Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

cheers - thanks.  I was hoping to find somewhere local where I could pop around and pick one up.  But if I don't come right at least I now know where I can get a decent one at a reasonable price.  Cheers!

Would something like this work?

https://www.tools4wood.co.za/product/wixey-digital-protractor-electronic-angle-gauge/

https://www.tools4wood.co.za/product/gauge-groz-depth-150mm-pdg6-proctract/

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah damn, so yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Kreg R3 pocket hole jig.

Now Im not into all of the various wonder gimmicks that come out but this thing has completely blown me away.

I looked at the tork-craft version and the Wolfcraft one too but the prices were too close tot he Kreg to go for the lower quality kits.

So I made a test joint with a single screw to see how strong it is and Im dumbfounded by how strong it actually was. I honestly dont think a butt joint with 5 screws in will be as strong as that single screw was.

So I used it to attach the cross bracing on the lathe cart Im building and it was super simple to do along with very rigid. 

Only real gripe I have is that the included no2 square drive bit is very long and I couldnt get the driver in on a 300mm gap so had to resort to using a manual screwdriver for it. Will have to check if I can find a half length bit for jobs like that.

If you are on the fence about one of these then I can tell you its well worth the money. 

Ah damn, so yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Kreg R3 pocket hole jig.

Now Im not into all of the various wonder gimmicks that come out but this thing has completely blown me away.

I looked at the tork-craft version and the Wolfcraft one too but the prices were too close tot he Kreg to go for the lower quality kits.

So I made a test joint with a single screw to see how strong it is and Im dumbfounded by how strong it actually was. I honestly dont think a butt joint with 5 screws in will be as strong as that single screw was.

So I used it to attach the cross bracing on the lathe cart Im building and it was super simple to do along with very rigid.

Only real gripe I have is that the included no2 square drive bit is very long and I couldnt get the driver in on a 300mm gap so had to resort to using a manual screwdriver for it. Will have to check if I can find a half length bit for jobs like that.

If you are on the fence about one of these then I can tell you its well worth the money.

I have the Kreg Jig Jr, with the Kreg clamp, great piece of kit. Last week I used it to screw a plywood base into a pine box frame, worked really well. Only gripe I have is the price of the Kreg screws, so I use normal chipboard screws.

I have the Kreg Jig Jr, with the Kreg clamp, great piece of kit. Last week I used it to screw a plywood base into a pine box frame, worked really well. Only gripe I have is the price of the Kreg screws, so I use normal chipboard screws.

At the rate I use screws they arent too bad but Im fairly sure I will resort to normal chipboard screws if I need to use a lot at some stage. 

4dc8622d23d95fd9df58becc243f86e6.jpg

b7c05c840983e7cbbb39d72b57c639e6.jpg

Some jobs have to be done by hand, will need some sanding afterwards, but it will work.

Very clever saw guide that! really like that idea.

i hate/love making jigs: hate em cos it takes time to get it right for the job, and love cos it makes the end result almost effortless. Over and over.

Some awesome ones to add to my collection.I knew there was a reason i bought that speed square recently! :P

Pekovich's IG is awesome.

I have been building a lathe cart over the last week or so, I needed something that would keep the lathe at the correct height for me and be sturdy to try prevent it walking around while roughing uneven blanks.

The frame is pretty sturdy beams with my favourite bastardisation between a M&T and bridle joint, 16 of the suckers. 

post-4822-0-06255000-1516628919_thumb.jpg

The struts on the top are attached with pocket holes and are really just there for added rigidity and to prevent sagging on the laminated top.

post-4822-0-46767300-1516629024_thumb.jpg

Flattened out the top which was made from 40mm planks laminated together, its nice and solid.

post-4822-0-32090200-1516629077_thumb.jpg

My little girl judging me for the skew joint :(

I made 3 drawer boxes which Im going to mount on the left hand side and will make a door with a shelf inside for the right hand side.

I will be putting plywood sheeting all round to seal it up.

I have some ideas to reduce dust getting into the drawers and door so will see how those work out because lathe work generates tons of dust.

I have been building a lathe cart over the last week or so, I needed something that would keep the lathe at the correct height for me and be sturdy to try prevent it walking around while roughing uneven blanks.

The frame is pretty sturdy beams with my favourite bastardisation between a M&T and bridle joint, 16 of the suckers. 

attachicon.gifframe.jpg

The struts on the top are attached with pocket holes and are really just there for added rigidity and to prevent sagging on the laminated top.

attachicon.giflathe top.jpg

Flattened out the top which was made from 40mm planks laminated together, its nice and solid.

attachicon.gifjoint.jpg

My little girl judging me for the skew joint :(

I made 3 drawer boxes which Im going to mount on the left hand side and will make a door with a shelf inside for the right hand side.

I will be putting plywood sheeting all round to seal it up.

I have some ideas to reduce dust getting into the drawers and door so will see how those work out because lathe work generates tons of dust.

Thats awesome!!

I wanna make a heavy duty workbench similar to this once I have enough time.

No, I don't use pipe clamps myself. I'm rather fond of my heavy-as-a-dead-donkey cheap-as-chips bar clamps from Adendorff's. Some shops might do cutting and threading for you on plumbing pipe, but the beauty/simplicity of pipe clamps are supposed to be the ability to use standard lengths off the shelf.

Farm irrigation supply companies can help you.