Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I know this was asked previously, but it doesn't seem like a sufficient answer was ever found.

I'm in the market for a table saw, but the feeling I'm getting is that any Ryobi "low end" stuff is not worth the time, and then there's a huge void of nothing, and then really expensive machines.

Does anything exist around the R5K mark at all? I'm not in a hurry so I'm constantly checking Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace, but I've not seen anything at all.

Have you looked second hand. I bought a second hand one a few years ago (ok 10 years ago) for R2k. The thing is as solid as a brick shthouse. I wouldn't touch a Ryobi table saw.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the same quandery. I am unwilling to toss good cash at bad tools such as the entry level Ryobi "saws". A good DeWalt is around 20k and a bad Ryobi is around 3.5k

For this reason I am considering building my own home tablesaw using a good circular saw as a base and then slowly save up to replace it with a much better tool if the need ever arises. My thinking in this regard is to see if the bug is truly biting or if I am just acting on a whim at present.

I am considering something in the lines of the what John Heisz has on his website which you can access here:

https://ibuildit.ca/projects/making-a-table-saw/

attachicon.gifhomemade-table-saw-50.jpg

I watched the series where John made that saw, it looks very capable and above everything else has a good fence.

Cheap saws all have horrible fences.

Yeah, I'm also thinking of that, when I get power to my garage (or my new place, whenever that is) to hold my Makita 5903R. I have a small Bosch 165mm circular that gets taken everywhere cos it's just so much easier to use, on the go.

I have the same Makita but an older model. I also considered doing the same thing with it.

I bought my no name brand tablesaw for R700 and its done a ton of good work, its just not super accurate. 

I would love to replace it with something a little more sturdy.

So bearing in mind that I know the SA market is different from here in NZ, and I'm also not sure what type of table saw you're looking for (jobsite, cabinet, hybrid, etc), my input may not be very helpful, but here are some of the things I looked at when deciding which saw to save for (yes, I have yet to buy).

</snip>

So yeah, hopefully there are some helpful insights from my decision considerations that may help you find a saw that suits your needs. Let us know what you settle on!

Excellent post, thank you!

Have you looked second hand. I bought a second hand one a few years ago (ok 10 years ago) for R2k. The thing is as solid as a brick shthouse. I wouldn't touch a Ryobi table saw.

I have been scouring the classifieds, but I am limited to GP unfortunately.

I watched the series where John made that saw, it looks very capable and above everything else has a good fence.

Cheap saws all have horrible fences.

I am so excited to build this as a project on its own, but I am waiting to see if I sell my house before I start so that I can design my new "workspace" as efficient as I can.

John makes some really impressive things, and I have already managed a Sketchup plan based on that design. For a second project I intend to build a set of roller-drawers for my bakkie with space for a portable fridge and battery pack as well as space for my mtb. 

@ Pure Savage, Have a look at the pine shop next to spar rosmead avenue. Very good prices. Might be cheaper to buy vs make it up.

Edited by Let's Ride

Might need to put scratching this itch on hold for a while - it's not like I've even got the space for a table saw at the moment...

In my previous and overly lengthy post, I forgot to mention that one could find an interim solution by thinking out of he box.

The versatile track (or plunge) saw. Not sure how popular they are in SA, but here in NZ they're considered essential by most carpenters. In fact I've seen a number of carpentry and woodwork "celebrities" (Ron Paulk, Peter Millard etc) on YouTube that hardly bother with a table saw and mostly use their trusty track saws in stead.

Just as accurate as a table saw when used correctly. Great for large sheet goods. It's main drawback is repetitive cuts aren't as "automatic", but when using spacing jigs/blocks precise repetition can be achieved with relative ease.

0001122_pakke-makita-sp6000j-senksag-og-

The Makita SP6000J is the industry workhorse in this category. It's pretty pricey new, but there may be 2nd hands one out there.

Alternatively, there are options form other brands like Bosch, Dewalt, Triton, Festool & Mafell (Festool and Mafell being the Bentley and Rolls Royce options though, so kidney sales required). Triton would likely be the most affordable option new.

If you haven't ever tried one before, don't be fooled into thinking they're "just an overpriced circular saw". Some key differences are:

• Minimized tear-out due to track
  • Ability to plunge into workpiece
  • Ability to preset plunge depth
  • Edge of track (splinter guard) is EXACLTY where the blade will cut (so more accurate).
  • Dead straight cuts every time.
  • Tracks available in up to 3m lengths
  • Variable speed (for different material types)
  • More accurate beveling
  • Undercut (-1deg) bevel
  • Scoring function.

