Thickness of trisuits padding

breaker

So at the registration for Slanghoek tri yesterday, I thought I'd have a look at the tri suits on offer.
 think it was only orca and first ascent available. What threw me a bit was that the padding was very thin and I could imagine even attempting a 20km plus ride in it.
So I asked the assistant what gives? She reckons for the longer distances, athletes change into "proper" cycling bib or shorts.
Now I would have thought the whole point of a trisuit was to avoid this. Also , I'm pretty sure I have not seen Richard Murray and co need to get out of there attire. 

Soooo is it just a case of HTFU on those thin padding? or is it something else like saddle etc?

breaker

i think it has more to do with a quick transition and the run after ..

can uimagine running with a thick 100km chamois between uur legs :eek: :eek:

breaker

i think it has more to do with a quick transition and the run after ..

can uimagine running with a thick 100km chamois between uur legs :eek: :eek:

Hey I'm not judging, some might prefer that :ph34r:  :D

Nope... Saddle and bike setup.

The 'chamois' in my tri suit is more of a frictionless coating than a pad and it seems to do me just fine for 180km...

If you train in it it will be just fine on race day.

If you get a quality pants/suit then thick padding is really not required. I have a 2XU short  thin padding and it is used for IM and other events to Olympic distance and never had an issue. Thickness is not an indication of comfort.    

what we loose in padding we spend a fortune on fancy tri saddles  :ph34r:

But in all honesty there is plenty of padding in a tri suit to be comfy enough for half and full distance.

I actually now look for cycling bibs with less padding as I find they chaff less and give less saddle sores

I actually find my tri suit more comfy than my cycling shorts even though the padding is thin!

I guess I'll just have to buy a pair and see, thanx for the comments everyone.
I'm currently using a cheapy Mr price sport cycling shorts to swim, cycle and run in.
It's been more than adequate except for the fact that I've somehow gotten little bigger around the waist area :blush: , hence me looking at the trisuits.

Padding is overrated :-)

http://lqvp4yw0ru-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/TT-Side-on.jpg

I was a bit thrown by how thin they are at first but they are really comfortable.

I can do some pretty long distances without any discomfort in the various ones I have.

I use my normal road bike setup for 70.3

Best shorts for me is the first accent tri shorts. Small little chamois with some baby bum cream, no issues.

No time to change kit the whole time

Is it only me or do these tri suits do a really bad job of hiding the crown jewels?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Archived