Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My planned cycling specific wood working project (which I mentioned a while ago) was placed on the back burner for a while since the missus wanted some traction on some of the projects for the house, specifically our bedroom...

We love sleeping in a very dark room, but our bedroom has east and north facing windows. Our neighbor on the northern side believes that his yard must be lit up as if the sun is shining brightly - straight into out room...  And especially December holidays when we want to sleep a bit later, the sun light up the room at 05:00.  So we hanged proper block-outs which works well, but the light still reflects off the back of the block-out onto the white ceiling and still lights up the room way too much.

So I constructed some box pelmets to block that irritating reflective light...

I installed a basic pine frame to cover the top, and then a meranti cover on the front.  The meranti cover consist of a wide skirting that I bought at Chamberlains and a 20 x 20 mm square length that I profiled on the router table.  I then glued the profile to the top (bottom?) of the skirting with 50 mm PVC drain pipe clamps.

I asked out local Home of Paint Centurion to colour match a stain for me (to match our bedroom set) and finished of with a two part varnish.

It was also the first time that I used my Earlex HVLP spray gun (in fact, the first time I used any spray gun...).  With a bit of a learning curve it came out quite well...

The profile being clamped to the skirting:

post-50518-0-85087400-1552457055_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-67508700-1552457071_thumb.jpg

Completed pelmet before staining: (The pine frame is in the background)

post-50518-0-02985000-1552457105_thumb.jpg

Final installation:

post-50518-0-21289400-1552457137_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-99751400-1552457153_thumb.jpg

Now we can sleep in complete darkness - I could not even see my hand in front of my face last night...   :clap:

And of course my wife now wants it in all the bedrooms...  I told her I need a new sander and mitre saw to do the job quicker / easier next time...

Edited by carrera4s

My planned cycling specific wood working project (which I mentioned a while ago) was placed on the back burner for a while since the missus wanted some traction on some of the projects for the house, specifically our bedroom...

We love sleeping in a very dark room, but our bedroom has east and north facing windows. Our neighbor on the northern side believes that his yard must be lit up as if the sun is shining brightly - straight into out room...  And especially December holidays when we want to sleep a bit later, the sun light up the room at 05:00.  So we hanged proper block-outs which works well, but the light still reflects off the back of the block-out onto the white ceiling and still lights up the room way too much.

So I constructed some box pelmets to block that irritating reflective light...

I installed a basic pine frame to cover the top, and then a meranti cover on the front.  The meranti cover consist of a wide skirting that I bought at Chamberlains and a 20 x 20 mm square length that I profiled on the router table.  I then glued the profile to the top (bottom?) of the skirting with 50 mm PVC drain pipe clamps.

I asked out local Home of Paint Centurion to colour match a stain for me (to match our bedroom set) and finished of with a two part varnish.

It was also the first time that I used my Earlex HVLP spray gun (in fact, the first time I used any spray gun...).  With a bit of a learning curve it came out quite well...

The profile being clamped to the skirting:

attachicon.gifPelmet 1.jpg

attachicon.gifPelmet 8.jpg

Completed pelmet before staining: (The pine frame is in the background)

attachicon.gifPelmet 7.jpg

Final installation:

attachicon.gifPelmet 4.jpg

attachicon.gifPelmet 6.jpg

Now we can sleep in complete darkness - I could not even see my hand in front of my face last night...   :clap:

And of course my wife now wants it in all the bedrooms...  I told her I need a new sander and mitre saw to do the job quicker / easier next time...

I love those clamps, such a smart idea.

Even smarter idea on the sander and mitre saw though!! wives are a lot happier to let you buy tools when its for a project they want  :ph34r:

I dont normally like pelmets but those look fantastic.

Really impressive stuff that! I must make sure my better half doesn't see that as I definitely don't have your mad skills.

Thanks!  If you were a bit closer I could make you a set or 2 while I am busy...

Edited by carrera4s

How did you attache them to the wall Carrera??

The 3rd picture shows the pine frame in the background:  You can see 2 blocks screwed to the bottom of the pine "shelf" / frame with a 6 mm hole in the middle:  Fisher plugs through theses holes into the wall.

