Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say your best bet it to offset it a few cm from either edge, its deeper than your desk top thickness so you will most likely have to jigsaw a hole in it then either route in the recess or leave it slightly proud. What about the connections at the back though where the mains connects to the plug? those look quite exposed, not sure how good of an idea that is...

Yes it is a normal wall socket, but I bought one of those electrical pvc boxes to cover up the underside.

I would say 100mm from the edges, but maybe reinforce it as well.

I was thinking around 100mm from the side as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not a woodworker, but always on here seeing other folks' work :) Has anyone here made an adjustable desk stand for IDT.

I was thinking something like those standing desks or Stokke Tripp Trapp Baby Chair (with the desk on the other side) or a combo of the two.

Any thoughts on how difficult this might be? What material to use/avoid?

DS_JUMBO2_V12_0000_large.png?v=155125589

71Hg5VNYNML._SY550_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly use power tools combined with my "not-so-sturdy" mobile work bench.  However, I do plan to build a proper workbench at some stage and have therefore bought a Record vice a while ago on Gumtree.  However, the vice has been lying on the floor for > 2 years.  Last week I had the idea to build it into a mini work bench that I can put on top of my mobile bench. A few pieces of off-cut wood later and its done.  It simply clamps onto my mobile bench.

It still needs a coat of BLO, a few bench dogs and some cork in the vice jaws.  And it needs a proper cleaning as well...

The last pic shows it as WIP before the top and front jaw were added.

post-50518-0-93819600-1554099417_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-23397600-1554099476_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-15203300-1554099554_thumb.jpg

Not a woodworker, but always on here seeing other folks' work :) Has anyone here made an adjustable desk stand for IDT.

I was thinking something like those standing desks or Stokke Tripp Trapp Baby Chair (with the desk on the other side) or a combo of the two.

Any thoughts on how difficult this might be? What material to use/avoid?

DS_JUMBO2_V12_0000_large.png?v=155125589

71Hg5VNYNML._SY550_.jpg

When Im eventually done building my house Im going to look at their electronic height adjustable frame and will make a top for it. I work from home so I think a standing desk would help a lot with the amount of sitting that I do. Im not so sure how useful the smaller ones you put on top of an existing desk are though...

I mostly use power tools combined with my "not-so-sturdy" mobile work bench.  However, I do plan to build a proper workbench at some stage and have therefore bought a Record vice a while ago on Gumtree.  However, the vice has been lying on the floor for > 2 years.  Last week I had the idea to build it into a mini work bench that I can put on top of my mobile bench. A few pieces of off-cut wood later and its done.  It simply clamps onto my mobile bench.

It still needs a coat of BLO, a few bench dogs and some cork in the vice jaws.  And it needs a proper cleaning as well...

The last pic shows it as WIP before the top and front jaw were added.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190331_202326.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190331_202406.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_170005.jpg

It looks really great, the dog holes are really useful and you always need that place to clamp something in quickly. I would love to build another workbench, mine is great and Im very happy with it, I just enjoyed building it so much I wouldnt mind doing another one!

• 2 weeks later...

I also found the Gelmar one, but the mounting bracket is more important than the actual leg. Thanks though!

Amazon is probably your easiest option;

https://www.amazon.com/d/Furniture-Legs/Mounting-Furniture-Attachment-Industrial-Strength/B071DJQFY5

$<20 all incl. I wouldn't even bother driving around looking for a shop that might stock it.

What I was worried about, but I guess it's the simplest way to get it, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My drill press table was in serious need of an upgrade, so I finished it this weekend.

The replaceable disk ensures I don't damage the top.  It also have a hole through the top that I can use it as a drum sander with a vacuum attached at the back / bottom.

I did not want to store the clamps in the drawer so I added the off-cut T-track as storage positions either side of the drawer.

And the fence must be the best part:  To be able to quickly adjust it - o my, it works like a dream.   :clap:

And the chuck wrench is nice and close by hanging on a magnet. 

post-50518-0-60034000-1556002833_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-46875100-1556002850_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-39095300-1556002862_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-58255100-1556002883_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-98881100-1556002903_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-72992700-1556002915_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-21346200-1556003116_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

My drill press table was in serious need of an upgrade, so I finished it this weekend.

The replaceable disk ensures I don't damage the top.  It also have a hole through the top that I can use it as a drum sander with a vacuum attached at the back / bottom.

I did not want to store the clamps in the drawer so I added the off-cut T-track as storage positions either side of the drawer.

And the fence must be the best part:  To be able to quickly adjust it - o my, it works like a dream.   :clap:

And the chuck wrench is nice and close by hanging on a magnet. 

attachicon.gifSB3.jpg

attachicon.gifSB7.jpg

attachicon.gifSB6.jpg

attachicon.gifSB5.jpg

attachicon.gifSB4.jpg

attachicon.gifSB2.jpg

attachicon.gifSB1.jpg

Man that is so typical of you, take something as simple as a drill press table and turn it into a work of art!!  :clap:

Having a neodium magnet on the side for holding the chuck key works a charm, I have a countersink and the key on the same magnet for quick access.

random question, how are you guys handling smaller circle cutting with a router?

The fence on mine has a pin for circles but it doesnt make ones that are small enough for what Im needing.