Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a somewhat different note:

We came across two SANParks rangers (Peter and David) up near the top of Boulders and they were looking for a cyclist that crashed and was hurt on level 5. They couldn't find him because he started making his way down the mountain under his own steam. When they finally located the guy, he was rude and gave them lip, I cannot imagine why!

So, rude dude, if you read this, know that Beattbox and I apologised on your behalf and that we wish you a puncture-a-ride until you learn manners!

These two gentlemen gave up their Sunday, which they could have spent braaing with their families, to be on standby to fetch injured mountain bikers like you. They spent a lot of time driving to try and locate you. The least you could have done was to be grateful and gracious about it! 

To Peter and David: There are many of us who thank you and know that you are the real guardian angels (from someone who himself needed help getting off the mountain in a broken state.)

We came across two SANParks rangers (Peter and David) up near the top of Boulders and they were looking for a cyclist that crashed and was hurt on level 5. They couldn't find him because he started making his way down the mountain under his own steam. When they finally located the guy, he was rude and gave them lip, I cannot imagine why!

So, rude dude, if you read this, know that Beattbox and I apologised on your behalf and that we wish you a puncture-a-ride until you learn manners!

These two gentlemen gave up their Sunday, which they could have spent braaing with their families, to be on standby to fetch injured mountain bikers like you. They spent a lot of time driving to try and locate you. The least you could have done was to be grateful and gracious about it! 

To Peter and David: There are many of us who thank you and know that you are the real guardian angels (from someone who himself needed help getting off the mountain in a broken state.)

i think Rude Dude and that intellectual that is The Glen trail saboteur, should both get signed up by Sanparks for 30 days of trail maintenance duty until they learn some manners. ok, maybe less days for Rude Dude, but that other character needs to get the full build treatment. 

Edited by Capricorn

Was this guy riding a spez with a busted rear wheel ? saw someone matching that description walking down from level 5, spotted him having a chat with the rangers at the gate by the manor house later on.

Was this guy riding a spez with a busted rear wheel ? saw someone matching that description walking down from level 5, spotted him having a chat with the rangers at the gate by the manor house later on.

I don't know.

Capricorn - The Glen trail saboteur

Please inform - who what where why ??

Unsure yet, been reported and spread on Facebook with a photo of the perp. Mountain bikers do it downhill is the FB group. There and many more now. Originally shared by Marc De Decker, iirc

Capricorn - The Glen trail saboteur

Please inform - who what where why ??

This character allegedly caught in the act. Comments of FB suggest this is not the first time. Probably will claim he didn't get the memo... :whistling:

15355563_10154356405434751_6852214993750

Edited by Capricorn

I like that the parking is now at the pay point and in the fenced picnic area. We'll see fewer break ins in future. 

The "elevator" climb at the start wasn't too bad, we must be fitter than we thought. Rode up Puffadder (much nicer than before with the extra switchback), up Boulders (similar to before but now with a great view of False Bay and the wine farms). Then down the Snake Trails. Wow, Mamba and Cobra now flows like never before. Lovely little berms, bumps, jumps with a rock garden or two thrown in. Wow. Snake eyes much as before, Vasbyt much as before but with a few new berms making it sweeter than ever. Flowers out everywhere. Fantastic, have I said that already?

It is great to be back! Thanks to all the volunteers, Deon, Mark, Tokai MTB committee, AmaRider, PPA and SANParks for making this happen. I was getting a bit desperate and I wanted this place open long ago, but in retrospect, I think it was a good thing that the builders could finish their work before opening it. 

I rode to Tokai and back via the greenbelts, rode all of the above and even squeezed in the switchbacks/Bridal Path as well. All of it was awesome!

So great to be back there again, and I cant wait to see what else is coming our way. Very excited by the whole thing.

It was great to meet Deon at the gate before I went up.

Myles - I hope you are back on the bike soon. Good to see you too.

Thanks to all the people involved. A lot of hard work has been done for us to enjoy the mountain and trails again.

Awesome!  :thumbup:

sorry, don't do face book. ..what exactly was this guy doing?

As an individual contributor; facilitating lack of cycling access to legit cycling trails.

Edited by Capricorn

As an individual contributor; facilitating lack of cycling access to legit cycling trails.

only slightly cryptic note. ....was he blocking up or breaking signs or trails?

only slightly cryptic note. ....was he blocking up or breaking signs or trails?

Believe he was "sabotaging" the trails by placing obstacles (dunno what though) in the trails.

Was caught by a foreign visitor who photographed him and reported it to authorities.

That's all I could gleam from a FB post.

Believe he was "sabotaging" the trails by placing obstacles (dunno what though) in the trails.

Was caught by a foreign visitor who photographed him and reported it to authorities.

That's all I could gleam from a FB post.

Table Mountain Bikers are also reporting that up to ten cycling markers/signs have been removed or broken.

Possibly unrelated to this guy but it shows the level of selfishness some people are capable of.

So good to be back in Tokai...trails are sick....well done everyone involved in the re-build!!!

That's some seriously stabilized footage!