Review: Scott Spark 940

Nick

What is Scott South Africa's global market share ?

Isn't the bike designed for the global ( US / EU ) trends in riding style ?

Most people will use this bike for a weekend Marathon / half marathon bike with a odd visit to a bike park

Most riders have average skills ( compared to European riders )

On local stage races a "" normal / Traditional "' duel sus is more than adequate .

Huge heavier tyres on skinny rims .... ??? I prefer my lighter / efficient Onza or Ikon tyres on my wider MC Wide Lightning rims

Dropper seatpost .... ??? nice but how often does our "' local "" riding style justify that ?

I've been riding my Tallboy or Vipa on a huge variety of trails and conditions over years and still ponders if it's worth while

All of your points (apart from the wider rims - that would have been nice) are reasons why this bike exists. It's better for Joe average, cos the more relaxed head angle inspires confidence. It's got a dropper, because they're awesome. It's got heavy tires cos they are better suited to general riding than weight weenie single ply POS's.

Racing xc bikes should only be for RACERS at the pointy end

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of your points (apart from the wider rims - that would have been nice) are reasons why this bike exists. It's better for Joe average, cos the more relaxed head angle inspires confidence. It's got a dropper, because they're awesome. It's got heavy tires cos they are better suited to general riding than weight weenie single ply POS's.

Precisely!

Previously, I would agree.

But the new breed of XC race bikes are becoming far more trail friendly. The geometry of the Spark RC and even the new Scalpel-Si are good examples.

But the new breed of XC race bikes are becoming far more trail friendly. The geometry of the Spark RC and even the new Scalpel-Si are good examples.

Yep, things are definitely looking better... I wonder what the new Anthem 27.5 trail/XC bike will be like? 

I ran into a shop the other day to have a look at this, the Scott Scale 940 is excessively heavy... I'n not a someone that will buy a carbon seat clamp to save 1g, but this bike still felt very heavy... think the dropper adds quite a bit.... or maybe to much sealant...

Very true

Cockpit: Considering the aggressive frame geometry, I would have expected something a bit wider than the 740 mm handlebars on the large frame, as they can always be cut down to the rider’s preference. The 70 mm stem is a good middle ground and can easily be swapped out to meet the riders preferred length.

No mention of all those cables and levers?

Must be a pretty busy cockpit with;

L+R brake levers

F+R shifters

Dropper post lever

F+R twin-lockout lever.

I test rode the previous spark 940 which was fine, but it didn't have the extra dropper lever+cable. How's the layout and its operation?

And I enjoy riding a racing bike even though I do not race, I wont like to ride this Scott xc/trail bike, it will feel too slow and heavy for me.

Edited by I act like a pro racer

And I enjoy riding a racing bike even though I do not race, I wont like to ride this Scott xc/trail bike, it will feel too slow and heavy for me.

And you base that on....?

And you base that on....?

The over 13kg weight, 14kg ride ready. Pro racers wont touch anything over 10.5kg ride ready, and I am trying to act like one.

If tou look like a Whippet and climb like a pro the 10 kilo bike isgreat. If on the other hand you look likeyour wife understands her kitchen, something heavier but more comfortable just works a lot better. I ride a 2016 Spez Camber Comp, which if memory serves weighs 13,4 kg with a cage and some spd pedals, and you know what, I have never found a hill where stronger legs with my bike wouldn't climb better than my legs and a 500g lighter bike.

Agreed people should ride whatever they want to but bike shops should be dissuaded from selling skittish xc weapons to average Joe public. This is the perfect type of bike for the majority of riders out there just enjoying themselves.

Look at the pyga 110, it is heavy but when you ride it you forget the weight because it just rides so well. You end up spending a lot more time on it because it's not trying to kill you.