Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great job RB! :thumbup: Cheers to years of great projects!

Thanks Cap. 

I really need to get back on my bike too, spent most of the weekends trying to get this done and fitness has taken a beating.

Thanks man.

That does look very cool, one of the things Im looking at building is a finger joint jog for my table saw. Either that or I need to build a router table and jig it that way.

I also need to figure out how Im going to create tool storage behind the bench, though of possibly cutting and mounting plywood to the wall and then making some individual holders for all the bits.

If you look in the earlier pages of this thread I showed some of my router table jigs for box-joints. Very easy project with super results in the finished product.

Go for it!

Latest addition - Makita 5143R. This will be built into a Table Saw when I have the time. It is a beast - never seen such a big circular saw yet...

New price close to R 14 000. I paid R 1600. Good condition.

For the price you paid I suppose it's not so bad to build it into a table saw, but that thing has a very decent alloy base for a circular saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cap. 

I really need to get back on my bike too, spent most of the weekends trying to get this done and fitness has taken a beating.

Congrats on your project. My bench has been in construction for how long. With me it has been the other way around. I am so much on my bike on weekends training for the W2W that I don't get no time for nothing else. Did a 30km ride from my home in Strand to Helderberg top and back on Friday afternoon late, and then did a 75km ride to a T-junction just before Franschhoek via Hels and back on Saturday morning.

When I walked into my home I just flopped onto the bed and waited for the rugga to begin, so no amount of shavings were made.  :blush:

Edited by Moridin

Latest addition - Makita 5143R. This will be built into a Table Saw when I have the time. It is a beast - never seen such a big circular saw yet...

New price close to R 14 000. I paid R 1600. Good condition.

Wow that is a monster.

Is that a Nova DVR sitting in the background I see?

Congrats on your project. My bench has been in construction for how long. With me it has been the other way around. I am so much on my bike on weekends training for the W2W that I don't get no time for nothing else. Did a 30km ride from my home in Strand to Helderberg top and back on Friday afternoon late, and then did a 75km ride to a T-junction just before Franschhoek via Hels and back on Saturday morning.

When I walked into my home I just flopped onto the bed and waited for the rugga to begin, so no amount of shavings were made.  :blush:

On the plus side to that I get to see your update pics when you get back on to it. I love seeing what everyone is up to.

Im busy planning out a plane storage shelf now and its definitely going to have space for a Veritas LA jack and Im thinking a DX60 too.

On the plus side to that I get to see your update pics when you get back on to it. I love seeing what everyone is up to.

Im busy planning out a plane storage shelf now and its definitely going to have space for a Veritas LA jack and Im thinking a DX60 too.

Right now, here is where I am at:

And also progressing slowly to get my garage organised, although my Husky keeps on leaving surprises on my garage floor:

BTW, that bike there in the pic is my gardener's Gary Fischer. All my bikes sleep safely in my home.

Edited by Moridin

attachicon.gifIMG_1747.JPG

And also progressing slowly to get my garage organised, although my Husky keeps on leaving surprises on my garage floor:

attachicon.gifIMG_1748.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1749.JPG

BTW, that bike there in the pic is my gardener's Gary Fischer. All my bikes sleep safely in my home.

That bench looks properly solid, are you going for a roubo type with it?

Cant see 100% from the pic but are those rectangular dog holes along the length of it?

Nice Campy wheel bag there, I think one of mine might have made a few cameo appearances in my build pics at some stage.

Yes, thinking of almost Roubo type bench, but I will have Record Quick-Action vice on front and Veritas Twin Screw on end, like the Samurai's bench.

Yes, rectangular dog holes.

Base has bunch of beefy mortice joints that are wedged and glued. The stretchers are bolted on. Those stretchers are 144 X 70 beams. The rest is 100 X 70.

Edited by Moridin

attachicon.gifIMG_1747.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1748.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1749.JPG

You don't have to make any excuses for an old Fischer.......oh sorry, I misunderstood.......you were bragging that your gardener rides something so classy. ;) My riding buddy, Beattbox, has one that he's owned from new and once in a while he still whips my ass riding it.

Edited by DJR

Yes, thinking of almost Roubo type bench, but I will have Record Quick-Action vice on front and Veritas Twin Screw on end, like the Samurai's bench.

Yes, rectangular dog holes.

Base has bunch of beefy mortice joints that are wedged and glued. The stretchers are bolted on. Those stretchers are 144 X 70 beams. The rest is 100 X 70.

You can get quite a lot of clamping width out of a record style by adding wide jaws like I did but that isnt always practical for all applications. That Veritas twin screw is seriously awesome.

I still think that square or rectangular dogs are the most practical but very hard to retrofit unless you design them into the build which seems to be what you did.

You don't have to make any excuses for an old Fischer.......oh sorry, I misunderstood.......you were bragging that your gardener rides something so classy. ;) My riding buddy, Beattbox, has one that he's owned from new and once in a while he still whips my ass riding it.

Still can't get over that weird stem it has on. Irritates my practical sensibilities everytime I see it.