This vid may give some insight into the pro's and cons of all the options.

And here's some insight into track saws

Anyway, just thinking out of the box, based on your space constraint.

I don't really have the space for a table saw in the garage so I just use a circular saw for all of my large cutting work. It used to be a pain to set up each cut and even then I would be off by a mm or so.

I ended up making a track similar to how a track saw works, now I just use two spring clamps to hold the track in place and I line the side of the track up with my marks. I now get perfect cuts each time.

When I made the base plate that fit onto the saw I drilled and tapped the holes so that it is positioned perfectly each time I need to take it off.

In my previous and overly lengthy post, I forgot to mention that one could find an interim solution by thinking out of he box.

The versatile track (or plunge) saw. Not sure how popular they are in SA, but here in NZ they're considered essential by most carpenters. In fact I've seen a number of carpentry and woodwork "celebrities" (Ron Paulk, Peter Millard etc) on YouTube that hardly bother with a table saw and mostly use their trusty track saws in stead.

Just as accurate as a table saw when used correctly. Great for large sheet goods. It's main drawback is repetitive cuts aren't as "automatic", but when using spacing jigs/blocks precise repetition can be achieved with relative ease.

0001122_pakke-makita-sp6000j-senksag-og-

The Makita SP6000J is the industry workhorse in this category. It's pretty pricey new, but there may be 2nd hands one out there.

Alternatively, there are options form other brands like Bosch, Dewalt, Triton, Festool & Mafell (Festool and Mafell being the Bentley and Rolls Royce options though, so kidney sales required). Triton would likely be the most affordable option new.

If you haven't ever tried one before, don't be fooled into thinking they're "just an overpriced circular saw". Some key differences are:

• Minimized tear-out due to track
  • Ability to plunge into workpiece
  • Ability to preset plunge depth
  • Edge of track (splinter guard) is EXACLTY where the blade will cut (so more accurate).
  • Dead straight cuts every time.
  • Tracks available in up to 3m lengths
  • Variable speed (for different material types)
  • More accurate beveling
  • Undercut (-1deg) bevel
  • Scoring function.

This vid may give some insight into the pro's and cons of all the options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfyWDp9uRes&t=576s&ab_channel=ChrisSalomone

And here's some insight into track saws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQjGwZT3Ak

Anyway, just thinking out of the box, based on your space constraint.

A track saw is very versatile indeed, and I would even go as far as to say that before you build you own table saw, get a track saw and build an mft-style table. You’re limited ito depth of cut, but if you’re doing more sheet goods, then it shouldn’t be a problem. You’re only limited by your own imagination with such a setup.

A cabinet type table saw is rather cumbersome working with sheet goods, rip capacity is usually less than 1m and cross cut less than 600 mm, but for everything else, it’s still the best, bar sliding panel saws.

I actually do have a Kreg Accu-Cut XL track setup (which I've only briefly used thus far), but I absolutely need a better quality circular saw. The repetition of the table saw is what's drawing me to it, but for the moment, practice with the track saw will have to do until more space and/or money is found!

So the Festool agent lives around the corner from us and when cycling past his house yesterday I approached him, introduced myself and asked him if he watched Scott Brown Carpentry ... to which he replied yes and we had a good chat :) ... nice guy with nice tools.

I actually do have a Kreg Accu-Cut XL track setup (which I've only briefly used thus far), but I absolutely need a better quality circular saw. The repetition of the table saw is what's drawing me to it, but for the moment, practice with the track saw will have to do until more space and/or money is found!

A table saw with multiple jigs is an absolute pleasure. yes, the track saw is great for breaking up sheet goods, but the table saw has so many applications.

Look at Makita table saws, I've been working with one for the past 6 years after throwing a Ryobi out. Yes, you need a new fence immediately and the blade insert must be replaced, that being said once you've done that it's yours and to your liking.

So the Festool agent lives around the corner from us and when cycling past his house yesterday I approached him, introduced myself and asked him if he watched Scott Brown Carpentry ... to which he replied yes and we had a good chat :) ... nice guy with nice tools.

Hahaha, so he must have seen Cameron's van setup. It's like a mobile Festool showroom :lol:

Edited by patches

A table saw with multiple jigs is an absolute pleasure. yes, the track saw is great for breaking up sheet goods, but the table saw has so many applications.

Look at Makita table saws, I've been working with one for the past 6 years after throwing a Ryobi out. Yes, you need a new fence immediately and the blade insert must be replaced, that being said once you've done that it's yours and to your liking.

Did you modify the fence on your Makita (I've seen some great looking DIY dual clamp mods), or did you find a good aftermarket one?