The Classics

'Dale

My boys in blue were nowhere, but hats off to mvdp. He was the smartest racer out there today, and that is what will eat at Pog. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mathieu’s record in RvV - 4-1-2-1, wow.

Pogačar shows that he is human after all and showed disappointment in a way never seen before in public. He has such high standards and is as courageous as a tiger. His capabilities over the ultra long stages and cobbled surfaces is remarkable.

Dylan van Baarle - always followed him a bit since his time with Argyle socks on a Cannondale. Had a good sniff at top spot with all the drama of the final 400 metres. Great ride.

Eina, tough stuff for Asgreen. The Steppers will be feeling the dragon’s breath of Patrick as he is likely feeling the pressure of a tough Spring thus far.

Just got back from 4 days work and now to watch the final 2 hrs over a deep caffeine brew tomorrow morning. Gotta love the Spring classics! 

Edited by 'Dale

9 hours ago, 'Dale said:

What a ride by one of the most versatile bike riders, alongside Wout, Pidcock and Mathieu. Winning all the Monuments seem to be the ultimate plan while wearing the Golden Fleece on the Parisian pavè for as many seasons as possible.

Wonder what Wout was thinking from his coach, sipping on his beer, as that finalè played out. 

Pretty sure Wout was thinking ride hard to the line Tadej because even I couldn’t outsprint Mvdp on that finish 

I love how MVDP said Pog was the best guy out there and admitted to the elastic almost snapping ….

imagine having such high standards that coming 4th in your first attempt leaves you angry - Wouldn’t want to line up against Tadej next time out, he’s going to want redemption and vengeance 

I think was more angry with himself in not being decisive enough to  take control of the controlling position. Instead he let MvdP outfox hIm, and he then never go to attempt a sprint and came 4th, the worst outcome he could imagine I guess. If Tadej  had gone with 500m to go it might have been a different outcome 

35 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I think was more angry with himself in not being decisive enough to  take control of the controlling position. Instead he let MvdP outfox hIm, and he then never go to attempt a sprint and came 4th, the worst outcome he could imagine I guess. If Tadej  had gone with 500m to go it might have been a different outcome 

The way I saw that race was that MVDP raced strong and smart, while Pog raced strong but naively. If van Baarle and Madouas hadn't pitched up, we'd be having a different conversation, but really, I don't think we'd be talking about a different winner.

The commentators said it - Pog has a very decent sprint - against climbers, so really, a big fishie in a small pond. MVDP has proved it time and time again that he's the biggest fishie in the biggest pond.

They said the extra distance of RVV could prove a problem for MVDP, as it did last year. compared to say, Asgreen, who seems to thrive on it (again, last year). That extra distance could also prove a hindrance to Pog, who has a beast of and ITT, but after 250km, everything is compromised, even for such a rider as he.

One thing we know, MVDP dumps 1200w after >250km, so that's the yardstick fellas... Match that, bring your racing smarts and you're in the game

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

The way I saw that race was that MVDP raced strong and smart, while Pog raced strong but naively. If van Baarle and Madouas hadn't pitched up, we'd be having a different conversation, but really, I don't think we'd be talking about a different winner.

The commentators said it - Pog has a very decent sprint - against climbers, so really, a big fishie in a small pond. MVDP has proved it time and time again that he's the biggest fishie in the biggest pond.

They said the extra distance of RVV could prove a problem for MVDP, as it did last year. compared to say, Asgreen, who seems to thrive on it (again, last year). That extra distance could also prove a hindrance to Pog, who has a beast of and ITT, but after 250km, everything is compromised, even for such a rider as he.

One thing we know, MVDP dumps 1200w after >250km, so that's the yardstick fellas... Match that, bring your racing smarts and you're in the game

Agree 100% except it was 1406W 

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/04/big-numbers-mathieu-van-der-poels-strava-file-with-power/

Easy from the comfort of the couch..... but I think Pog had to try and soften MvP up with a couple of mini-attacks in the final 5km and then try and jump him by going long. Saying that, brilliant work by MvP backing himself and taking the win! 

31 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Like cheetahs 

@jeredgruber

AC8B4885-8F63-480A-9F48-524851F6CCEF.jpeg

So much going in in that picture.
Moody clouds, riders in the pain cave, mad supporter. Awesome composition.
Love it!

22 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Saving Belgium, so to speak, on the biggest race of their calendar. What a run of form for the Belgian jersey, running tubbies, aluminium bars and a TT saddle.

spacer.png

after a stonking win at Strade and now Flanders... Kopecky is the real deal. SD Worx are a formidable team

Pog was looking at probable second place from when vdP managed to hang on on the last climb. I dont think he would have been able to drop him on the flat run to the finish. Imo he got his sprint timing wrong by a fraction, but it looked like a win for vdP the moment he opened up with 250m to go on the top view.

44 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Can almost boil a kettle with these watts

B70D9561-4FA1-413B-ACBB-78D7C2B580E1.jpeg

you mean boiling the ACTUAL kettle!!

the man's a beast of note. after watching him power up impossibly muddy and impossibly steep slopes in CX, how are we surprised by this? his ability to recover must be off the charts. that or he has incredibly deep reserves. but probably both.