I read all over Hubland of hubbers using Trainingpeaks. Now my scenario is as follows, My coach loads the workouts on TP,  i then export it via Trainer Roads Workout Creator and add them to my TR calender which sync with the TR app where i do the workout in.....(man this is a mouthfull!!!). The finished workout gets synced with TP again. Is there a way of doing the workout directly in TP, and not using TR at all. I am paying for TR and TP (coach's orders to get full package). Please any help or ideas ??

If you have a Garmin with the Trainingpeaks app you can do it directly off TP (provided it is built as a structured workout in TP). I don't know off hand which Garmins support this but my 935, 945 and 820 all do.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read all over Hubland of hubbers using Trainingpeaks. Now my scenario is as follows, My coach loads the workouts on TP,  i then export it via Trainer Roads Workout Creator and add them to my TR calender which sync with the TR app where i do the workout in.....(man this is a mouthfull!!!). The finished workout gets synced with TP again. Is there a way of doing the workout directly in TP, and not using TR at all. I am paying for TR and TP (coach's orders to get full package). Please any help or ideas ??

TP is just a workout calendar and post workout analysis tool, it does not have the function to control your trainer like TR does, so you have to export your workout to TR/Rouvy/Golden Cheetah to then use the software to control your smart trainer, as you are currently doing.

You can however, if you have a Garmin Edge device, use that to control your trainer instead of TR.

You autosync your TP workouts with your garmin calendar and device https://www.trainingpeaks.com/coach-blog/garmin-connect-autosync-integration/

You can then do the workout on your Edge device which can control the smart trainer https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=CHnxYj6F2OA6tN4QRRjEJ8

This is a possible option to save on paying for TR

if you use a garmin device you can sync the structured workouts from TP to garmin 

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/trainingpeaks-garmin-iq-app-now-available-for-download/

I do the IDT ride with my 520 which controls my trainer

The Trainingpeaks GarminIQ no longer needed, TP and Garmin now have full autosync calendar integration https://www.trainingpeaks.com/coach-blog/garmin-connect-autosync-integration/

awesome, thanks

wasn't even aware of this.

Works fantastic, I go to do a workout on my edge 520 or F5, whether cycle, run, swim and as is already auto synced with TP (provided it is a workout builder and not just text), my device asks me if I want to do the workout, view it or skip it.  If say yes, workout starts as soon as you hit start button, controls the trainer when on the IDT else beeps and buzzes me when on the road running as the workout changes etc.

EDIT: Even if you do not have TP, Garmin connect have fairly decent training plans under garmin connect webpage/training/training plans for running/cycling and triathlons.  If you use one of the garmin plans in the garmin calendar it will also sync the workout straight to your device.  (although not sure if using the garmin plans will control your trainer).  Not used them myself, but am using for my other half for running

Edited by shaper

TP is just a workout calendar and post workout analysis tool, it does not have the function to control your trainer like TR does, so you have to export your workout to TR/Rouvy/Golden Cheetah to then use the software to control your smart trainer, as you are currently doing.

You can however, if you have a Garmin Edge device, use that to control your trainer instead of TR.

You autosync your TP workouts with your garmin calendar and device https://www.trainingpeaks.com/coach-blog/garmin-connect-autosync-integration/

You can then do the workout on your Edge device which can control the smart trainer https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=CHnxYj6F2OA6tN4QRRjEJ8

This is a possible option to save on paying for TR

Did not know this! Any idea if a kickr will also work with a fenix?

Did not know this! Any idea if a kickr will also work with a fenix?

From that DCRainmaker page:

"Here’s the listing of ANT+ FE-C compatible bike units.  Oddly there isn’t any Garmin wearables with that capability, though technically someone could create a Connect IQ app for such wearables and publish it – but nobody has done so to date unfortunately."

Oh but there is....someone went and wrote that APP. :https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/77e5d60e-77cf-46ef-a00c-3651e69ee11a

If the kids go to bed early enough tonight I will give it a try and will let you know...

"The BikeTrainer Application provides real-time data visualization and control of ANT+ FE-C compatible bike trainer. The data monitored are speed, distance, cadence, power, torque, and workout duration. The trainer device capabilities Basic Resistance and Target Power are controlled. The Simulation mode capability is not implemented.

At the end of the workout, the data can be saved to the connect.garmin.com."

• D2™ Bravo Titanium
  • D2™ Charlie
  • Descent™ Mk1
  • epix™
  • ForeAthlete® 230J
  • ForeAthlete® 235J
  • ForeAthlete® 630J
  • ForeAthlete® 735XTJ
  • ForeAthlete® 920XTJ
  • Forerunner® 230
  • Forerunner® 235
  • Forerunner® 630
  • Forerunner® 645
  • Forerunner® 645 Music
  • Forerunner® 735XT
  • Forerunner® 920XT
  • Forerunner® 935
  • fēnix® 3, quatix® 3, tactix® Bravo
  • fēnix® 3 HR
  • fēnix® 5, quatix® 5
  • fēnix® 5 Plus
  • vívoactive®

EDIT:Added BOLD for emphasis

Edited by Swift&Aero

From that DCRainmaker page:

"Here’s the listing of ANT+ FE-C compatible bike units.  Oddly there isn’t any Garmin wearables with that capability, though technically someone could create a Connect IQ app for such wearables and publish it – but nobody has done so to date unfortunately."

Oh but there is....someone went and wrote that APP. :https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/77e5d60e-77cf-46ef-a00c-3651e69ee11a

If the kids go to bed early enough tonight I will give it a try and will let you know...

SNIP

I got to testing it quickly last night but I couldn't get my Fenix 3 to see the trainer. I have some other things that I will try tonight to verify whether it works or not.

• 2 months later...

trainingpeaks premium

worth it or not?

I have a trainingplan (with coach) starting and it would be nice to track all the metrics on one platform.

* I'm aware of all the free alternatives, but the TP interface is very much user friendly and can track multisport a lot easier (again GC can too, but there's too much info on there for my small brain) 

trainingpeaks premium

worth it or not?

I have a trainingplan (with coach) starting and it would be nice to track all the metrics on one platform.

* I'm aware of all the free alternatives, but the TP interface is very much user friendly and can track multisport a lot easier (again GC can too, but there's too much info on there for my small brain) 

You should see WKO 5...........Way WAY too much info................

Overkill.

:mellow:

From trainingpeaks into Zwift was my default.

now its today;'s plan in zwift and Todays Plan autosync with garmin was well.

You should see WKO 5...........Way WAY too much info................

Overkill.

:mellow:

had a trial version of WKO4

as you say TMI

Problem is my deurmekaar metrics as I mainly train with HR (too poor for a PM)

Only way to track power is on the IDT (Tacx Neo)

Check out intervals.icu

Website developed by a local hubber, David. It has some really cool metrics on it and nothing too detailed.

All your rides just need to be on Strava for it to work.

Check out intervals.icu

Website developed by a local hubber, David. It has some really cool metrics on it and nothing too detailed.

All your rides just need to be on Strava for it to work.

doesn't track swimming and run data is iffy.