Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So it seems as if all the i's are being dotted and the t's crossed. Last bit just fell into place for the new spot - home loan approved (prime -.35, I'm happy)

Workshop. The previous owner makes custom knives. He's moving all his machines etc to Mauritius.

attachicon.gifws1.jpg

attachicon.gifws2.jpg

Congrats!

try and get some decent insulation sorted for that roof before you move in your workshop goodies.....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hairy,

Yeah I think I must try and lay some ducting for dust extraction, a ton of power skirting as well as some copper for compressed air all over as well. Maybe put in a ceiling with a small cavity above it, for heat and noise insulation.

Guys, my dad will kill me for this...

He was retrenched earlier this year. He is a real handy guy that can make a stunning braai out of a few pieces of stainless steel.

My grandfather was a meneer at woodwork. Had all the great toys and machines needed to make a mediocre piece of wood something great that lasted. But my grandfather was a twat and left everything to his son in law that gave away all the machines after the old man passed.

So dad has the basics. A old router (that trips the power), sanders, drills and a circular saw. So he can get most things done, but I want to help him a bit.

I know he needs a planer (my uncle has one and the 25km outing does them good)

But are there things that can make life easier for him?

One thing that I loved as a kid was the DeWalt mitre saw (but that is long gone)

I know the router can be fixed. I think it is either the brushes that needs cleaning or replacement, but I think that is a Makita router, so it will outlast us all...

Wood saw is on the list (he uses a grinder as a saw) and chisels maybe later? Any books that will help him?

We are heading home this weekend to go and build a headboard for me and the SO, and to help him on his other projects, but first of all to give him a wood saw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Guys, my dad will kill me for this...

He was retrenched earlier this year. He is a real handy guy that can make a stunning braai out of a few pieces of stainless steel.

My grandfather was a meneer at woodwork. Had all the great toys and machines needed to make a mediocre piece of wood something great that lasted. But my grandfather was a twat and left everything to his son in law that gave away all the machines after the old man passed.

So dad has the basics. A old router (that trips the power), sanders, drills and a circular saw. So he can get most things done, but I want to help him a bit.

I know he needs a planer (my uncle has one and the 25km outing does them good)

But are there things that can make life easier for him?

One thing that I loved as a kid was the DeWalt mitre saw (but that is long gone)

I know the router can be fixed. I think it is either the brushes that needs cleaning or replacement, but I think that is a Makita router, so it will outlast us all...

Wood saw is on the list (he uses a grinder as a saw) and chisels maybe later? Any books that will help him?

We are heading home this weekend to go and build a headboard for me and the SO, and to help him on his other projects, but first of all to give him a wood saw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Metabo KGS 216 mitre saw. Should be ~R3500 - best investment for the small workshop.

Give me a week or so to catch my breath after the Crafters Christmas fair and I'll make him a mallet to go with his new chisels :)

Metabo KGS 216 mitre saw. Should be ~R3500 - best investment for the small workshop.

Give me a week or so to catch my breath after the Crafters Christmas fair and I'll make him a mallet to go with his new chisels :)

Thanks

The Metabo is sort of out of my reach at the moment money wise.  

Thought this will do for now, but now I am not so sure;

https://www.builders.co.za/Power-Tools/Bench-Top-Tools/Mitre-band-Saw-%26-Cut-off-Saws/Ryobi-210mm-Mitre-Saw-%28850w%29/p/000000000000515047

Thanks

The Metabo is sort of out of my reach at the moment money wise.  

Thought this will do for now, but now I am not so sure;

https://www.builders.co.za/Power-Tools/Bench-Top-Tools/Mitre-band-Saw-%26-Cut-off-Saws/Ryobi-210mm-Mitre-Saw-%28850w%29/p/000000000000515047

*Shudder*

Look, you said you liked the old man? Then don't give him **** tools. Rather give him something smaller, but in your budget. Like a nice (or even just halfway decent) set of chisels. A set of Stanley chisels will do - 6mm, 12mm,18mm and 25mm. 

So visited the folks yesterday to do a bit of wood work.

Here is what we accomplished.

Used pallet wood, stained and used a sanding sealer on the wood.

My dad wanted to do things his way, and took a lot of short cuts, but all in all I think for a first attempt at this was not to bad.

511d943143f169681b1b4a323ad1f719.jpg

Just needs a bit of electrical work and two bulbs.

My dad also started a coffee table, but did not get to far. Darkness caught us and the fumes from the stain and sealer was a bit to much in the “shed”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So visited the folks yesterday to do a bit of wood work.

Here is what we accomplished.

Used pallet wood, stained and used a sanding sealer on the wood.

My dad wanted to do things his way, and took a lot of short cuts, but all in all I think for a first attempt at this was not to bad.

511d943143f169681b1b4a323ad1f719.jpg

Just needs a bit of electrical work and two bulbs.

My dad also started a coffee table, but did not get to far. Darkness caught us and the fumes from the stain and sealer was a bit to much in the “shed”

do you take orders?

do you take orders?

Not yet. Attempting to swing my dad into the frame of mind to start his own thing and move away from the frame of mind that he has to work for a company. So working on it.

Oh and got my dad the Mitre saw. If we did not have that saw things would not have worked out

4d66e240f7d22471bca5a83c284de4b3.jpg

Edited by Cois

Not yet. Attempting to swing my dad into the frame of mind to start his own thing and move away from the frame of mind that he has to work for a company. So working on it.

Oh and got my dad the Mitre saw. If we did not have that saw things would not have worked out4d66e240f7d22471bca5a83c284de4b3.jpg

Next item on the "to buy list", safety shoes.

Next item on the "to buy list", safety shoes.

Yeah, safety wasn't on the priority list.  Never been, and doubt that it will be soon.

And it is not that it is lacking.  Just think being in safety boots every day takes a toll on my dads' feet.  

Yeah, safety wasn't on the priority list.  Never been, and doubt that it will be soon.

And it is not that it is lacking.  Just think being in safety boots every day takes a toll on my dads' feet.  

At least he is wearing safety glasses!

Is that a Ryobi mitre saw? I really like those Metabo ones that Pants linked, the sliding part gives them good reach too.

I was in PE on Thursday and Friday last week, I timed the trip with Strand hardware's expo because I knew they would be having some great deals on the day.

Thursday I picked up a midi lathe from Adendorff, its not the greatest but the price was right and it will do me for the stuff I want to do for now and is great for pen turning.

post-4822-0-11543100-1509968796_thumb.jpg

In the background there is a case which was the chuck I picked up from Strand, someone had dropped the case and it couldnt be fixed so they marked it down from R3.2k to R1k. For a chuck with 7 jaw sets and the correct 1x8 threading it was a no brainer!

I also picked up this interchangeable live centre kit, it was way cheaper than buying the two live centres and mandrel saver I was going to get.

post-4822-0-12937100-1509968932_thumb.jpg

Turned a pen yesterday afternoon and its crazy how quiet that lathe runs compared to my old Rockwell Delta which lives at my inlaws.

post-4822-0-88608500-1509968781_thumb.jpg