Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

11 hours ago, Capricorn said:

agree with stefmeister.

I too had a bearing come loose, and it royally fudged up my work. But i realized the fault was mine, in that i failed to check for free running of the bearing first. The screw clamps down on the inner race of the bearing with the outer race intended to run freely. If the bearing is not maintained, crud build, rust etc up can cause increased friction between the bearing balls and the races.

So depending on which way you run the router, i think the increased internal friction could act to unwind that screw over time, not to mention vibrations from dull bits causing the same.
Threadlocker should prevent the loosening due to vibration, but that's part of maintenance of the bit and its bearings, to ensure the presence and condition of the threadlocker.

Agreed. But you would not expect it too happen on a bit you have run for a few minutes from new out of the box. As I said, bought it Monday. Bought some better thread locker today and tightened the bearing down. BTW, have you people seen the latest pricing for Locktite branded thread locker? Absolutely crazy.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, dev null said:

Agreed. But you would not expect it too happen on a bit you have run for a few minutes from new out of the box. As I said, bought it Monday. Bought some better thread locker today and tightened the bearing down. BTW, have you people seen the latest pricing for Locktite branded thread locker? Absolutely crazy.

Its been crazy for a while now, I had to buy another brand last time I bought because I wasnt paying that amount for thread locker.

P.S apologies for piping the output of all of those scripts to you over the years, its awesome to finally meet the great /dev/null :D

On 6/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, dev null said:

funnily enough, new out of the box is likely where one might encounter issues in spite of our warmest optimisms :P
but i hear you. that said, their bits, which is their actual product, is pretty good. I just wish they offered a range of spiral bits, up, down and compression cuts. Have some on order from the USA. timing the exchange rates :P

1 hour ago, Capricorn said:

funnily enough, new out of the box is likely where one might encounter issues in spite of our warmest optimisms :P
but i hear you. that said, their bits, which is their actual product, is pretty good. I just wish they offered a range of spiral bits, up, down and compression cuts. Have some on order from the USA. timing the exchange rates :P

Lesson learnt. School fees paid. Funny enough my son said I should not redo the piece. He would be fine with the rack as it is with the mark . I told him it would bother me and he said he is the customer.

Now waiting for me new RO 150 FEQ Plus. Finally had it with my 22 year old Black & Decker strykyster. Always struggle to get paper for it and it throws dust everywhere. With my asthma I decided the investment would be worth the while to get a sander with proper dust collection.

Edited by dev null

5 minutes ago, dev null said:

Lesson learnt. School fees paid. Funny enough my son said I should not redo the piece. He would be fine with the rack as it is with the mark . I told him it would bother me and he said he is the customer.

Now waiting for me new RO 150 FEQ Plus. Finally had it with my old 22 year old Black & Decker strykyster. Always struggle to get paper for it and it throws dust everywhere. With my asthma I decided the investment would be worth the while to get a sander with proper dust collection.

your son is the perfect customer. and the fact that he allows a 'defect' to instead be an opportunity to tell a story, makes that piece valuable. 
my advice: the customer is always right (in this case :P )

Thanks for inadvertently reminding me to get my dust collection sh33t together. ????

7 minutes ago, dev null said:

I figured I need a laminate trimmer.

Question is should I get a cordless one, or corded one?

If you going to be using it often: CORDLESS!
the convenience of use will offset the cost of chargers and batteries, especially if your choice in cordless trimmer takes you outside your current brand of cordless.

funnily enuogh, once you have that convenience, you'll end up using it more, making my initial proviso moot :D

28 minutes ago, Capricorn said:

the convenience of use will offset the cost of chargers and batteries, especially if your choice in cordless trimmer takes you outside your current brand of cordless.

funnily enuogh, once you have that convenience, you'll end up using it more, making my initial proviso moot :D

Thank you. I already have the Makita cordless system with the Impact Driver and the Drill. With the Charger and 2 batteries.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, dev null said:

Just a heads up. Stay away from Pro-Tech router bits.

I just ruined a bookcase I was building because the trimmer bit malfunctioned. Half a sheet worth of 21mm Birch ply stuffed up.

The screw that holds the bearing came loose while I was trimming an edge causing the bit to take away more material than it should have.

Never in my life will I touch that crap again. Problem is that we don't have much options here in ZA. And I just bought it on Monday. So it was brand new. Most probably they used the cheapest thread lock in existence.

I found Pro-tech quite decent for home use.

But Dimar definitely better:

https://powertoolrepairs.co.za/63-dimar

Also have a look at Scanda, I bought a "dish carving" bit from them recently - gives me very good results!

https://scanda.co.za/product-category/router-bits/profile-router-bits/bowl-tray/

I used the Scanda one to make these recesses in some braaiplanks I made recently. (Rubberwood with Kiaat strip, and Poplar)

And a few pics of some cutting boards as well.  (Maple and Rosewood - man, I love Rosewood!)

PS:  I used Tork Craft bits for the juice grooves!!!  Now that is crap!!!

Rubberwood Braaiplank 1.jpg

Rubberwood Braaiplank 2.jpg

Hennie Braaiplank  2.jpg

Hennie Braaiplank 1.jpg

M&R Snybord 1.jpg

M&R Snybord 4.jpg

I stay away from anything Tork Craft if possible by any means. I bought a Tork Craft tool a few years ago that was so poorly made that I had to throw the thing away.

I bought the MAKITA DRT50ZJX2 Trimmer on advice received from Capricorn. I already have a Festool OF 1400 for the bulk of my routing work.

16 hours ago, dev null said:

I figured I need a laminate trimmer.

Question is should I get a cordless one, or corded one?

16 hours ago, Capricorn said:

Plus 1 on the cordless, and as you're already on the Makita platform, it's an easy choice.

Love my little cordless Makita. Plunge, tilted and offset base options make it even better!

Edited by patches

9 hours ago, dev null said:

I stay away from anything Tork Craft if possible by any means. I bought a Tork Craft tool a few years ago that was so poorly made that I had to throw the thing away.

Same here, I think it was a wood drill bit. I used it once and it uncoiled itself.

Needed to drill some accurate holes with a 40mm forstner bit, so the acquisition of a drill press was in order.

Got the little Bosch PBD 40 and I was very impressed.

Compact. Sleek. Digital speed and depth display. Laser. Keyless 13mm Rohm Chuck.

Can recommend to anyone looking for a benchtop drill press.

90D58A73-DF6B-4AE6-8E0E-F40AE2B32517.jpeg.d6de32ac0b66d92ea549d17deac502b7.jpeg

C8691E26-2199-4D7E-AE5F-3231F0295792.jpeg.8e6c99bb0d86d7617bb25e4ff62245be.jpeg

Just got my Makita. Impressive little machine.

I can highly, highly reccommend both Power Tool Services and Power Tool Repairs. Their service is good, especially Power Tool Services, and the delivery is fast also if they have it in stock.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, patches said:

Needed to drill some accurate holes with a 40mm forstner bit, so the acquisition of a drill press was in order.

Got the little Bosch PBD 40 and I was very impressed.

Compact. Sleek. Digital speed and depth display. Laser. Keyless 13mm Rohm Chuck.

Can recommend to anyone looking for a benchtop drill press.

90D58A73-DF6B-4AE6-8E0E-F40AE2B32517.jpeg.d6de32ac0b66d92ea549d17deac502b7.jpeg

C8691E26-2199-4D7E-AE5F-3231F0295792.jpeg.8e6c99bb0d86d7617bb25e4ff62245be.jpeg

Not a keyless chuck fan.