Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Ok. I will print and read slowly.Makes more cents asper well .

That is almost like reading the quarterly financial notice Old mutual sends out!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that dont' follow the Perrkins Builder Brothers on social media, one of them had a shop accident. Very uneasy listening to this. But it's a cautionary tale, so take heed and be careful in your shop around your power tools when wearing ear protection.

Edited by Capricorn

Lockdown project complete, a step chair thing for the workshop. Had to dig out every piece of scrap wood to make this work. Will probably just use whatever leftover sealer/finish I’ve left, most likely danish oil for easiness.

fd4a055fd551dcd6a4794cd6a543375d.jpg

35461f1fa0910c004c4b59cb42e89a44.jpg

b7d713d7fc5ce325734dd2907623be78.jpg

d0ed7cc303cfcb7c6332f468265341e2.jpg

81c0939a642ac60019486656f81c87ef.jpg

Excellent! I helped my father make one like that, except it converted to a dining chair.  

For those that dont' follow the Perrkins Builder Brothers on social media, one of them had a shop accident. Very uneasy listening to this. But it's a cautionary tale, so take heed and be careful in your shop around your power tools when wearing ear protection.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Very intense and good wake up call with many of us fiddling with power tools. Watching lots of YouTube etc I saw the one blogger's accident (The Nobby Wodworker or some such?) with a chainsaw blade on a grinder (scary) and was very impressed with SawStop idea - amazing.

Be safe in there.

Very intense and good wake up call with many of us fiddling with power tools. Watching lots of YouTube etc I saw the one blogger's accident (The Nobby Wodworker or some such?) with a chainsaw blade on a grinder (scary) and was very impressed with SawStop idea - amazing.

Be safe in there.

The aptly named stumpy nubs was the dude with the chainsaw wheel on an angle grinder.

Saw a post on the GMBN facebook page of a guy in the UK who didn't want to risk going to cycle only to fall, injure himself and have to go to the hospital.

So decided to do some woodwork and managed to cut off his left hands thumb and index finger!!!!

I have taken some leave last week and worked a bit on a new workbench that I am building.   It will be a split top Roubo.

I have laminated, sized and squared all the legs and stretchers and completed all the mortices.  I have started on the tenons as well.  The first one came out pretty well (last time I did a mortice and tenon joit was >20 years ago at school - and then we had a slot morticer and tenoning machine).  Now to finish the other tenons and then I can hopefully assemble the base.

Hand planing the legs - nothing as satisfying as a sharp plane going  grrrrrttttsss through the wood!

post-50518-0-46459200-1588587617_thumb.jpg

Cabinet scraper to finish the surface after the plane - look at those fine shavings!  Nice!

post-50518-0-54774500-1588587714_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-48564200-1588587724_thumb.jpg

Mortices were done with an up-cut spiral bit to 60 mm deep, then by hand to c 90 mm deep.

post-50518-0-22080800-1588587790_thumb.jpg

Tenons are being rough sized on the table saw, then the router table and fine tuned by hand.

post-50518-0-94899200-1588587835_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-41650000-1588587850_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-02379300-1588587907_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-58595500-1588587860_thumb.jpg

Router Table is done with some metal work however.

It has lockable adjustable wheels and on off switch via normal plug as ill have to override the hand held function.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MaizvfzzApNXeS7L6

Enjoy guys im happy with it and now I can start the real woodwork project.

Nicely done Amberdrake!

Maybe consider installing a No Volt Release switch for safety reasons.  See if you can install it such that you can switch it off with your leg / knee should it be necessary.

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/products/kjd18-switch?variant=213342388248

PS:  How will you do the height adjustment?  Check if your router have a lug then you can use a threaded rod to make height adjustment from above the table.

I have taken some leave last week and worked a bit on a new workbench that I am building.   It will be a split top Roubo.

I have laminated, sized and squared all the legs and stretchers and completed all the mortices.  I have started on the tenons as well.  The first one came out pretty well (last time I did a mortice and tenon joit was >20 years ago at school - and then we had a slot morticer and tenoning machine).  Now to finish the other tenons and then I can hopefully assemble the base.

Hand planing the legs - nothing as satisfying as a sharp plane going  grrrrrttttsss through the wood!

attachicon.gifWB 1.jpg

Cabinet scraper to finish the surface after the plane - look at those fine shavings!  Nice!

attachicon.gifWB 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 3.jpg

Mortices were done with an up-cut spiral bit to 60 mm deep, then by hand to c 90 mm deep.

attachicon.gifWB 4.jpg

Tenons are being rough sized on the table saw, then the router table and fine tuned by hand.

attachicon.gifWb 5.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 6.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 7.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 8.jpg

Good job. I'm not fond on tenon/mortises.

What wood is that, looks like meranti or some eucalyptus?

Also, how are you doing the leg vise? Pin board or criss cross mechanism?