The cover is then fixed to the pine frame with angle brackets & screws on the inside / underside.

PS:  I had to remove the curtain rails to fix the pine frame to the wall.  

Edited by carrera4s

A heads up...Triton not a good choice at this point in time...i managed to contact vermont sales with regards to getting more sanding sleeves...it seems i am stuck with a sander which nobody offers spares or replacement sleeves....it is a non standard size...so nobody stocks a replacement...look like i am stuck with 2 sided carpet tape and thinners...to remove (it removes the sticky stuff pretty quick) 

could explain why they are unloading these...

https://www.onedayonly.co.za/450w-oscillating-spindle-sander-3.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8wCIqCq9WwpICW3KPH2RqeTRUGa9J8Pw8QO1-CjA28ocvIXzyB1hx4aAgRBEALw_wcB

A heads up...Triton not a good choice at this point in time...i managed to contact vermont sales with regards to getting more sanding sleeves...it seems i am stuck with a sander which nobody offers spares or replacement sleeves....it is a non standard size...so nobody stocks a replacement...look like i am stuck with 2 sided carpet tape and thinners...to remove (it removes the sticky stuff pretty quick)

could explain why they are unloading these...

https://www.onedayonly.co.za/450w-oscillating-spindle-sander-3.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8wCIqCq9WwpICW3KPH2RqeTRUGa9J8Pw8QO1-CjA28ocvIXzyB1hx4aAgRBEALw_wcB

Check out Toolcraft, they are selling the sleeves on huge discount currently.

Looking for a used reciprocal saw to replace my Bosch PFZ 550 ( piston in gearbox snapped - crappy design ) Total use was less than 30 minutes. I don't know if it is wishful thinking , but looking to spend +- R 500. ln Jhb area. For hobbyist purposes. ( Also definitely NOT Ryobi)

Edited by Tromp

I have a quick question. I bought a desk today and my plan is to install a wall socket (one with a normal plug, the two-prong type as well as some USB charging points) into the top of the desk so that it sits almost flush with the desk. My question now is how much will cutting a hole near one of the edges compromise on strength? It is just 16mm melamine particle board.

How far from the edge do I need to cut to ensure that it won't break there?

I have a quick question. I bought a desk today and my plan is to install a wall socket (one with a normal plug, the two-prong type as well as some USB charging points) into the top of the desk so that it sits almost flush with the desk. My question now is how much will cutting a hole near one of the edges compromise on strength? It is just 16mm melamine particle board.

How far from the edge do I need to cut to ensure that it won't break there?

Photo pls!

The socket I will be using:

post-84485-0-91487700-1553201940_thumb.jpg

The top of the desk, it is about 600mm across and only supported on the front and back side.

post-84485-0-39962200-1553201979_thumb.jpg

The underside of the desk showing the support.

post-84485-0-26744200-1553201987_thumb.jpg

The planned location of the socket. I wanted to place it at the back close to the support, but the desk can be used either way around.

post-84485-0-17758500-1553201998_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif20190321_225153.jpg

The top of the desk, it is about 600mm across and only supported on the front and back side.

attachicon.gif20190321_224851.jpg

attachicon.gif20190321_224900.jpg

The planned location of the socket. I wanted to place it at the back close to the support, but the desk can be used either way around.

attachicon.gif20190321_225005.jpg

in my view, you can locate it almost anywhere you want with no major reduction in strength because of the shear strength provided by the outter melamine layers. It makes those crappy particle/chip boards quite strong.

But don't put it too close to the supports, perhaps more along the side that is unsupported. That area is lightly loaded to begin with.

attachicon.gif20190321_225153.jpg

attachicon.gif20190321_224851.jpg

attachicon.gif20190321_224900.jpg

attachicon.gif20190321_225005.jpg

I would say your best bet it to offset it a few cm from either edge, its deeper than your desk top thickness so you will most likely have to jigsaw a hole in it then either route in the recess or leave it slightly proud. What about the connections at the back though where the mains connects to the plug? those look quite exposed, not sure how good of an idea that is...