Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Epoxy

Pratley make a product that is brilliant

(can't find it on their site - self levelling epocy)

This one?

Pratliglo®

PRA96102 - 200ml 2 part
• Sets to a high-build, ultra-gloss finish
• Requires only one coat
• Non shrinking
• Impact high resistant product that is cigarette burn and alcohol resistant
• A self-leveling, pour-on finish for trays, table tops, plaques, clocks and figurines
Adheres to: wood, ceramics, metal, plaster, paper, styrofoam, etc

post-50518-0-52774800-1512368585_thumb.jpg

I decided I needed a scratch awl to go with the birdcage one I have so I made this guy.

post-4822-0-15099100-1512455727_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-30179300-1512455738_thumb.jpg

Still not sure what the wood used was, it was a light yellow, hard as heck and very dense. The guy at the wood shop couldnt even tell me what it was but said it was from South America.

The ferrule was an old tarnished brass one I found in the garage and the pointy bit is the shank from an old SDS drill bit. I cut the two ends off the drill bit then popped it in my drill and ran it across the grindstone with both running to shape the point.

Nice quick fun project that will actually be useful.

That's pretty, and useful. Did you epoxy the brass to the wood?

I turned it so got a nice tight fit on the brass, I used a little bit of epoxy though to make sure it wouldnt go anywhere. The shank was epoxied in and I built up a tape around the frrule so I could pool a little epoxy on to seal the endgrain around the area where the shank goes in.

Im really enjoying making arb little tools like this, useful things that arent too hard to make. 

I need to take on a mallet next, just not exactly sure about dimensions etc so might have to make one or two out of pine offcuts before I use some of the nicer wood I have reserved for it. 

I turned it so got a nice tight fit on the brass, I used a little bit of epoxy though to make sure it wouldnt go anywhere. The shank was epoxied in and I built up a tape around the frrule so I could pool a little epoxy on to seal the endgrain around the area where the shank goes in.

Im really enjoying making arb little tools like this, useful things that arent too hard to make. 

I need to take on a mallet next, just not exactly sure about dimensions etc so might have to make one or two out of pine offcuts before I use some of the nicer wood I have reserved for it. 

There you go;

FLHXQNDI0UTQNYO.MEDIUM.jpg

I decided I needed a scratch awl to go with the birdcage one I have so I made this guy.

attachicon.gifawl1.jpg

attachicon.gifawl2.jpg

Still not sure what the wood used was, it was a light yellow, hard as heck and very dense. The guy at the wood shop couldnt even tell me what it was but said it was from South America.

The ferrule was an old tarnished brass one I found in the garage and the pointy bit is the shank from an old SDS drill bit. I cut the two ends off the drill bit then popped it in my drill and ran it across the grindstone with both running to shape the point.

Nice quick fun project that will actually be useful.

"Shank" .... like the rough talking prison lingo :P

Soooo it looks like everyone finally pulled finger on our new home - registration docs was submitted this morning after endless hoops, loops and poops to jump over/in/through. 

Lawyer reckons that we should be able to move in next weekend. Guess I better start packing  :eek:

Soooo it looks like everyone finally pulled finger on our new home - registration docs was submitted this morning after endless hoops, loops and poops to jump over/in/through. 

Lawyer reckons that we should be able to move in next weekend. Guess I better start packing  :eek:

That is really cool, they need to get that stuff submitted asap because the deeds office will be closing for submissions very soon.

That is really cool, they need to get that stuff submitted asap because the deeds office will be closing for submissions very soon.

They only close the 22nd of December, and current lead time is ~6 days.

I've some ~50mm maple left over pieces that I've been planning to use to make 2 mallet (one "standard" size, and one shorter/smaller). 

Had this mind for them;

21230879_355219181557971_742679765127166

That's very very nice ... damn.