Whitters

My husband and I did Adventure. Day 1 & 2 awesome. Happy to have survived Day 3 without any incidents. Never rode so much mud before. Not yet sure what the damage on the bikes are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my 6th Trail, and we had a great ride! We've always struck it lucky with the weather on the Trail and this year was no different. In fact, probably the best weather yet. Sorry to hear about the wet conditions for the race. Rain was the main reason why the event was originally moved from Feb to May, but ensuring a dry ride is unfortunately just impossible.

We did a Day 0 ride up to Sani pass. Spectacular ride and the highlight of my week. Lunch and a beer at the highest pub in Africa. 1500 meters of climbing over 20km. That last switchback section on the pass is brutal and makes Iconic look easy, especially since your over 2500 meters above sea level.

We expected the ride to cause some tired and heavy legs somewhere between Day 2 and 3 but it never did. We just became stronger every day. We smashed our fastest Sani time by over 2 hours. Memorable week indeed, but that Day 0 ride up to Lesotho takes the cake.

did you have to produce passports?

did you have to produce passports?

Yes, the SA border post is halfway up the pass and the Lesotho border post at the top.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Did my first Sani2c and it was the Race,

Day one was fast and dry so lots of dust, but the following two days were tough. Not just all the mud but also just keeping mentally strong. Wind on day two was so bad it blew a couple of riders over on the paving section at the end. Even as a heavy + 100kg rider I had to be careful.

Day 3 was great. Lots and Lots of mud but the comradery of those who decided to stick it out and finish what they started did wonders.

Jokingly Farmer Glen also called the team handing out the T shirts and told them only dirty mud riders would qualify.

Great fun but sad I missed the normal day 2 ride.

Bike, well this is a another story. New BB, head set and pivot bearings required. Magura brakes performed very well and no need to change the pads or discs.

Would like to know from fellow race participants, on why they balled on day 3 ?. For me there has never been a better reason than to spend time on the bike.

Was fortunate enough to ride the Adventure as a late substitution. Day 1 and Day 2 were hot, fast and dusty. The single track was absolutely amazing. The only downside was the amount of braking necessary just as you got onto the single track and having to dodge a slower rider, or brake in an attempt to avoid a collision.
Day 3 was rough, the amount of mud and muck exceeded anything I've yet have to endure for such a long ride; I was afraid to strip my bike to get an exact handle on the wear and damage caused. Did so yesterday and was shocked to see all suspension bearings needs replacement, BB is also shot; luckily the wheel bearings did not contain a single drop of water.

Yes, I'm entering again for 2018.

Would like to know from fellow race participants, on why they balled on day 3 ?. For me there has never been a better reason than to spend time on the bike.

Your chances of crashing in that mud is very good.  Being off work due so sickness or a broken bone is just not worth the risk.

A comment I would like to add.

If you are wondering about needing a GPS, get one. It will save you some serious extra miles and keep you safe.

On day two one couple did an extra 10 km because the took a wrong turn without a GPS. They landed up riding on some district road and eventually hit a tar road. They realised what had happened, but from the route description managed to make it to WP1 on a tar road. A GPS would have prevented this. Whilst this is fine if you are fit, if you are a backmarker, it can get hairy.

As you are all aware, Team Slowbee spent alot of time at the back. On day 3 we were being followed from WP1 by the motorcycle, which should mean we were last. Fortunately the guy on the motorcycle could see we were riding within ourselves, got up all the hills ok, it was just the conditions slowing us down. But the poor oke had a torrid time making sure everyone was home safe. Every now and then he would disappear and come back and say to us we are no longer last as he found 4 riders, or he found another 3 riders. At one stage he found a group of 5 riders!! The number of riders who were lost and had no GPS was plain silly. Most of them exhausted and shattered.

If you plan on doing this event as an unfit backmarker, get a darn GPS. Even if you borrow a GPS, just get one. Its all fun in fine weather without one - but things could get very bad if you are lost without one in foul weather.

And I really do need to buy that motorcycle dude a bottle of something fine.

