HUB Ethics : DIBS

Prince Albert Cycles

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my world... you call Dibs, you best follow it up with a whatsapp/dm/phone call etc asap... to make plans to finalize the sale. I don't mind holding an item for an evening or two for an obviously keen buyer. But you do get lots of trigger happy idiots though who call dibs on any bargain (often one they don't even need and then pull out of the deal a day later when you backup buyer has already bought something else)

And don't get me started on the guys who call dibs and then try lowball you on price  :cursing:

Like everything in life, treat people the way you would like to be treated  :thumbup:

Dibs means nothing. Even if you tell the seller you will be collecting it that same day, it means nothing. Someone offers more than the selling price and the seller will jump for more cash.

Cash is king, first one with the cash I say.

However it is unethical to sell something to someone when more is offered and you have a line of people wanting the item.

The message to take out of this is communication is key. I wait a few hours before replying to offers giving everybody a fair chance. Then the first most serious guys gets the item. However everybody knows that there are other interested parties involved.

My first bike I bought was via the Hub and in Stellenbosch. I live in Gauteng.

I pm'd the hubber saying I was interested, and explaining I don't have the full amount of cash available but if he hadn't received another offer I would like to pay a deposit to secure it and at the end of the month pay the difference.

This oke was cool with it, he let me know a few days later if I was still interested he'd accept my offer.

I paid 50% deposit and once I got my salary paid the difference and he then shipped it off.

Sometimes asking nicely and not being a tool is all that is required. But some okes sukkel with that

Lets talk about your hub advert (giving you a free bump here).

So will you give me first option, but I need till  tomorrow morning to decide? And if in them meantime another hubber offers you cash you will rather ditch my first option and take the cash ?

Because that speaks alot about morals and ethics.

If the seller says specifically you have first option, then they should stick to it.

If the buyer says dibs and the seller gets another buyer willing to pay cash right then and there, then I believe the seller is in "moral" right to sell it as they never agreed to dibs.

I'd like to think that the seller also gets some choice on who they sell it to.

Me personally I do the following:

I will check up on a hubbers rating before agreeing to a sale.

I will also give preference to people that are local as there is less risk in the sale - i.e they see the item before purchasing and there is no risk of it getting lost or damaged in the post / courier (how many threads on the hub have we seen around this!).

Think I'll add these to the ads in future to make sure people are aware.

Thanks Guys .

I am the OP on this thread.

I followed what I thought to be the ethical route and stayed away after I saw the dibs.

I was looking for a particular bike and size for years. The bike in the add was exactly that . When I saw 'dibs' I thought  I was too late.

As it happened I now got that bike because the dipper didnt buy .

If it was not  for the dibs the sale could have been concluded weeks ago.

And the seller may have lost a buyer .

After all this input I will in future not be put off by " dibs " and I gather it is now outlawed :D

Edited by kkkcycle

If the seller says specifically you have first option, then they should stick to it.

If the buyer says dibs and the seller gets another buyer willing to pay cash right then and there, then I believe the seller is in "moral" right to sell it as they never agreed to dibs.

:thumbup: :thumbup: communication rules

I'd like to think that the seller also gets some choice on who they sell it to.

Me personally I do the following:

I will check up on a hubbers rating before agreeing to a sale.

I will also give preference to people that are local as there is less risk in the sale - i.e they see the item before purchasing and there is no risk of it getting lost or damaged in the post / courier (how many threads on the hub have we seen around this!).

Think I'll add these to the ads in future to make sure people are aware.

Ja Ja - but you have 1000 posts ..... :ph34r:

Putting your phone number on the add is dangerous.

I have had people call me at 6 in the morning on a Sunday, 10pm at night on a weeknight or in the middle of the day when I am with clients and then get shirty with me because I didn't answer my phone.

Have the decency tocall before 20:00 and after 07:30 please. Or drop me a message/whattsapp during the day asking if you/I can call.

It boils down to manners. For some reason when money is involved people think that basic manners don't apply...

Buyer doesn't control the sale.

Seller controls the sale.

So seller gets to decide whether or not to accept dibs.

So if you see an ad where another buyer has called dibs and this hasn't been publicly corroborated by the seller, there's nothing stopping you from contacting the buyer to find out more.