Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I have a question for the business owners here. What software are you using for designing kitchens etc?

And do you have a software solution for designing furniture?

When I was still insane (ie doing kitchens) I used a combination of things. I'm partial to using Sketchup for my designs overall, I used that for some kitchens as well. I've also used http://www.compusoftgroup.com/Old/content/products/DesignAtWeb/App/DesignAtWeb_EN_ZA.htm this web app, which is fairly nifty and features nice lighting etc. 

Nowadays I stay as far away as possible from building kitchens, I've just grown averse to that type of customer ... they tend to be a strange breed (in my experience)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for the business owners here. What software are you using for designing kitchens etc?

And do you have a software solution for designing furniture?

Not a joiner ... but.

We do Architecture and Interiors.

Sketchup is a great tool to do designs with rather quickly and then it one would take it to AutoCAD for final drawings. What I have been doing as of late to save time, is to export the elevations / sections in a flat elevation in both DWG and JPG format.

I then overlay and scale the rendered elevation in AutoCAD and can dimension and annotate the drawings freely vs the tedious dims and annotation on Sketchup.

What this also does is give a nice presentation to the drawings we issue to the joiners for costing purposes. 

When I was still insane (ie doing kitchens) I used a combination of things. I'm partial to using Sketchup for my designs overall, I used that for some kitchens as well. I've also used http://www.compusoftgroup.com/Old/content/products/DesignAtWeb/App/DesignAtWeb_EN_ZA.htm this web app, which is fairly nifty and features nice lighting etc. 

Nowadays I stay as far away as possible from building kitchens, I've just grown averse to that type of customer ... they tend to be a strange breed (in my experience)

I also many years ago toyed with the idea of starting a kitchen cupboard business. And then came to my senses. I just don't like the idea of working with white chipboard 98% of the time, when what I really wanted to do was build proper cabinetry. Problem is that nobody want to either pay for the proper thing, or wait patiently for you to do it properly.

Hmmmm. I am using Articad, but I'm not loving it much these days and it's pricey. It doesn't do furniture though. I'll look into AutoCad

I hear you re the kitchens. I'm getting back into the furniture side again slowly. Far more rewarding too

I also many years ago toyed with the idea of starting a kitchen cupboard business. And then came to my senses. I just don't like the idea of working with white chipboard 98% of the time, when what I really wanted to do was build proper cabinetry. Problem is that nobody want to either pay for the proper thing, or wait patiently for you to do it properly.

So glad we do not farm out boring kitchen designs :P

So glad we do not farm out boring kitchen designs :P

The problem is that if you want a big contract, you probably need to do boring stuff, as most big developers just want some basic cabinetry to sell the home and don't want to spend much so as to maximise profits.

Most homeowners these days redo the kitchen as soon as they move in or have enough money to do so anyway.  It is a known fact that most of the times, the wife actually drives the home purchase, and the best way to impress the wife is a great kitchen and enough storage in the home.

Edited by Moridin

We will be shortly looking at remodeling the kitchen. Gonna cost a pretty penny, if we want to install anything remotely decent.

Oh, forgot to mention, I have a hot tip.

If any of you watch the Paul Sellers videos, you will notice that he uses cheap aluminium bar clamps for most of his work, which he strengthened by inserting wooden cores into the clamps, thereby making them much more resistant to deformation.

You can get those same clamps from Tork Craft locally.  In fact, they all come from the same factory in China, and are sold across the globe under different brands.

I bought some 24" clamps, each at about R200.  These would be perfect for gluing up drawers, as they are light and you don't need that much force for that job.

They are not uber strong though, so for some jobs you should still get the much more stronger I-bar sash clamps.

EDIT: Video added.

Edited by Moridin

The final version of Ds' catapult. The PVC pipe baldes work extremely well. It is within spec. (300 x 250 x 600 mm maximum dimensions) and it chucks a golf ball about 10 metres. Possibly further, but for fear of breaking something at this late stage, he decided not to crank it up to the max. I'm struggling with the video, but will keep trying.

Thanks for the PVC pipe tip Eddy, it made a huge difference.

post-17716-0-82559600-1472398476_thumb.jpg

The final version of Ds' catapult. The PVC pipe baldes work extremely well. It is within spec. (300 x 250 x 600 mm maximum dimensions) and it chucks a golf ball about 10 metres. Possibly further, but for fear of breaking something at this late stage, he decided not to crank it up to the max. I'm struggling with the video, but will keep trying.

Thanks for the PVC pipe tip Eddy, it made a huge difference.

I'm glad it works! I was wondering if you came right with the pvc ( ps, it was my suggestion  :))

I'm glad it works! I was wondering if you came right with the pvc ( ps, it was my suggestion  :))

Jimmy, of course, thank you. Where did I get Eddy from? Sniffed too much glue maybe? :blush:

Jimmy, of course, thank you. Where did I get Eddy from? Sniffed too much glue maybe? :blush:

Haha! That's ok. :)

It was probably the glue!

Sometimes you get lucky, it seems it was my turn this past month...asked my niece in Benoni to be on the lookout for block planes of any description (I collect them and any other type of piano and violin planes) She phoned me about a month ago whilst trawling the antique shops around Benoni and surrounds with a "would this be what you looking for?"

Sent me few pics of the planes and price and done deal!

Stanley #130 - combination Block plane with bull nose plane in excellent condition

Stanley #174 - piano plane in same condition (this is a Stanley Sweetheart edition)

Bill = R180.00 :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

post-19592-0-54602400-1472621838_thumb.jpg

post-19592-0-02836000-1472621854_thumb.jpg

post-19592-0-88556900-1472621866_thumb.jpg

post-19592-0-73471100-1472621879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed-Zulu