Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me assure you that the tech skills requirements of an epic are higher than any other mtb race in Sa that is not DH or enduro - go and ride up and down groenlandberg from both sides and you will be partly enlightened... then do it at race speeds....

The final decent on day 1 was also interesting - loose rough rocky narrow and steep... and sustained.... oh - and it was HOT too.

Nothing on w2w is in that league - I will guarantee that.

One of the changes I made this year was to run a Knobby Nic on the front... in place of a roro- best move ever having it on.

Downhills on Groenland and Haarkapper, OM.W!!!! Almost snapped my neck off there..

How does Groenland & Haarkapper compare to the Witzenberg up and down on last years Epic Stage 2?

How does Groenland & Haarkapper compare to the Witzenberg up and down on last years Epic Stage 2?

Haarkapper downhill was probably a touch trickier because of the trail conditions- the uphill also - I rode the entire up and down last year but this year going up Haarkapper meant a walk at the top- some of it traffic and some of it tech - at some point it's less effort to hike. Going down was rideable all the way but I wished it would end a lot earlier than it did... and a lot of riders did the sensible thing and push some of the downhill sections. Mostly they accommodate riders passing quite well.

...and that now excludes daily bike wash, that's extra...

If they are still using high pressure hoses then it's not a bad thing.

Mate of mine had his Reba sieze on epic last year. When the SRAM guys opened it up water poured out of it. It was blasted past the seals into the fork in the bike wash.

No ??

I was never on the bashthecapepicentryfee bandwagon but if that's correct then it's a ripoff..... word will spread and the epics reign will end for sure if that's the direction they moving

No ??

I was never on the bashthecapepicentryfee bandwagon but if that's correct then it's a ripoff..... word will spread and the epics reign will end for sure if that's the direction they moving

Wait until the Portaloos become 'pay as you go'...

Wait until the Portaloos become 'pay as you go'...

I can just see this thread by the end of today.... weigh your food and pay by the gram.....

Just speaking of the cuff here but I remember that Pragma who did the bike washes few years back had to pay the event for the privilege to do the "free" bike washes for the Epic riders.

So this is not a cost that organisers had to budget for. Maybe they didn't manage to find a sucker willing to do this next year which is why riders now have to pay for this?

I can just see this thread by the end of today.... weigh your food and pay by the gram.....

That's better than jet wash in place of bog roll... #keepingperspective

Haha

3 times completed. 2008/2009/2010. 2012 was on my giant reign x with 180mm travel and I pulled out at 75km due to knee issues.

Wannabe downhiller? No. I just enjoy riding my bike. And very perceptive of you to notice I'm overweight. Never would have said so. Hmm. Maybe I should start watching more or what I eat and try lose a few kilos? Oh. Wait. No, not losing as fast as I'd want, but slow and steady wins the race, eh?

You (and coppi) "defended" your opinions by attacking me personally. It's a common technique these days, sadly. Ad hominem attacks really do not add anything to the debate, and all I was commenting on was the dire need for Technical skills training & Proper Suspension setup Instead of just miles in the saddle on local district roads. The need for which, by the way, was made clear by that vid of people going over the bars on a VERY simple tabletop jump. Then an ACTUAL downhiller and skills coach went to help riders set up their suspension, based on his viewing of the Prologue and st1. Funny, that.

My comments on tyre durability also stand. I would not decide to ride the epic and then skimp on tyre strength. It's the bike's sole contact patch and is required to go through an enormous amount of mileage in such a short time.

In your opinion, I am not qualified to cast comment on how people need to prep for things like this, or how people should set up their suspension properly or go for skills classes in order to minimise the chance of coming off on a very simple feature. I must just "respect them" and shut up because I'm not worthy.

I say bollocks to that. I can do both. I can respect the utter dedication that it takes to even think of completing the race, whilst at the same time wondering why, when they put in all the hours to prep for it, they do not go for complementary skills classes or work on their single-track form. Or set up their bike for anything other than gravel roads. Or choose slightly burlier tyre casings, when they're going through terrain that would cut you faster than you can say "immature personal attacks"

Oh. For the record. I only seem to "know it all" because I like investigating things that I do not understand, and I tend to google a lot. If people ask a question that pertains to one of my interests, I try as best k can to answer within my abilities. And if my abilities fall short, I read more on the subject in order to better understand it. Nothing ground breaking.

Nicely and maturely handled Sir. I always enjoy your comments and have learned a lot from you - even in this thread. Tx

Now if you can just stick to that bloody diet!  :ph34r:

No ??

Not #bashthecapepicentryfee just putting it out there. If I had deep pockets I'd do the epic every year staying comfortably in one of those motor homes and a booked daily message. Jeez, I'll even pay Myles to coach me and ensure I have the correct bike set-up :thumbup:

If they are still using high pressure hoses then it's not a bad thing.

Mate of mine had his Reba sieze on epic last year. When the SRAM guys opened it up water poured out of it. It was blasted past the seals into the fork in the bike wash.

Nobody touches my bike. I prefer to wash and service it myself.  I have learnt a few lessons along the way. I now don't wash my bike with Clean Green anymore, I prefer Car Shampoo with Wax additive.  The Clean Green goes into the pivot bearings and washes the grease out.