Need advice! Getting screwed by local hubber

Tom wells

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai tog. If the buyer only stuck to Rouxtjie's rule of a 1000 posts.

With 15 posts of which at least 10 on this thread i doubt he knew the rules. Although a member since 2011..

OP:

As long as she's not married let her screw to your hearts content.

If she is married the same rule applies except don't let her husband find out

Ya. i didn't say he defamed me ( on this site ).. He did however in the whatsapp messages accuse me of cheating him and shafting him.. If thats what you mean? Anyway, as said before if he had let me know within the same frame period of receiving the wheels that they were not right then i could possibly have stopped the seller from spending the money.. but almost 3 weeks later if the money is spent then what can be done.. If neither the seller nor myself have the cash to solve this problem then what..? No one on this site knows what any other person's personal circumstances are so its quite easy for a guy with big pockets to say, just pay the buyer back its not his problem.. So i'm open to suggestions to resolving this issue so we can all be happy.. 

1 Buy back the wheels.

2 pay for A new freehub

3 Pay to have the current freehub machined

It all comes down to you or the seller HAVING to resolve the issue for the buyer.

..If neither the seller nor myself have the cash to solve this problem then what..? No one on this site knows what any other person's personal circumstances are so its quite easy for a guy with big pockets to say, just pay the buyer back its not his problem.

Your post makes me so angry.It's about integrity. If your "friend" has any, he'll come to the party.

What's this 'big pocket' BS? There are enough solutions mentioned. Pick one that doesn't involve the buyer 'just sucking it up'.

1 Buy back the wheels.

2 pay for A new freehub

3 Pay to have the current freehub machined

It all comes down to you or the seller HAVING to resolve the issue for the buyer.

Can anyone please give me a guideline for the costs involved in getting a hub that will work or the costs on machining?? I'm certain with the help of some fellow hubbers we can sort this out. Unfortunately my buddy is not a hubber... . 

I've heard machining costs under R500.. A good condition second hand freehub that will work? ( Cost anyone? )

Would be much appreciated.

I know this might be against the general trend here, and the sellers are definitely wrong right now, but...

One, if it was an honest mistake with some strange circumstances, I get it. I've made the same myself with one or two parts sold, hell, I once made one guy meet up in person to view a cassette which I thought was 11-25, but was actually 11-23. Here's where I disagree - the buyer made the effort to inspect, and the reject the item. I felt ashamed, apologised profusely, and changed the ad. Cassette sold a few days later.

Now, I disagree because in this instance, I think the buyer is as much to blame as the seller. Why? Because who in their right mind buys something, and then does not immediately inspect them. I don't care who you are, it's not normal. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to hang on to cash from a sale for too long - personally, I keep it aside for 7 days after delivery of an item in case of a change of mind or a mistake on my part - and after three weeks, I would definitely spend the cash.

I think as a buyer you have some responsibility to inspect your items immediately, otherwise you have to shoulder the blame, as you have lost the ability to prove a defect was there.

Honestly, I think the OP should chalk it up to schoolfees. He has a range of options on those fees, from cheap to relativelh expensive, but he should be okay. 4200 for ten speed carbon tabbies is a pretty fair price, and they're not no name either so really, if you have to spend a couple Hondos more to fit your cassettes, just do it and move on with your life.

And for the seller, you've learned that you really need to be absolutely 100% sure of your facts next time. Ignorance is not a valid excuse. If you and your friend have some conscience, I would ask the buyer to get a quote on the machining, and offer to cover part or all of the costs, but in all honesty I think the buyer needs to shoulder some blame here.

Hell, I've sold 11 speed wheels where I had to meet the buyer at a bike shop so he could get their mechanic to fit the cassette to check. Sounds hectic, but youre buying second hand, so you do what you can to reduce the risk that in inherent with a used item sale.

Flame on.

Had they been clinchers I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat ,

but now its all about damage control ... I for one would have had everything tested and fitted immediately . not wait for end of days :eek:

I know this might be against the general trend here, and the sellers are definitely wrong right now, but...

One, if it was an honest mistake with some strange circumstances, I get it. I've made the same myself with one or two parts sold, hell, I once made one guy meet up in person to view a cassette which I thought was 11-25, but was actually 11-23. Here's where I disagree - the buyer made the effort to inspect, and the reject the item. I felt ashamed, apologised profusely, and changed the ad. Cassette sold a few days later.

Now, I disagree because in this instance, I think the buyer is as much to blame as the seller. Why? Because who in their right mind buys something, and then does not immediately inspect them. I don't care who you are, it's not normal. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to hang on to cash from a sale for too long - personally, I keep it aside for 7 days after delivery of an item in case of a change of mind or a mistake on my part - and after three weeks, I would definitely spend the cash.

I think as a buyer you have some responsibility to inspect your items immediately, otherwise you have to shoulder the blame, as you have lost the ability to prove a defect was there.

Honestly, I think the OP should chalk it up to schoolfees. He has a range of options on those fees, from cheap to relativelh expensive, but he should be okay. 4200 for ten speed carbon tabbies is a pretty fair price, and they're not no name either so really, if you have to spend a couple Hondos more to fit your cassettes, just do it and move on with your life.

And for the seller, you've learned that you really need to be absolutely 100% sure of your facts next time. Ignorance is not a valid excuse. If you and your friend have some conscience, I would ask the buyer to get a quote on the machining, and offer to cover part or all of the costs, but in all honesty I think the buyer needs to shoulder some blame here.

Hell, I've sold 11 speed wheels where I had to meet the buyer at a bike shop so he could get their mechanic to fit the cassette to check. Sounds hectic, but youre buying second hand, so you do what you can to reduce the risk that in inherent with a used item sale.

Flame on.

Agree

Had they been clinchers I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat ,

but now its all about damage control ... I for one would have had everything tested and fitted immediately . not wait for end of days :eek:

Hahahaha same here dude. Can't get a new bike part and wait longer than an hour to play with it.

I just think you also shoulder some responsibility as a buyer, and actually you assume 98% of the risk when it's a classifieds deal. We are actually spoilt on the hub as there is some accountability as a seller, because on scumtree and others, as soon as your money is out of your hand, you own 100% of the risk.

Yes i understand this.. Where the problem really comes in here is that the buyer only made us aware that the cassette doesn't fit almost 3 weeks after the transaction took place. Surely within those 3 weeks the cash would've been spent. And no i wasn't pushing blame. I stand for my mistakes.. Personally i think this was more of a technical misunderstanding that happened here.. I only sold what i saw.. and i saw an 11's cassette fit onto the wheel set.. And this is where the problem came in.. 

You have a car to deliver the wheels for him but you don't have R1800 for a freehub body or R4700 to refund him for a few days until you can resell them? That's absolute BS. If you actually wanted to, you could make a plan and presumably so can the person that bought the bike with these wheels in the first place (if he has to sell the bike to finance it then that's your and his problem, not the buyers)... You placed an incorrect ad (accidentally) and he relied on that information in making the purchase - why are you even debating it? You know what you have to do.

Flame on.

I respectfully disagree, for those of us that constantly travel for work this is everything but the case and a pipe dream at best.

I've for example bought some real pricey items on a number of occasions and only got to inspect it a couple of weeks down the line, seeing that it was delivered to my wife whilst I was abroad. 

I fail to understand why this matter is even being debated, the seller ^%$^ed up, finish en klaar. Man up, fix your mistake by either refunding the seller or coming to an amicable agreement (even repaying him over 3 months) and stop trying to rationalise your actions.

It's because of nonsense like this that our beloved country is in it's current unfortunate state.