Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

to add.

there is no rule about a car stopping to admire a view while going the correct way around the loop.

so if a cyclist bombing down a hill goes into the rear of a car - it's the cyclists mistake.

#whatsthespeedlimit?

I'm sure you meant "there is no rule preventing a car from stopping", right?

I may be wrong but I think I saw signage indicating speed limits along the course- can't be 100% sure though as I was riding devilish hills at the time! I also think the "rules and guidelines" paper you get after paying your entrance fee states a speed limit to adhere to. If I'm wrong on both accounts, I would assume public road rules apply (i.e. 60 or less perhaps), because Suikerbosrand is a public nature reserve, but then again the figures that come to mind on the paper/signage is 30. Good question, now I'm not sure!

Edited by Dirkitech

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a hard day out there on Saturday... A few f**knuts (mainly in cars) going the wrong way. Luckily they passed me while I was on my way up the hills (i.e. not much faster than walking pace  :P )

Also my first double loop :clap:  (Second time round was 25 minutes slower than my first  :eek:. That said, I did a PB on the first loop so I was a bit knackered by the time I started the second)

you have reason to brag a bit.

Also my first double loop :clap:  (Second time round was 25 minutes slower than my first  :eek:. That said, I did a PB on the first loop so I was a bit knackered by the time I started the second)

Nice one bra! 

Now you should aim for a triple loop. There are only 14 people on Strava that have done a triple, so get in before the rush :P

Been to SBR a few times recently and was surprised at the amount of riders and cars going in the opposite direction. From what I could see it was not due to a disregard of the rules, but rather due to a rescue mission for riders that hopelessly under estimated their fitness,or how tough SBR really is, or maybe both.

Was there this Saturday and saw at least 3 ladies that were considerably larger than the recommended BMI, and they were broken, and I was thinking "What were they thinking coming to SBR to ride?". Someone lied to them about something!

I was thinking the same thing as I went past them in the slowest over taking maneuver in the history of cycling....

There was another dude with takkies and full winter gear that I met pushing his bike on the hill before the picnic spot. He wanted to know how far to the finish. I didn't know what to tell him so said I would pray for him????

I spent the rest of my ride wondering how he came across Suikerbosrand to begin with.

to add.

there is no rule about a car stopping to admire a view while going the correct way around the loop.

so if a cyclist bombing down a hill goes into the rear of a car - it's the cyclists mistake.

#whatsthespeedlimit?

Fair point, however, it's a lot easier to stop when it's just your speed involved when compared to your speed, as well as the car travelling at 40kph +

I saw a guy with a small wheeled MTB in the back of he's car being turned away 3 weeks ago.

I asked the security and he said the chap didn't know he had to pay. He was just told to come ride SBR...

I thought it was because it was not a 29er :whistling:  

Hi, my name is Frosty - and I haven’t been to the reserve for more than a year... [emoji4]

I am disappoint [emoji50]

to add.

#whatsthespeedlimit?

Having driven around there before as well as riding, I can confidently say that there is nowhere or any reason to stop on the descents, especially the major points.

Where there are viewpoints there is a pull over point.

In any mode of transport it's pretty stupid to stop dead in the middle of the road.

I am disappoint [emoji50]

Me too

Edit: just checked Strava - 14/04/2017 [emoji24][emoji24]

Edited by Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in full-on crisis 947 training mode due to a hectic travelling schedule the last couple of weeks, so looking at attempting the SBR beast this Sunday for the first time. 

I'm not looking at getting the KOM, just want to attempt to finish the big loop in under 4hrs if possible (3h59 will be a win in my books). 

So, any tips for a first-timer? A few questions I have:

• Are there any water points / shops? I have 2x 600ml bottles and no camelback, so want to have an idea if I should make a plan to carry more water or not.
  • Card payments allowed for entrance/parking?

Not to detract from your training, but Suikerbos is hard, but doable. Prepare for a long, but good day out with sufficient food and you will be good to go - sub 4 hours is certainly achievable.

Pertaining your questions above, there is a picnic site around the halfway point which has drinkable water, as well as the guardhouse at the second entrance (I'm assuming you will be starting from the main parking lot with the braai area).

Entrance fee can only be paid with cash.

Most of all, enjoy your ride, it's a beautiful place!

I'm in full-on crisis 947 training mode due to a hectic travelling schedule the last couple of weeks, so looking at attempting the SBR beast this Sunday for the first time. 

I'm not looking at getting the KOM, just want to attempt to finish the big loop in under 4hrs if possible (3h59 will be a win in my books). 

• Are there any water points / shops? I have 2x 600ml bottles and no camelback, so want to have an idea if I should make a plan to carry more water or not.

one water bottle is more than enough u can fill up at camp sites, you need to take cash this is government run.

Good luck bud  :whistling:  , first time is always "nice"

Taps available at both entrances and at the picnic terrain. I would rather take my own though

Weekend should be around 30 degrees, so rather take more than you think you will use.

Cash is king, I dont think they accept Cards but I have never tried though.

Take some pictures and enjoy, looking forward to your ride report  :thumbup:

Most important!! The descends are seriously dangerous and even some pros

have had major crashes. WAIT until you are sure you are at the bottom before

picking up speed- Don't say I didn't warn you !!