Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

The Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge I bought was delivered today. Being my first tool from the pricey red brand, I inspected it pretty carefully.

I can confirm that the workmanship is top notch. However, it also weights a ton due to the 650mm long x 20mm diameter solid stainless steel shaft. They did produce an alu shaft version, but the St/Steel was the only one I could find.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, patches said:

The Woodpecker Panel Marking Gauge I bought was delivered today. Being my first tool from the pricey red brand, I inspected it pretty carefully.

I can confirm that the workmanship is top notch. However, it also weights a ton due to the 650mm long x 20mm diameter solid stainless steel shaft. They did produce an alu shaft version, but the St/Steel was the only one I could find.

Does the weight not concern you, especially at the longer lengths?
When I saw it the first time you posted I thought that it looks like it will be difficult to control beyond 500mm. Both ends need to move at the same speed, if one end "digs" in or slows down your straight line disappears quickly. That is obviously without holding or seeing it personally.

19 hours ago, stromtroeper said:

Howdy,

Would anyone recommend the Kreg trak & stop kit for mitre sawing or is there something better?KREG Precision Trak & Stop Kit (2438.4mm Cutting Capacity)-Power Tool Accessories-Eco Depot Africa

Depends how much those things cost.

A T-track, a block of wood with a bolt and star knob will do just as well. 

15 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

When I saw it the first time you posted I thought that it looks like it will be difficult to control beyond 500mm. Both ends need to move at the same speed, if one end "digs" in or slows down your straight line disappears quickly. That is obviously without holding or seeing it personally.

Oh yeah indeed. They make a 150mm version for smaller applications. This version has a larger fence to counteract the length.

I think with the fence firmly against the sheet and an even movement, the cutting wheel should stay parallel to the reference edge. 

Guess I'll find out this evening when I mark some and cut some ply panel intended as structural support for some pendant lights I'll be installing.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:44 PM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

On 7/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, patches said:

Oh yeah indeed. They make a 150mm version for smaller applications. This version has a larger fence to counteract the length.

I think with the fence firmly against the sheet and an even movement, the cutting wheel should stay parallel to the reference edge. 

Guess I'll find out this evening when I mark some and cut some ply panel intended as structural support for some pendant lights I'll be installing.

Tested this out last week. Used it on some plywood to mark out 480mm and 300mm measurements. Gauge is accurate. Weight does make it hefty to position and push along the reference edge. But the weight also helps the scribe wheel cut in without the need from downwards force by the user. The mechanical pencil also worked well.

Overall though, it was a splurge purchase and there are plenty of other ways to get the job done. The cost of convenience for a home-gamer like me definitely outweighs the benefit.. Still a beautifully manufactured tool though.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, carrera4s said:

Hi all,

I have eventually made some videos on how I make my wooden screws.  Some weekend watching for you.  ???? 

Hope you enjoy.

And subscribed!

Once again, not too much "woodwork" involved, but here's the carpentry, electrical and builder's work that has been keeping me busy over the past few weeks.

The "Original"

image.png.c8b37d1d284709eba20ce15490a67e1a.pngThis was what the bedroom looked like at the open home when the house was purchased (early 2019). So much beige!

The Inbetween

image.png.90309e264e7589ccc166e30238dd3245.png

image.png.498caf2437affe651d0b646dc263facd.pngDecided to rip up the carpet to reveal some original hardwood floors, and give the walls and trim a little paint refresh.

The Revamp

image.png.1e3e3367a1b9026f513ab20a1753dbc0.png

image.png.fdfdcfb1fe01ff168765ba539c026056.png

Demolished the nasty textured ceilings and cleared out the insul-fluff

image.png.ba22ca9140c3420826e6b796a5ad1287.pngRan new electrical for downlights (with 3 way switching), and bedside pendant lights. Installed new insulation and started lifting new drywall sheets into place.

image.png.85370551e9e163417bba33782c0c6a77.png

First coat of plastering done.

image.png.933a2ef53eda6e54c377b1fc5ed1d1f3.png

Tried an HVLP sprayer vs traditional roller and brush. A fair bit more effort masking it up, but so quick and easy to do coats and clean equipment.

image.png.f2ead8e07912ebce688a1113e1fde4d2.png

The painted product. Came out pretty good for 1st time spraying.

The Result

image.png.ce55bd58428c0532b5423b9cb8fbd43d.png 

image.png.ac6e8b83d22ced3cee6dcceb97c9fdb7.png

Furnished and ready to re-inhabit.

Overall happy with the result. 2 more rooms to go though!

Edited by patches

1 hour ago, patches said:

Once again, not too much "woodwork" involved, but here's the carpentry, electrical and builder's work that has been keeping me busy over the past few weeks.

Wow! You are doing some pretty serious work to your house. Did you figure out the plastering, electrical, etc. as you went along, or did you have someone teach you?

11 minutes ago, GrahamS2 said:

Wow! You are doing some pretty serious work to your house. Did you figure out the plastering, electrical, etc. as you went along, or did you have someone teach you?

Youtube and practice, haha!

Over the last 2 years I've probably spent double the time watching tradie youtube channels than I have watching series or movies :lol:  Some really good stuff out there.

This would be the 5th ceiling I've replaced, so the plastering gets a little more efficient each time. As for the electrical, if it's something not too straight forward (like 3 way switching, or 2 way switching with a smart controller linked in), then I build a lower voltage (18V) test bench to try it out first. Once the concept and schematic are correct, I'll install the real deal.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:54 AM, carrera4s said:

Hi all,

I have eventually made some videos on how I make my wooden screws.  Some weekend watching for you.  ???? 

Hope you enjoy.

Amazing stuff!! Im amazed you went so far to get it all done, that was a lot of work!!

The screws are amazing and Im very excited to build something with one :)

3 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

@patchesnice work!

Those paint sprayers have always intrigued me, it just makes so much sense. 

Personally I have not seen any contractors in CT using them as yet.

Sajid uses a HVLP system on Scott Brown carpentry.

It looks like the prep is more painful but the actual painting is a lot quicker and easier. I can imagine it would be awesome for ceilings, those things are a pain to get a streak free finish.

10 hours ago, patches said:

The "Original"

This was what the bedroom looked like at the open home when the house was purchased (early 2019). So much beige!

The Inbetween

Decided to rip up the carpet to reveal some original hardwood floors, and give the walls and trim a little paint refresh.

The Revamp

Demolished the nasty textured ceilings and cleared out the insul-fluff

Ran new electrical for downlights (with 3 way switching), and bedside pendant lights. Installed new insulation and started lifting new drywall sheets into place.

First coat of plastering done.

Tried an HVLP sprayer vs traditional roller and brush. A fair bit more effort masking it up, but so quick and easy to do coats and clean equipment.

The painted product. Came out pretty good for 1st time spraying.

The Result

Damn dude, amazing work, very impressive!

Although this nearly made me barf...

image.png.1e3e3367a1b9026f513ab20a1753dbc0.png