New to clipless (MTB) - Is it normal to get fatigued sooner (initally)?

Liesier

Hi, newbie to clipless here.

After riding MTB with takkies for the past 3 years I finally upgraded to clipless. Shimano SPD.

Got the hang of clipping in and out real fast and have done about 60km since installing them 2 days ago (no falls yet :)

My shoes fit real nice and I find pedalling to be more smooth… overall a pleasant experience, but I noticed that my legs get tired a bit sooner now (I noticed especially on tthe front just below the knee - never experienced fatigue (burning sensation) in that region before - as well as overall tiredness sooner than usual) especially with climbing.

I know that more muscle groups gets a workout now (e.g. hamstrings). Could this be the reason for the change?  I ride 4 times a week, alltogether about 80km so I am not too unfit. If so I guess it will get better as those “unused” muscles’ adapts to riding clipless?

Hope it’s not a stupid question! Thanks in advance!

Your cleat placement can have an effect on unwanted pressure in certain areas like below the knee for example.

You definitely can recruit more muscles if you pull up in the stroke too so that might explain some of it.

Its more likely a case of the different foot position on the pedal is not utilizing the same muscles you were before in the same way. 

Spend some time with them and maybe play around with the position of the cleats on the shoes themselves.

Could be that you didn't have a proper pull action on your pedal stroke and now the technique is easier being clipped in.

Or your saddle height could be slightly off with the change in pedals making you less efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input sofar.  Installation was done by a respectable bike shop in town (Flandria) and they paid attention to my saddle height as well, made me do a few laps to check that so I don't think it's the saddle height. 

Riding with takkies I think my placement on the pedal might have been a tiny bit different than now. I trust their judgement on cleat placement but they did tell I might need to play around with that.

I'm just wondering if I should give it a chance and adapt to this new experience over time, get those muscles more fit,  or should I already fiddle with cleat positioning? 

@popcorn_skollie  wanted to try something new. See what the hype's about. I don't do too much technical riding, mostly singletrack and vineyard roads.  If I did more downhill I would stick with flats.

@popcorn_skollie wanted to try something new. See what the hype's about. I don't do too much technical riding, mostly singletrack and vineyard roads. If I did more downhill I would stick with flats.

Very sensible and logical to want to have a more efficient pedal stroke for the type of riding you do. It will also take a bit of rime to get used to a harder shoe than what you would be used to.

It could be related to improper bike fitting. Maybe the cleats are not positioned optimally and/or your saddle height and forward position is off. Rather go for a proper bike fitting.

Give it a few weeks, if it is muscle fatigue then you are just using different muscles now that you clipped in.

If you start getting knee pain and other sorts of pain then go for a proper fitting. But give it 2-3 weeks first.

As mentioned above check your saddle height also your cleat position..your foot could be to far forward on the pedals also adjust your sway (position of cleats on shoe) plenty of advice out there on setting up cleats.

Edited by HowardSteele

Hi, newbie to clipless here.[/size]

After riding MTB with takkies for the past 3 years I finally upgraded to clipless. Shimano SPD.

Got the hang of clipping in and out real fast and have done about 60km since installing them 2 days ago (no falls yet :)

My shoes fit real nice and I find pedalling to be more smooth… overall a pleasant experience, but I noticed that my legs get tired a bit sooner now (I noticed especially on tthe front just below the knee - never experienced fatigue (burning sensation) in that region before - as well as overall tiredness sooner than usual) especially with climbing.

I know that more muscle groups gets a workout now (e.g. hamstrings). Could this be the reason for the change? I ride 4 times a week, alltogether about 80km so I am not too unfit. If so I guess it will get better as those “unused” muscles’ adapts to riding clipless?

Hope it’s not a stupid question! Thanks in advance!

IMHO.

Take your multi tool and go for a ride.

Stop. Set. Ride ......... continue until you hit the sweet spot

Edited by Vetseun

Hi Liesier, I had the exact same experience when going from flats to clipless. It lasted for about a week till the new foot position etc got used to it and since then all peachy.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I rode again today without any changes and for the first time I didn't experience any pain or more fatigue compared to pre-clipless. I think I will still go for a proper bike fit. They did recommend that I may need to adjsut once I start riding. But I'm happy that i'ts starting to return to normal now. 

I did however have my first fall today (stationary). I didn't clip out approaching the intersection as I saw I was going to be the first to reach the stop, but a lady ran the stop just to turn the other way without indicating. I hesitated as I saw she was not going to stop and forgot to clip out. 

Sooo, got my first "battlescar" (jsut bruised elbow and ego) but glad it happened as I saw it wasn't that bad and know what to expect now :)

Thanks guys!