Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangest thing EVER iS when you come across the process of moving house. Like literally, pick it up, out it on a truck and move it!

In the south of Auckland there are yards full of old houses that you can buy and have moved to your stand.

Yeah, I remember when I was house hunting. I scoured TradeMe for months. Every now and again I'd come across a bargain weatherboard house with character, in a decent area. The catch...

It was JUST the house and cost of relocation within a 50km radius.

There was a Grand Designs NZ episode where the owners relocated a beautiful earthquake damaged villa from Christchurch to the Gibbston Valley.

Imagine driving a house that size for 450km on South Island mountainous roads. Yikes!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/houses/97720318/grand-designs-nz-rescued-villa-pops-up-in-central-otago-landscape

I drove past this house a month or so ago. It's VERY different from the typical dark cedar, modern looking South Island homes, and really sticks out. But the location is amazing and the landscape rivals the beauty of the workmanship.

Fellows

Are those Kreg pockethole joinery jigs any good? It looks a bit plasticy.

I have the little one that you clamp on, I expected it to be a bit of a toy when I bought it.

The amount of strength those screwed joints have vs say a butt join is insane! 

I really use that jig a lot, its perfect for making boxes and for so many other random tasks.

The new Single Dad Small Spaces Sleeping Solution. Built it to hold me on the top bunk, this is the prototype and I plan to build some for ppl who want a more modern and stronger bunk that doesn't break the bank.

Second pic. Not woodwork, but another project. Copper and LED. 3280434f1e66ac3a39f6257cddec1e3b.jpg93b981a38745987b6cf437449b7c2b15.jpg

Wow great job bud, that looks really neat.

Such a great use of space.

Its been a really long time since I posted a project on here, I have been getting some small things done but nothing worth showing.

Im mostly sharing in the joy of the bench Carrera4s is making, cant wait to see that one finished!

At home we had a gap to fill to separate the garden off as a safe place to keep my dogs from being able to get to the gate. We have staffies and I dont want my babies getting stolen.

So after two quotes it was pretty obvious that the walling companies dont like small jobs and so the pricing was insane. I decided to instead find a local welding works and get them to build a steel frame so that I could attach some garapa decking to it and make my own fence.

There was a gap near the stairs that really bothered me so i ended up making a planter box to fill the gap and I think it came out quite nicely.

The top few boards are a different colour on the fence because I miscalculated quite badly! they will all mellow into the same colour quite soon though, the lower ones have darkened substantially over the last few weeks.

After a whole lots of pain I figured out a process that didnt keep turning the heads and threads off the stainless "self-tapping" screws I had.

Process was:

Clamp and align board using spacers and pulling any twist out.

Drill 3.5mm holes through wood and steel.

Tap with 4mm tap

Drill wood out to 5mm without drilling steel behind it.

Screw into new threads and hope the screw doesnt break!

It took a long time and was very frustrating but this was the result.

post-4822-0-44346100-1596527760_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-27493900-1596527780_thumb.jpg

Its been a really long time since I posted a project on here, I have been getting some small things done but nothing worth showing.

Im mostly sharing in the joy of the bench Carrera4s is making, cant wait to see that one finished!

At home we had a gap to fill to separate the garden off as a safe place to keep my dogs from being able to get to the gate. We have staffies and I dont want my babies getting stolen.

So after two quotes it was pretty obvious that the walling companies dont like small jobs and so the pricing was insane. I decided to instead find a local welding works and get them to build a steel frame so that I could attach some garapa decking to it and make my own fence.

There was a gap near the stairs that really bothered me so i ended up making a planter box to fill the gap and I think it came out quite nicely.

The top few boards are a different colour on the fence because I miscalculated quite badly! they will all mellow into the same colour quite soon though, the lower ones have darkened substantially over the last few weeks.

After a whole lots of pain I figured out a process that didnt keep turning the heads and threads off the stainless "self-tapping" screws I had.

Process was:

Tap with 4mm tap

attachicon.gifplanter.jpg

attachicon.gifwall.jpg

I am thinking of building gates with the same idea. My dogs gets way too excited when people walking their dogs passes my home. Maybe preventing them from seeing what is going on in the street would help. But then also they won't see dodgy bastards approaching my home.

Edited by Moridin

Process was:

Tap with 4mm tap

attachicon.gifplanter.jpg

attachicon.gifwall.jpg

Looks good ... any reason why you did not also do the sub-frame in timber too?

I am thinking of building gates with the same idea. My dogs gets way too excited when people walking their dogs passes my home. Maybe preventing them from seeing what is going on in the street would help. But then also they won't see dodgy bastards approaching my home.

I have two opening gates on the other side that still need their cladding added, Im just a little concerned about weight as they are hinged.

Im not sure how accurate it is but the accepted belief is that being able to see in is more of a deterrent than a concealed area that someone can get to and be hidden from the street. 

Looks good ... any reason why you did not also do the sub-frame in timber too?

I was originally planning on making it timber but the cost was going to be too high for good hard wood. 

A softwood frame would need to be replaced at some stage and I quite like the contrast between the galvanized steel and wood. 

I have two opening gates on the other side that still need their cladding added, Im just a little concerned about weight as they are hinged.

Im not sure how accurate it is but the accepted belief is that being able to see in is more of a deterrent than a concealed area that someone can get to and be hidden from the street. 

The eyes on the street principle is real ... it has been shown to be a safer solution vs a solid wall.

With a solid wall the person/s just has to get over it, and then they are protect from site from the street.