dowels?

• Use drill bits that are not common sizes?
  • Turn your own dowel pins?
  • Take your vernier to the shops and measure dowels?

add a bit of flair to the ill fitting dowel by splitting the dowel down a short length and across one diameter  ( or both diameters to make a cross pattern),and wedge that sucker in using a contrasting or matching color wedge.

Edited by Capricorn

add a bit of flair to the ill fitting dowel by splitting the dowel down a short length and across one diameter  ( or both diameters to make a cross pattern),and wedge that sucker in using a contrasting or matching color wedge.

Wedged dowels look really cool, that is a great idea.

Saw a demo of this biscuit jointer the other day, really nice piece of kit if you're building cabinets.

I saw it at last weekend's Pretoria woodworker show - seems impressive, but seems expensive.  Did not even stay to hear the prices.

I saw it at last weekend's Pretoria woodworker show - seems impressive, but seems expensive.  Did not even stay to hear the prices.

Often the case with those things, the consumables are priced very high.

I saw it at last weekend's Pretoria woodworker show - seems impressive, but seems expensive. Did not even stay to hear the prices.

The machine is R19k...

The weekend project this weekend wasn't too exciting, built 2 more picnic tables for the local tennis club.

Bought this little tool a while ago, you set the depth you want the head to stop at, makes screwing slats down a lot simpler.

a8d9d7761c53cebd2d746dd99efdc534.jpg

Called a "dimpler", originated in the drywall industry

The weekend project this weekend wasn't too exciting, built 2 more picnic tables for the local tennis club.

Bought this little tool a while ago, you set the depth you want the head to stop at, makes screwing slats down a lot simpler.

a8d9d7761c53cebd2d746dd99efdc534.jpg

Looks like it would strip the screwhead really badly..........

Right so Im finally done. I decided to hold off on the dog holes for a few weeks until I have used the bench some more and know how and where I want them.

The whole thing was given a single layer of boiled linseed oil because its untreated pine so I figured it needed something to look after it.

post-4822-0-12331800-1507544596_thumb.jpg

I added a roundover to the edges on the top, I was in two minds about doing this so I leaned over it to route the furthest edge and ended up with a splinter in my stomach during that process. So roundover it was!

post-4822-0-99624300-1507544674_thumb.jpg

The vise has lost some of its opening width due to the thickness of the jaws, I dont really see this as a problem though and I will need that extra heft for putting the dog holes in. The insides of the jaws didnt get any linseed oil, Im still contemplating lining them with thin leather so that I dont need to clamp things as tightly.

post-4822-0-34077000-1507544994_thumb.jpg

The dowels gave the top quite a nice look, so ended up being functional and giving it a bit of character at the same time. Meranti was all I could find as a hardwood in the sizes I needed so hopefully it will be up to the job.

post-4822-0-16085700-1507545077_thumb.jpg

I learnt a lot doing this project, its been a lot of fun and resulted in a lot of swearing at times.

Turns out the most vicious plane I own is also the smallest one, LA block planes are not to be understimated!! that thing could chew up knots and end grain like none of my others.

Im now looking forward to getting some of the small projects done that have been on my mind for a while. Something quick will be welcome for a change!

Love the bench RB - hope it gets lots of use!

May I suggest:

attachicon.gif15ce7924a9f1887a82d0ea3c78f51e27.jpg

Thanks man.

That does look very cool, one of the things Im looking at building is a finger joint jog for my table saw. Either that or I need to build a router table and jig it that way.

I also need to figure out how Im going to create tool storage behind the bench, though of possibly cutting and mounting plywood to the wall and then making some individual holders for all the bits.