SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

I love this bit on that page...we are losing 10s of trillions of gazillions through government.....! Maybe sort that nonsense out first!

We know South Africa is losing tens-of-billions of rands through illicit trade in the tobacco industry, fuel industry, gold refining industry… We know there’s been aggressive planning and complicated structures that large corporates engage in that has seen billions of rands flowing offshore, not all of it legitimately… We know there are 2.1 million South Africans with financial assets offshore…

Edward Kieswetter, Commissioner - South African Revenue Servic

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this bit on that page...we are losing 10s of trillions of gazillions through government.....! Maybe sort that nonsense out first!

We know South Africa is losing tens-of-billions of rands through illicit trade in the tobacco industry, fuel industry, gold refining industry… We know there’s been aggressive planning and complicated structures that large corporates engage in that has seen billions of rands flowing offshore, not all of it legitimately… We know there are 2.1 million South Africans with financial assets offshore…

Edward Kieswetter, Commissioner - South African Revenue Servic

If you replace "know" with " hope" the paragraph sounds more believable.

Seems they are desperate to finds new streams of income, even if it means making them up.......

• 3 months later...

Hi all, am I understanding correectly that eFiling only opens on the 1st September 2020 and not 1st july 2020 as per every other year previously.
Why has this been changed, asided from government not having enough in the coffers possibly???

Hi all, am I understanding correectly that eFiling only opens on the 1st September 2020 and not 1st july 2020 as per every other year previously.

Why has this been changed, asided from government not having enough in the coffers possibly???

Cant find anything on their website indicating the above. If true, could also be as a result of companies not having time to process IRP5's with Lock Down etc.

Thats the article I saw.

I also saw an article earlier this year saying employers that were compliant, their employee's would be able to still file from the 1st July. That article is now gone though, can't find it anywhere.

I did find this which again says 1st September 2020..........

https://www.sars.gov.za/TaxTypes/PIT/Tax-Season/Pages/default.aspx

Didn't SARS say that they would do everything to speed up the payment of refunds. How is moving the filing season by two months going to achieve this?

We have also not seen anything from a VAT point of view where refunds have been processed any faster.

Didn't SARS say that they would do everything to speed up the payment of refunds. How is moving the filing season by two months going to achieve this?

We have also not seen anything from a VAT point of view where refunds have been processed any faster.

We're actually seeing a delay of almost 60 days and the excuses are all COVID related. This is going to have serious implications for the economy in our case it's a serious sum of money.

They have to wait for the IMF loan to hit the account before they will have any money to give back to us...

• 2 weeks later...

They have to wait for the IMF loan to hit the account before they will have any money to give back to us...

They did mine recently and it was a hefty sum.I have always found once you supply the required paperwork and keep going they come to the party.Since I returned to RSA in 2012 and became a taxpayer again they have not let me down once

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

I logged into efiling yesterday and was able to submit.

The IRP5 section was completely empty and I had to manually fill it in from my employer supplied print out.

I do have quite a nice reimbursement again and so was AGAIN audited.

I just made sure to attach anything they may possibly want to see, that included the IRP5 print out, car purchase as they asked for that after the fact last year.

Still saying 21 work days so lets wait and see........