Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

Thanks Buff, nice work; I reckon you did well on a 690. I chatted to a guy who did some camera cartage a few years ago on a GS 1200 and he suffered.

Thanks  :thumbup:  I did part of it on my 1200 Super Tenere a few years ago and it wasn't too much fun either, especially when your camera man insists on sitting side saddle :eek: .

Barreling down single track with a 300kg bike with close to 200kgs on-board behind a bunch of cyclists is pretty hair raising. I had visions of one of them wiping out and me using them for braking traction :wacko: First gear is also too long so you can't go slow enough to track riders on the climbs without destroying your clutch.

The 690 is much lighter and more maneuverable and you can sprocket it down up front to manage the climbs at crawling speeds. It's still challenging on the rocky stuff though because on the climbs the front gets really light and bounces off rocks instead of tracking over them. The biggest challenge on the downhills is going the speed of the bunch you're in without ejecting your camera man over your head on the contour jumps or erosion ruts. Cyclists can bunny hop them or jump them but we have to hit them head on at speed... it can get sketchy at times :w00t: 

Still a great way to spend a week off work and awesome to watch the race dynamics unfolding up front. The guys riding lead camera up front in the mens & ladies field are simply in a different league regarding their skill set, I have huge respect for them :thumbup:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks  :thumbup:  I did part of it on my 1200 Super Tenere a few years ago and it wasn't too much fun either, especially when your camera man insists on sitting side saddle :eek: .

Barreling down single track with a 300kg bike with close to 200kgs on-board behind a bunch of cyclists is pretty hair raising. I had visions of one of them wiping out and me using them for braking traction :wacko: First gear is also too long so you can't go slow enough to track riders on the climbs without destroying your clutch.

The 690 is much lighter and more maneuverable and you can sprocket it down up front to manage the climbs at crawling speeds. It's still challenging on the rocky stuff though because on the climbs the front gets really light and bounces off rocks instead of tracking over them. The biggest challenge on the downhills is going the speed of the bunch you're in without ejecting your camera man over your head on the contour jumps or erosion ruts. Cyclists can bunny hop them or jump them but we have to hit them head on at speed... it can get sketchy at times :w00t:

Still a great way to spend a week off work and awesome to watch the race dynamics unfolding up front. The guys riding lead camera up front in the mens & ladies field are simply in a different league regarding their skill set, I have huge respect for them :thumbup:

I would definitely suggest a skills clinic. You cant just power through everything.

Also have a look at your suspensions, proper setup done?

Tyre choice also not right, lighter not always better

:ph34r:

Just curious, but are Strava uploads of the Epic route still not allowed?

I see rule 13.7 is still on the website.

There are lots of riders that have definitely uploaded their Epic rides to Strava.

I would definitely suggest a skills clinic. You cant just power through everything.

Also have a look at your suspensions, proper setup done?

Tyre choice also not right, lighter not always better

:ph34r:

Sounds more like his bars aren't wide enough

Which way is the rear shock orientated?

:devil:

There are lots of riders that have definitely uploaded their Epic rides to Strava.

Still not allowed, in the past I know of people who posted their rides who were asked by organisers to remove their rides after the race. It might take a while because I guess policing strava not the highest thing on organisers to-do list

Still not allowed, in the past I know of people who posted their rides who were asked by organisers to remove their rides after the race. It might take a while because I guess policing strava not the highest thing on organisers to-do list

Cool, thanks. Just noticed loads of new riders on my regular segments :) And also routes that are not open to the public.

I have been asked to remove rides - just mark them as private and the organisers are out your hair.

As to why people show up on segments - it's about when the upload is done - if before marking private then it appears - but you can't see the ride. Strava does allow you to upload rides as private (it's a setting) and then you don't appear.

I've lost a KOM to someone riding the Epic. His time kicked mine in the teeth do hard that he can keep it. I am not worthy of that KOM anymore.

Did anyone else notice what Cadel was eating for breakfast in one of those clips?

It looked like a big pile of rice with sliced Avo on top all covered in a squirt of honey?

Did anyone else notice what Cadel was eating for breakfast in one of those clips?

It looked like a big pile of rice with sliced Avo on top all covered in a squirt of honey?

Ja.. I saw and still thought..eeew

Apparently 1 of the better pre race meals are rice and egg white omelette. Once read a article on Cavendish swearing by this as well

Apparently 1 of the better pre race meals are rice and egg white omelette. Once read a article on Cavendish swearing by this as well

Looking at how he looked beginning this year he might've had too much [emoji1]