[Event] DBX17

heidi@darlingbrewextreme

newbie question - where was this ride advertised ?

I dont recall seeing this on the PPA schedule (?)

This is not a PPA event, that's why it wasn't on their calendar.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on that. Weekends have 2 days also... not everything must be on a Saturday.

Enjoyed my ride today, faster than last year. Getting older and better, like cheddar cheese. Felt like superman overtaking all the short route riders and smugly chuckling to myself while someone teetered and tottered over the rocky bits, like that wasn't me 2 years ago.

Had a puncture which deflated me a little. Will do it again next year unless it clashes with autumn splendour again.

First time 7 years when I am not doing Hex Rivier.

I wish organisers would sync their calendars and avoid this pesky multi event days.

There are plenty of open weekends in the coming months. Keep it on a Saturday but spread it over all 52 we have in a year.

Bone Crusher was much harder than last year, but worth it.

3612bb05885e5f7b5a25a8433c520cc9.jpg13b7931aa66b3a669a29da2cd2104c82.jpgf5fba00e179d48553bde089288a6247b.jpgc0a7d9948a808320ef15313f4e1a6a01.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I won the 88km!  Took the wrong route from the 30km water point and ended up doing the 13km single track loop twice.

Seems I was the only one.

Andrew

Hehehe ....

I almost won my own class as well .... thanks to a farmworker I got back on track .....

the joys of loosing sight of the racers, and being way ahead of the slow bunch .... spent the second half of the race on my own ....

It was a tough day, was probably right at the back, the first 40km went very well, but the second bit.. eish..

Loved the weather, very well organised (seems other had trouble with route marking, but I had no such problems).  Did ride some long stretches on my own, but will be back next year for sure. 

I won the 88km!  Took the wrong route from the 30km water point and ended up doing the 13km single track loop twice.

Seems I was the only one.

Andrew

You were not alone. I just managed to call back a rider we noted making the same mistake. Possibly candy tape between the back-to-back water stations could have prevented this. An awesome event with great water points!

Edited by LouisPlus

Since they were taking times manually, mine was not taken. So after having a great race it was rather a big disappointment not to see any results on enterninja. 

Looking at the DBX2017 web page, there is no race organizer contact details, so I'm not sure who to contact. 

I hope I'm not seeded in group D again next year because of this. 

UPDATE: 

So I contacted entryninja.com directly, they replied within minutes and will follow up on my request. I also supplied then my Strava GPX file. 

All should be sorted out soon :D  :D  

Edited by DurbanvilleOak

i got to the venue late and missed my A batch start. managed to just about get into b batch and take off with them. at the finish, i informed the race time officials that i took off 10min late and they adjusted my start time to 7:40am. my time shows spot on :clap:

Since they were taking times manually, mine was not taken. So after having a great race it was rather a big disappointment not to see any results on enterninja. 

Looking at the DBX2017 web page, there is no race organizer contact details, so I'm not sure who to contact. 

I hope I'm not seeded in group D again next year because of this. 

You won't get any joy from Darling Brew. The race is run by an events company that is responsible for putting on the race on their behalf. They now have 1,900 riders in the event and are still using manual timing? That does seem odd.

A guy on the 75km route gave me a sealant tube when my rear tubeless valve decide to start leaking and then break. I tried to find him at the end to pay him for the tube. If anyone knows a guy that gave a tube away and was probably around 20th overall please let me know or tell him to contact me so I can repay his kindness.

As I drove away from the race on Saturday having thoroughly enjoyed myself I watched a guy struggling to drag a wheeled palette with about six crates of beer balanced on it across the railway into Asla - which is the "township" area just outside Darling adjacent to where the Darling Brewery is. I don't think it was Darling Brew he was dragging  but it got me thinking about the history of alcohol in South Africa and the contrasts between the "craft beer" marketing spin and this man dragging hundreds of rands worth of what is essentially a drug into the relatively impoverished area in which he lives.

Off topic I know

Edited by Mamil

Continuing off topic : 

Interesting observation you made. I'm a firm believer in survival of the fittest. The weak will fall for substances and other "quick escapes" like drugs to get away from their environment. The strong knows that this is a no-no and will work to leave behind their environment for good.

Personally I have a few weaknesses but I try to work at it and not to give into vices. There are people far more accomplished and wealthy than me and I refuse to just sit back and bemoan my existence, instead I work to get as close to my dreams as possible. 

Continuing off topic : 

Interesting observation you made. I'm a firm believer in survival of the fittest. The weak will fall for substances and other "quick escapes" like drugs to get away from their environment. The strong knows that this is a no-no and will work to leave behind their environment for good.

Personally I have a few weaknesses but I try to work at it and not to give into vices. There are people far more accomplished and wealthy than me and I refuse to just sit back and bemoan my existence, instead I work to get as close to my dreams as possible. 

Bear in mind you have running water, a car, a flushing toilet and food on the table. You were also likely not raised in a family where your parents were paid in alcohol on a friday.

It is really easy to sit and say 'they are weak minded' etc however decades of abuse and lifestyle (which was essentially forced onto them) is difficult to iron out.

To escape poverty, a desperate situation and one which will likely continue till the day they die, a good hopskop on the weekend is all they know.

Don't be so quick to judge. It sort of shows the disparity between the classes. The fact that we as a nation sit and judge the poor, bemoaning the government for doing nothing while our private sector sits with it's thumbs in it's collective bums is indicative of where we are as a failing 'developing country'.

By all means chase your dreams, but be aware that the dreams of the children of the guy dragging the pallet of beer is to perhaps have 5 hot meals a week, which to them seems just as far away as whatever you have planned.

Fair enough. But one should never compare yourself to those with less than you and think of how fortunate you are. There are people with far more than you and it is so easy for fall into the trap of giving pity instead of encouragement to those with less. 

Remember, there are people that went to private schools, who did not have to buy their first car, who did not have to study on a loan.