The Classics

'Dale

Even Moto GP winners make sure that they follow the most exciting racing on a given weekend...

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a race. Glad MVDP won, but it's become clear that the cycling world now has a cannibal 2.0. Has any GC rider since Merckx wanted to (and been able to) win every race they start, instead of targeting one or two one-dayers while generally saving their legs for their preferred Grand Tour ?

1 minute ago, NickGM said:

What a race. Glad MVDP won, but it's become clear that the cycling world now has a cannibal 2.0. Has any GC rider since Merckx wanted to (and been able to) win every race they start, instead of targeting one or two one-dayers while generally saving their legs for their preferred Grand Tour ?

yeah, we know the answer to that one. it's a big, fat N O.

Funny you mention Merckx - they had some old footage of one of the last climbs of Flanders with Merckx pushing. Goes without saying the bikes were different in those days, as was the actual racing.

The thing about Merckx is that he'd just sail of into the distance and win by embarrassing margins, making the peloton look silly and slow. Racing today is very different. Eventually it got to a point where he got booed. The fans didn't appreciate his dominance, though they marveled at first. Let's see how the Pog story plays out. Too early right now.

Oh, and Merckx was done for doping three times

2 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

yeah, we know the answer to that one. it's a big, fat N O.

Funny you mention Merckx - they had some old footage of one of the last climbs of Flanders with Merckx pushing. Goes without saying the bikes were different in those days, as was the actual racing.

The thing about Merckx is that he'd just sail of into the distance and win by embarrassing margins, making the peloton look silly and slow. Racing today is very different. Eventually it got to a point where he got booed. The fans didn't appreciate his dominance, though they marveled at first. Let's see how the Pog story plays out. Too early right now.

Oh, and Merckx was done for doping three times

Oh I'm sure they were all indulging in "La bomba" in Merckx's era. Coppi openly admitted it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fausto_Coppi#Doping) because it was almost expected of cyclists (Same with Anquetil) , but by Merckx's era it had become secretive and shameful to do the same thing. Anyway, that's not really what this thread is about. Although seeing those guys slug it out yesterday may me realize that I do still watch with one eyebrow raised because of what they are able to do over 280km.

34 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Oh I'm sure they were all indulging in "La bomba" in Merckx's era. Coppi openly admitted it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fausto_Coppi#Doping) because it was almost expected of cyclists (Same with Anquetil) , but by Merckx's era it had become secretive and shameful to do the same thing. Anyway, that's not really what this thread is about. Although seeing those guys slug it out yesterday may me realize that I do still watch with one eyebrow raised because of what they are able to do over 280km.

Put the eyebrow down, stop thinking about it and just enjoy the racing.

Sport is entertainment, so appreciate the entertainment! If it comes to pass that some of them are naughty, so be it. I am mightily entertained.

Throw WvA, Hirschi and the Rainbow bands in there and racing is in good hands for a while

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Put the eyebrow down, stop thinking about it and just enjoy the racing.

Sport is entertainment, so appreciate the entertainment! If it comes to pass that some of them are naughty, so be it. I am mightily entertained.

Throw WvA, Hirschi and the Rainbow bands in there and racing is in good hands for a while

For sure, I'm actually watching/following now more than ever. I was riveted on sunday and for the most part I think the best guys are still winning, regardless of what they choose to have for breakfast.

But if it all turns to BS, I will defer to Bill Burr:

Our roided-up guy beat your roided-up guy.

I've watched this so many times and I still LOL when he gets to the Oprah part.

4 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Even Moto GP winners make sure that they follow the most exciting racing on a given weekend...

Alex lives in Andorra and rides with many of the Pro's living there. He is not *** on a bike either. 

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

And somewhere near an old mining town that has a forest called Arenberg near its railway lines, hehehe

A158011F-9577-4421-8B0C-BC8A0CE5EF42.jpeg

Just over an hour’s drive from Oudenarde

5 hours ago, NickGM said:

Hinault and LeMond were the last with the ability to win one day races and Grand Tours. After them the pharmacists took over followed by the  caravaners

11 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Alex lives in Andorra and rides with many of the Pro's living there. He is not *** on a bike either. 

Alex have an impressive bike collection!

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Alex have an impressive bike collection!

I digress even more; wasn't it Aleix who, some time ago, messed his face up in a bike accident and had considered becoming a pro cyclist?  Not so much Michael v d Mark from WSBK who wrecked himself properly on a mountain bike; lost of external hardware and can't join his team for the first race.