The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing then there goes the Italian Classics...

I think they will wait until the last possible moment in the hope that things improve before a call is made to cancel.

RCS saying that they expect the races to be cancelled, according to Cycling News.

Italy has just closed schools and universities for two weeks.

They may as well fly to Cape Town for the Cycle Tour.

Is it UCI sanctioned?  Thought there was a problem a few years ago with pro's riding it

Is it UCI sanctioned? Thought there was a problem a few years ago with pro's riding it

Its not hard to do if enough WT pros. The juniors just get bleak.

Initial response to an event we been looking forward to being cancelled easily one of frustration or disappointment. However , that’s decidedly the wrong response. We should actually be saying, great news, the sporting feds and governments are doing the right thing by cancellations and precautions. 
Likely every one of us at some point will be affected directly or indirectly by this thing. 

So, no whining from anyone about a canceled race , or event , or marathon , or meeting , or holiday, or Sunday Braai.

Initial response to an event we been looking forward to being cancelled easily one of frustration or disappointment. However , that’s decidedly the wrong response. We should actually be saying, great news, the sporting feds and governments are doing the right thing by cancellations and precautions.

Likely every one of us at some point will be affected directly or indirectly by this thing.

So, no whining from anyone about a canceled race , or event , or marathon , or meeting , or holiday, or Sunday Braai.

You had me until you cancelled the Sunday braai

Press Release from Mitchelton-SCOTT:

Following extensive discussions, Mitchelton-SCOTT has made the decision to withdraw its teams from the next period of racing, regardless of the individual Government Regulations in place.

The current period of consideration will run from 04/03/2020 to 22/03/2020 and will include the following races:
  • Strade Bianche (men and women)
  • GP Industria (men)
  • Paris-Nice (men)
  • Tirreno-Adriatico (men)
  • Ronde van Drenthe (women)
  • Danilith Nokere Koerse (women)
  • Milan-SanRemo (men)
  • Trofeo Alfredo Binda (women)
The UCI and these races have each been notified of the decision. During this period, the situation will be closely monitored and decisions for the following period will be made.

The main reasons for these withdrawals are listed below:
  • We, as Team Doctors and the wider team, have a duty of care to protect health and wellbeing of all our riders and staff.  We will not have any input into, or control over, the measures that race organisers may or may not put in place to manage the COVID-19 risks. 
  • We are a moving, international logistical puzzle, with staff and riders travelling between different countries with different health systems and strategies around COVID-19.  Constant travel will increase the health risks and make management of logistics, potential quarantine periods, etc, extremely difficult.
  • To withdraw any additional impact we as a team, either via illness or injury, may put on national and international health systems and hospitals.

Whilst we have put in all the preparations and are eager to race, as an organisation we believe this is the best way to ensure we adhere to our duty of care to riders and staff, before returning to business as usual as soon as possible.

Guys, its not a joke here. There is alot of going ons about this virus and cycling races in general. It could be far reaching.

Good luck mate. We all have no idea what is coming for us. Let's all just make the best of what happens next.

Has a final decision by the Italy health fed(or whatever they are officially called) been made yet?

Nevermind just saw it...

[emoji211][emoji211]

Italian Government just announced in press conference the new COVID decree measures. All sports events are suspended for 30 days and can only be done behind closed doors if in closed structures. Decree will be signed tonight and measures will be effective until April 3.

UPDATE: decree text reports that sports (non professional) in the opening spaces can be done if respects the base sanitary procedures. (Hand washing spaces, 1m between people etc...)

Think I will wait for an official statement.. cause people using google translate to "report" aren't helping with clarity .

Edited by Gen

Good luck mate. We all have no idea what is coming for us. Let's all just make the best of what happens next.

You are very correct in terms of what is coming. It is what it is but as you said, make the best of it and respect all and any decisions made. 

A good number of teams are out of racing until what looks like Catalunya. 

Edited by J Wakefield

Not a classic and in a different country but wonder if Paris Nice will still go ahead

Edited by Fond_TF2

Following the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers of 04/03/2020, RCS Sport announces that, regarding #StradeBianche and Strade Bianche Women Elite, will communicate the updates in the coming days, following the meetings with the appropriate authorities.