Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

faed83bb7aa02544b6a8b08152a28b92.jpg

Some timber we were planing today, before ripping it into strips, I was not happy that we had to rip these nice wide planks (they average 285mm wide) to 50mm strips. 10 Cubes of White Oak, beautiful planks!

That is such nice material!

Probably going to turn it into some architectural feature in one of the new office buildings in Maputo

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

faed83bb7aa02544b6a8b08152a28b92.jpg

Some timber we were planing today, before ripping it into strips, I was not happy that we had to rip these nice wide planks (they average 285mm wide) to 50mm strips. 10 Cubes of White Oak, beautiful planks!

Sad to rip down such awesome grain patterns. When I see that much wood stacked I get flashbacks of standing for hours with my no4 trying to get things squared up...

The row of planes he passes right after the mystery thing with a handle were all in excess of R5,000.00 a plane :eek:

The really big planes cost in excess of R35,000.00

Jeez Louise :eek: :eek: :eek:

The row of planes he passes right after the mystery thing with a handle were all in excess of R5,000.00 a plane :eek:

The really big planes cost in excess of R35,000.00

Jeez Louise :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow that is really hectic. I tried to see some numbers watching it again and I couldnt pick them up. There is some real craftsmanship in making those planes though.

Debatable but I think relevant here!

This is part of a school art project that my eldest did recently. It is about re-cycling. He made a woodcut of a sawed off tree stump, on a scrapped old school desk. This was printed on paper, that, like the desk, came from a tree that was felled. The death of the tree made the desk, that helped many young minds grow, some carved their initials into that desk, another carved it and made a monoprint, an artwork........and so, some would say, it gained immortality......or at least another life!

I think I should now use it for making a cutting board. That would be quite fitting with the theme of re-purposing things and giving them mew life.  

post-17716-0-00902900-1508167326_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

You should hang it from the wall... it is far to awesome to slowly chop up with a carving knife

I was thinking of cutting it a bit narrower and then using the opposite side as a cutting board. That is, provided I can get decades worth of chewing gum and unidentified stuff cleaned off and sterilized well enough that my wife would be willing to go near it with food. When not in use it will stand on its' side to dry and then the woodcut will be visible.

I wasnt joking when I said that I might have a problem with collecting planes to restore...  :whistling:

post-4822-0-62637200-1508395355_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-07155000-1508395379_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-81434700-1508395393_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-00832900-1508395408_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-45459000-1508395420_thumb.jpg

Grand total is:

1x no8

4x no6

2x no5 1/2

21x no5

4x no4

3x no3

Mostly Stanleys with some Records thrown in for good measure. There are also two Falcon no5's which I had never seen before, made in Australia and actually very solid planes. Their iron's and chip breakers are thicker than the Stanley or Record ones.

The pile of totes are just the ones that are not broken, there are quite a few more needing repairs or rebuilds.

Its going to be quite something trying to match the frogs to the correct bodies and be period specific.

I wasnt joking when I said that I might have a problem with collecting planes to restore...  :whistling:

attachicon.gifplanes1.jpg

attachicon.gifplanes2.jpg

attachicon.gifplanes3.jpg

attachicon.gifplanes4.jpg

attachicon.gifplanes5.jpg

Grand total is:

1x no8

4x no6

2x no5 1/2

21x no5

4x no4

3x no3

Mostly Stanleys with some Records thrown in for good measure. There are also two Falcon no5's which I had never seen before, made in Australia and actually very solid planes. Their iron's and chip breakers are thicker than the Stanley or Record ones.

The pile of totes are just the ones that are not broken, there are quite a few more needing repairs or rebuilds.

Its going to be quite something trying to match the frogs to the correct bodies and be period specific.

Fabulous addiction to have!!!

About the falcons: I wonder if perhaps they were made more robust due to the predominance of eucalyptus as lumber in Australia? Most euc's are either very hard or very stringy, never really soft.

Fabulous addiction to have!!!

About the falcons: I wonder if perhaps they were made more robust due to the predominance of eucalyptus as lumber in Australia? Most euc's are either very hard or very stringy, never really soft.

Very possible, most of the vids I have watched with Aussies they talk about some very hard local woods. The iron is substantially thicker than the Stanley ones seems to be a harder steel from my sharpening attempts.

So, do you sell the "doubles" you have after restoration?

*Asking for a friend

I will have quite a few lurking around looking for a home at broprices if any hubbers want.

Will probably just keep one of each size.