Did my 6th Trail, and we had a great ride! We've always struck it lucky with the weather on the Trail and this year was no different. In fact, probably the best weather yet. Sorry to hear about the wet conditions for the race. Rain was the main reason why the event was originally moved from Feb to May, but ensuring a dry ride is unfortunately just impossible.

We did a Day 0 ride up to Sani pass. Spectacular ride and the highlight of my week. Lunch and a beer at the highest pub in Africa. 1500 meters of climbing over 20km. That last switchback section on the pass is brutal and makes Iconic look easy, especially since your over 2500 meters above sea level.

We expected the ride to cause some tired and heavy legs somewhere between Day 2 and 3 but it never did. We just became stronger every day. We smashed our fastest Sani time by over 2 hours. Memorable week indeed, but that Day 0 ride up to Lesotho takes the cake.

It's actual not the highest pub in Africa, found that out soon after I did it 2 years ago.

A comment I would like to add.

If you are wondering about needing a GPS, get one. It will save you some serious extra miles and keep you safe.

On day two one couple did an extra 10 km because the took a wrong turn without a GPS. They landed up riding on some district road and eventually hit a tar road. They realised what had happened, but from the route description managed to make it to WP1 on a tar road. A GPS would have prevented this. Whilst this is fine if you are fit, if you are a backmarker, it can get hairy.

As you are all aware, Team Slowbee spent alot of time at the back. On day 3 we were being followed from WP1 by the motorcycle, which should mean we were last. Fortunately the guy on the motorcycle could see we were riding within ourselves, got up all the hills ok, it was just the conditions slowing us down. But the poor oke had a torrid time making sure everyone was home safe. Every now and then he would disappear and come back and say to us we are no longer last as he found 4 riders, or he found another 3 riders. At one stage he found a group of 5 riders!! The number of riders who were lost and had no GPS was plain silly. Most of them exhausted and shattered.

If you plan on doing this event as an unfit backmarker, get a darn GPS. Even if you borrow a GPS, just get one. Its all fun in fine weather without one - but things could get very bad if you are lost without one in foul weather.

And I really do need to buy that motorcycle dude a bottle of something fine.

most of the time we were following the fresh tracks from the riders ahead of us but every so often I would glance down at the gps this was mainly on day 1 & day 2 only. But Day 3 was full on gps & map.

most of the time we were following the fresh tracks from the riders ahead of us but every so often I would glance down at the gps this was mainly on day 1 & day 2 only. But Day 3 was full on gps & map.

if you are a mid pack rider, doing an event like this without a GPS, should be fine, but not recommended. As a mid pack, you will always be with other riders - and the chance of not seeing another rider is slim, there will always be others.

At the back, where we were, we had hours without seeing another cyclist. Maybe when we crested a rise or across a valley - the chances of getting lost were pretty high. The risks are just to high. It should just be about your safety. Thats all.

Anybody thinking of doing an event that requires a GPS should just get one. Borrow one if you have to if its a one time event.

Is that what you rode with every day?  :eek:

Yes, that is what I road with everyday.

What is not shown is the jacket, in case of rain.

Could not agree with you more, that was proper mountain biking in my view and a proper test of your skills & tenacity as well as testing your bike against the elements - I truly was amazed at what those bikes can endure!. Granted the repair bill is probably not going to be too pleasant but hey I have some great war stories.

Each to their own but to be able to say that you survived day 3 is definitely worth the risk Spinnekop alludes to - but as I said, that is my view.

Edited by Wet Ears

Was fortunate enough to ride the Adventure as a late substitution. Day 1 and Day 2 were hot, fast and dusty. The single track was absolutely amazing. The only downside was the amount of braking necessary just as you got onto the single track and having to dodge a slower rider, or brake in an attempt to avoid a collision.

Day 3 was rough, the amount of mud and muck exceeded anything I've yet have to endure for such a long ride; I was afraid to strip my bike to get an exact handle on the wear and damage caused. Did so yesterday and was shocked to see all suspension bearings needs replacement, BB is also shot; luckily the wheel bearings did not contain a single drop of water.

Yes, I'm entering again for 2018.

don't forget to check your rear derailler jockey wheel bearings! Top one of mine was OK but the bottom one, not so good.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit