Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Myles my sincere apologies for stating my opinion. You are the hubs resident know it all and it was silly of me to try and defend my opinion. After all, who am I to argue with an overweight wannabe downhiller who nearly finished the Argus that one time. Sorry again.

Too far mate, way too far.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not #bashthecapepicentryfee just putting it out there. If I had deep pockets I'd do the epic every year staying comfortably in one of those motor homes and a booked daily message. Jeez, I'll even pay Myles to coach me and ensure I have the correct bike set-up :thumbup:

And I'll point you towards Peach, Dan Dobinson, Julian Louw, Chris Nixon etc... :P

Too far mate, way too far.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Myles baited me, I retaliated. Easy as that. In the past now. I prefer to concentrate on the future.

I find I ride technical stuff better when I am fatigued. My over-cautious brain switches off, and my "I don't give a ****" attitude takes over ;)

Did you puke? You always enjoy a good purging of the tummy contents in the Baviaans.

How does Groenland & Haarkapper compare to the Witzenberg up and down on last years Epic Stage 2?

We rode down Witzenberg on Stage 2 in 2013. It was technical in parts, but with good lines and rather fast.

Haarkappers going up is almost completely rideable, although there are a few tricky sections that caused havoc as people stopped and caused a traffic jam. The descent was a "straight down the mountain" kind of descent. Hold on, hang over the back wheel, and scrub off speed where you can. Not particularly fun. (I did see a guy break his bars going down there, and probably fell 20m down the trail, end over end...)

Groenlandberg going up is a drag - goes on for ever, but it's not really that tough. Going down is fast, and technical. The first (half) downhill has a line but you have to focus. Often the line changes, or vanishes. The second descent is less steep, looser, and a bit faster, but, as is usually the case, people hang on their brakes too much.

Did you puke? You always enjoy a good purging of the tummy contents in the Baviaans.

Wasn't riding at that level. In fact, I ate so much I put on weight at the Epic!

Woolworths Jelly bears are delicious, and where have almond brittle bars been my whole life??

Wasn't riding at that level. In fact, I ate so much I put on weight at the Epic!

Woolworths Jelly bears are delicious, and where have almond brittle bars been my whole life??

:clap:

I find the same after I've had a couple cold ones. Liquid courage... 

Not all of us have that cavalier courage. If I did that I guarantee you a visit to Vergelegen will be on the horizon.

Loose rocky descents are still my nemesis, although I have learnt to ease up on the brakes a lot. Letting go of the levers completely, not yet.  :blush:

Edited by Moridin

Not all of us have that cavalier courage. If I did that I guarantee you a visit to Vergelegen will be on the horizon.

Loose rocky descents is still my nemesis, although I have learnt to ease up on the brakes a lot. Letting go of the levers completely, not yet.  :blush:

And then you get over that feature / section you've been beating yourself up about for the past 3 months, only to think WTF was I worried about!?

Loose rocky descents are still my nemesis, although I have learnt to ease up on the brakes a lot. Letting go of the levers completely, not yet.  :blush:

It's a tricky thing that you have to work on and be mindful of when riding.

What I've been working on recently is trying to either ease up or let go of the front brake when trying to turn at speed across a rocky or rooty section of trail. That way the front wheel only has to steer (grip) and not also brake.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

Armpies I am considering doing the epic next year. Would you be interested in running a skills clinic for me and vettie please? Will pay in pizza and tequila

Yes me too - and a fall always sets me back in my progress - I was getting nice and fast (by my standards) and then my front wheel washed out and now I'm having to gradually relearn to trust the bike and the trail. A new tyre is helping in this regard.

It's a tricky thing that you have to work on and be mindful of when riding.

What I've been working on recently is trying to either ease up or let go of the front brake when trying to turn at speed across a rocky or rooty section of trail. That way the front wheel only has to steer (grip) and not also brake.

Armpies I am considering doing the epic next year. Would you be interested in running a skills clinic for me and vettie please? Will pay in pizza and tequila

julle manne soek om ged@nner te word............ :w00t: