Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

2 hours ago, ABrooks said:

The Drillpro branded jigs and squares on Banggood seem to the most popular and receive good reviews. There are even youtube reviews for some of the Drillpro branded items. 

Yeah i have also noticed that Drillpro features quite a bit.

I bought some Drillpro versions of the Kreg corner clamps. They looked almost identical in the pics. Made me wonder if Kreg just buys the Drillpro ones and brands them (not uncommon in the cycling world).

Kreg 90* Corner Clamp

3b1a2ebd-05fe-4c98-a26c-fbf58ef1f6a1.JPG.webp

I can confirm that although they work ok, they are not quite the same quality as the Kreg ones. But at 1/3 of the price, I'll make that trade off.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of clamps (or at least quick clamps) and the fact that one can never have enough...

What do you good people use?

I really like the Jorgensen EZ Hold clams. Mostly because I got two packs on sale (so 4x 150mm and 4x 300mm). I have some Bahco clamps for my 600-900mm applications.

Jorgensen E-Z Hold Medium-Duty Expandable Bar Clamp/Spreaders| Rockler  Woodworking and Hardware

They have the dovetailed back ends so can be linked together to extend the length. pretty handy.

Pony Jorgensen E-Z HOLD Clamp - Medium Duty

I know Bessey clamps are like the gold standard, but the price isn't justifiable quite yet.

Edited by patches

12 hours ago, ABrooks said:

The Drillpro branded jigs and squares on Banggood seem to the most popular and receive good reviews. There are even youtube reviews for some of the Drillpro branded items. 

Although the Drillpro stuff looks very decent, I just can't deal with the shipping unknowns from Banggood.

I also really dislike supporting the Chinese, especially when it comes to cheap knock-offs.

7 hours ago, patches said:

On the subject of clamps (or at least quick clamps) and the fact that one can never have enough...

I really like the Jorgensen EZ Hold clams. Mostly because I got two packs on sale (so 4x 150mm and 4x 300mm). I have some Bahco clamps for my 600-900mm applications.

Jorgensen E-Z Hold Medium-Duty Expandable Bar Clamp/Spreaders| Rockler  Woodworking and Hardware

They have the dovetailed back ends so can be linked together to extend the length. pretty handy.

I know Bessey clamps are like the gold standard, but the price isn't justifiable quite yet.

Im super cheap with clamps, but these have never yet let me down. I have a bunch in different lengths.

I also have some sash clamps from Adendorff and Gelmar that work fine for the times I need them. I mean really, clamps are clamps, as long as they dont fall apart and can hold your work then they are good :)

quick clamp.png

on the topic of clamps, anyone into the pipe clamp game?
where or how do you have your pipes threaded?

9 minutes ago, Capricorn said:

on the topic of clamps, anyone into the pipe clamp game?
where or how do you have your pipes threaded?

You can buy threaded pipes in standard lengths (think ~600 & 900 mm) from Agrimark.

For longer length clamps, the price is unbeatable. Those similar priced cheap sash clamps are just cheap and nasty, and the price for the decent ones are just "unproportionally" high as if the bulk of the cost lies in the rails/bar itself.

5 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

You can buy threaded pipes in standard lengths (think ~600 & 900 mm) from Agrimark.

For longer length clamps, the price is unbeatable. Those similar priced cheap sash clamps are just cheap and nasty, and the price for the decent ones are just "unproportionally" high as if the bulk of the cost lies in the rails/bar itself.

exactly why i want to get into the pipe clamp game. Often see the pony DIY pipe clamp sets for sale, just no tap and die set to cut my own threads.
But thanks for the agrimark tip. Muchos gracias!

9 hours ago, patches said:

Oooh I like the dovetail ends. That would have negated my dodgy cross clamp MacGyver plan i made when I glued up a chair. 

Yes I know, I need more clamps. Longer clamps. And shorter clamps. And more vice clamps. All the clamps. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably good dowelling jig that isn't super expensive and actually available in the country (or northern Joburg for preference)?

2 hours ago, Capricorn said:

exactly why i want to get into the pipe clamp game. Often see the pony DIY pipe clamp sets for sale, just no tap and die set to cut my own threads.
But thanks for the agrimark tip. Muchos gracias!

I have a mate who is addicted to Agrimark. He simply cannot drive past r through a town that has one without stopping there.........come to think of it, he has some other quirks too!????

11 hours ago, patches said:

I have a pair of Irwin quick grips that live below the bench and are my spare hands all the time and are really good. A few Bora's of similar design and price but not as good and then a fleet of <R100 chinese ones for when things get busy. They don't exert as much force but are fine for normal glue ups.  For big stuff ?eclipse and record sash clamps

unnamed.jpg.7a44181b598ebfbfcdb55ac832ee4963.jpg

Had some Kiaat where the grain ran at right angles almost to the cut and structurally hopeless but beautifully figured. The machine planing had also taken huge chunks out because of the grain variation. So glued them to a substrate and split them on the table saw, made some pine frames and much sanding later got a couple of nice side tables out of them.

1.jpg.7c632a4bbfeb03bd1d94beebe7a498ef.jpg

2.jpg.64866eedc01fa1f967d9f20198ab5553.jpg

5.jpg.74046da1379441ee3aae88a9a8f1f626.jpg4.jpg.13e08e62afcddb0af4ff559e0c0c3213.jpg

1 hour ago, geomark said:

Had some Kiaat where the grain ran at right angles almost to the cut and structurally hopeless but beautifully figured. The machine planing had also taken huge chunks out because of the grain variation. So glued them to a substrate and split them on the table saw, made some pine frames and much sanding later got a couple of nice side tables out of them.

5.jpg.74046da1379441ee3aae88a9a8f1f626.jpg4.jpg.13e08e62afcddb0af4ff559e0c0c3213.jpg

I'm not a fan of kiaat, but that piece will give even a very nice piece of walnut a run for its money.

Well done!

On 6/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, geomark said:

Oooh wow!  Love it!

10 hours ago, stromtroeper said:

Howdy,

Would anyone recommend the Kreg trak & stop kit for mitre sawing or is there something better?KREG Precision Trak & Stop Kit (2438.4mm Cutting Capacity)-Power Tool Accessories-Eco Depot Africa

There are a few options for mitre saw fences and stops out there

Here are some ideas

A DIY system using aluminium extrution

The FastCap Best Fence option.

And then for the stops, the Katz-Moses No Deflection Stop Block seems to be quite a popular option. Typically used on cross-cut sleds, I'm sure it can be used on a Mitre Saw station if there is a universal T-track in use.

It it's accuracy you're after then mitre saws are not usually the go-to. Cross cut sleds are generally considered to give better results. Although one can spend some time and effort tuning their mitre saw (watch the Build It Fix It series of videos for more detail).

If it's just ease of use and speed that you're looking for, the Kreg system should do fine.