2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

Serious heartbreak hotel stuff... just reminds us how tough this all is when even he can get it so wrong. Still an unbelievable ride though, but I can only assume he will be back again to go sub 10. Sub 9 is surely impossible?

think the hard riding to rhodes took its toll the last few days.  But now he knows he can go under 10 days so think he will be back just for that.  Stuff like this also bothers him went he gets it "wrong" (Stettyns)  Last year when he had a bad night on Lehanas he needed to go back and do it properly so Stettyns will see him again at night 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to remove another 24 hours from the elusive sub 10 days is going to take someone who knows 2500km of course backwards, without a map while exhausted, someone faster/fitter/stronger than MD with the mental fortitude of MD's wife and MD combined. 

If I see a sub 9 days I will expect a race legal sub 2 hour marathon and a sub 9.2 100m sprint....

'm wondering if he knows that he's got the record in the bag and is now leaving a little gap to break into the sub 10 next time?

My little conspiracy theory

From my knowledge of Martin I cannot see him holding back for anything. Taking his foot of the gas unnecessarily is not in his makeup. 

I think a far more likely event is that the severe sleep deprivation he must have been suffering limited his navigation skills. he was close to the route but could not work it out in the dark.

Also, I wonder how much light his dynamo hub light could give him after a few hours of hike-a-bike. I am sure he considered it as I know he had other lights, but that may have been a contributing factor.

Either way, so astounded by what he has achieved.

To my eyeball, it seems that the last two days since Rouxpas he has slowed down a bit.  Taking longer to get to the next stop and actually stopping at each of the checkpoints which he wasn't doing earlier in the race.  He's still moving at a far quicker pace than I could manage, and I know that he's been going flat out for a long time, but still I'm wondering if he knows that he's got the record in the bag and is now leaving a little gap to break into the sub 10 next time?

My little conspiracy theory

Let me quote: (from after Rouxpos)

Headwind last night

Rain, headwind

Walking, headwind hell

Strong headwind

By my calcs Martin may have lost 4-5 hours due to conditions over the last 48 hours up to Stetteyns (if not more). Steve's graphs may support this. I factor out sleep that he sacrificed in the process. He was doing 16km/h yesterday all day from Montagu to Stetteyns on flat roads and was even pushing on some downhills.

Just getting himself in a position to give sub-10 a chance was a Herculean effort in itself.

Headwind last night

Rain, headwind

Walking, headwind hell

Strong headwind

By my calcs Martin may have lost 4-5 hours due to conditions over the last 48 hours up to Stetteyns (if not more). Steve's graphs may support this. I factor out sleep that he sacrificed in the process. He was doing 16km/h yesterday all day from Montagu to Stetteyns on flat roads and was even pushing on some downhills.

Just getting himself in a position to give sub-10 a chance was a Herculean effort in itself.

Some people are tough, some are tougher, but this is a completely different level

[11:13 AM, 6/23/2017] jeannie bomford: Mart put everything out there last night but the unpredictability of the nature of this game is what makes or breaks you. He is absolutely spent but he has the x- factor that knows no limits. So so happy to hear he is safe xx  "

What we tend to forget when hoping for a record is that although his riding may be super-human, he is ultimately a husband, a father and someone's son. Whilst we were hoping for a sub-10 day ride, some people were worried about his safety.  

[11:13 AM, 6/23/2017] jeannie bomford: Mart put everything out there last night but the unpredictability of the nature of this game is what makes or breaks you. He is absolutely spent but he has the x- factor that knows no limits. So so happy to hear he is safe xx  "

What we tend to forget when hoping for a record is that although his riding may be super-human, he is ultimately a husband, a father and someone's son. Whilst we were hoping for a sub-10 day ride, some people were worried about his safety.  

The joke they always play is that she drags him out of bed to train/compete!

He is indeed all of those things as well as an amazing role model for pretty much everybody. Such humble, down to earth folk. I remember Martin turning up to DC a couple of years ago in a see through, brown, inelastic pair of bibs. The pace line wasn't terribly impressed but his answer was 'they are comfy'... 

Jeanie knows as well as anybody how pear things can go and just how quickly when you are sleep deprived, broken and just plain exhausted. I'm sure she wasn't worried as a lot of our missus' would, rather just relieved that nothing that could have gone wrong actually went wrong.

I am sure he will be back for another crack. I am also sure Jeanie will be looking at a 10 day woman's record and wondering...........

Human, Super-Human, Aliens, Dreyers

okee dokee, let me jump in whilst we're all speculating on where Martin went 'wrong'.

It was a huge push to Rhodes, and opening a 24 hour gap on the record pace after 4 days is pretty much full gas. He didn't stretch the lead over 2012 Martin beyond that.

From the baviaans he has dropped off a bit, but remember 2012 Martin did have a flying Alex Harris only 4 hours behind him (and was also 5 years younger than 2017 Martin - although he's not your average 48 year old, he is still 'technically an ou ballie').

[7:11 AM, 6/20/2017] Martin Dreyer: Hardest day on the bike ever yesterday. Woke up this morning and the tears came streaming out speaking to my Birdie. Tears of relief that yesterday is past. The wind may have won the battle yesterday, bloody hell, but I will make certain I win the war!!! Your well wishes are out of this world and gives me that extra gear so thank you for that.... Cheers Mart

Throw in some headwinds, side wall cuts, extreme fatigue, saddle sores etc etc and I think we know that this is never over till it's over. Sure Sub 10 is possible. Maybe getting to Rhodes in 55 hours might set him up better for the second half. It's all really speculation, and nothing more.

Sub 13 was laughed off by those in the know (me included) in 2009, and who knows what sort of athlete a big prize money could bring.

[7:11 AM, 6/20/2017] Martin Dreyer: Hardest day on the bike ever yesterday. Woke up this morning and the tears came streaming out speaking to my Birdie. Tears of relief that yesterday is past. The wind may have won the battle yesterday, bloody hell, but I will make certain I win the war!!! Your well wishes are out of this world and gives me that extra gear so thank you for that.... Cheers Mart

Headwind last night

Rain, headwind

Walking, headwind hell

Strong headwind

I was factoring out the conditions, same way that you were factoring out lack of sleep  :P

It really is an incredible feat!  And he's almost there!!  Seconds left.

Scary pic - can you imagine the genes in those two lighties.

Just imagine the battling between those two's genes to decide who was going to be the dominant one... more action than a Game of throne season finale  :lol: