What a good bikeshop doth make?

nox1111

What is your requirements for a good bikeshop? And why is your LBS - your LBS?

For me it is not free parts or massive discounts; for me it is good conversation (I want to talk bikes, parts and riding when I go to a shop),

knowledgeable staff that does not try to force parts or services on you ( we all hate when a bikeshop knows only one term answer to any question: "buy a 29er"), one that has reasonable prices (I'm not saying cheap, I know they have to pay rent and make some money, but reasonable prices), and one with a solid service department / workshop; where the mechies firstly looks at service and repair, before they look at replacement and upgrades. Oh yes, and upfront courtesy calls with estimated prices, if anything is bust.

What else?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A trust relationship and people you can also ride/ train with...I train with the bike mechanic!

What is your requirements for a good bikeshop? And why is your LBS - your LBS?

For me it is not free parts or massive discounts; for me it is good conversation (I want to talk bikes, parts and riding when I go to a shop),

knowledgeable staff that does not try to force parts or services on you ( we all hate when a bikeshop knows only one term answer to any question: "buy a 29er"), one that has reasonable prices (I'm not saying cheap, I know they have to pay rent and make some money, but reasonable prices), and one with a solid service department / workshop; where the mechies firstly looks at service and repair, before they look at replacement and upgrades. Oh yes, and upfront courtesy calls with estimated prices, if anything is bust.

What else?

^This x100

For me, I buy from the people, not necessarily the shop. If the staff are polite, engaging, fun, listen to your stories (a requirement if you are going to recommend something to suit my needs. Time is money, and I'm in your shop to spend it so getting to know your customer a little will hook them for life) and reasonable pricing - I spent a few thousand rand more buying locally because my LBS is helpful, and they managed to order exactly what I was looking for. Yes I would have saved ALOT buying online, but I would have waited longer, and I wouldn't be able to share my story with anyone. Now I can walk into my LBS and they're all like, "Look at what I've got that you might liiike ;) " My LBS knows that I build and service my own bikes, and that I come to the shop looking for upgrades and regular maintenance items. They also know what I ride, where I ride and the type of riding I enjoy and because of this they know what I want and give me the service I expect. In turn, I recommend ALL the products to people while I wait my turn to see the regular staff, and have managed to facilitate 2 bike sales in the process.  

I'm sure the LBS owner has his wish list too :

(those who have ever owned a shop business will understand, the rest are just know it all types) 

1. Pay for your goods

2. Customer is not always right and should be polite even if he/she is

3. Not demand attention like a spoilt brat

4. Customer is not your buddy or mate, they are the worse payers and take advantage

5. Customers who feel you need to lick their arse because they buy from you

.........etc. 

Edited by coppi

For mechanical stuff, I found that the best guys are those not quite as well developed in the commercial sense, ie work either from their own garage / very small shop.

You develop a personal relationship with them which means you can tell them what was great and not so great about what they did to your machine. I deal with two outfits in that category and they are always willing to go the extra mile incl delivering the bike to my home if for some reason I cannot come pick it up or it is delayed.

Only problem with these smaller outfits is that they often become the victim of their own success: the moment they take on staff and do not do the wrenching on the bike themselves anymore, it gets hard to live up to the same standards

That leaves all the clothing and consumable stuff (boms / gels etc / tools etc). The smaller guys typically do not stock those as they cannot afford to have the wide selection required to please clients.

So as much as I want to give more business to the smaller guys I do still find myself having to go to the likes of CL / Northcliff / Spez shops for all accessories.

• 1 month later...

So from negative personal experiences of late with at least 2 lbs's

1. Please actually call me back rather than to ignore 4 polite messages if you are busy

2. please treat me the same as the bloke who inquired about the 100k bike. I can't promise to be buying one of those ever but I am a talker and will punt the hell out of you and won't ask for anything outside of this list for my efforts. Sometimes you can practically feel a persons eyes rolling back over the phone at your price point and that's not cool.

3. Don't have salespeople that just say "it won't work" when you could take 1 minute to tell me of  adaptors to make it work but just don't have the decency such that I must find out myself about their existence and miss out on sale items that I couldn't afford without the markdown.

4. Have a competent Mechanic. Servicing is expensive when you're financially knackered and it's not nice to miss rides just for your bike to come back shifting badly when it was fine going in. (thank goodness for YouTube!)

5. Open when you say you are opening with all hands on deck and not 20 minutes after opening time with 2 of the 5 staff present non of which spoke with you. 

i don't know what it is, but some shops feel inviting, others don't........

i personally don't actually know what it is.

example, i just dig the Giant shop in town......its just got a cool vibe IMO.

Being able to Whatsapp the workshop directly! One of the many reasons (already posted here) I frequent Ridgeway Cycles. 

• Instant feedback while it's being worked on so there are no surprising bills.
  • I can change my mind about things without having to call or go in.
  • It's all in black and white afterwards so there is no you said she said. 

You "clever" okes should try own your business of any kind before commenting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by coppi

i don't know what it is, but some shops feel inviting, others don't........

i personally don't actually know what it is.

example, i just dig the Giant shop in town......its just got a cool vibe IMO.

You "clever" okes should try own your business of any kind before commenting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and these two quotes show the two polar opposits

I have ONE workshop I take my bikes to - Mark's Cycle Workshop.  Obviously I TRUST them with my bike.  But there is just that something "inviting" about them and the way they do business.

Sadly they dont sell bikes, so I have to shop around for what I want ....

I am very fortunate that my work takes me all over the peninsula, so I can pop into most bikeshops at some point or another.

As Gravity said - some are "inviting".

Gecko Cycles is nice and close by, and a nice shop.  It is a smaller outlet with limited options, so I do look wider as well.

Cycle4Life in Paarl is another of the "inviting" stores.  I have only spoken to the owner, Danie on 4 or 5 occasions.  Bought two bikes this year from him, latest one last Saturday - after having popped into the regular spots around Bellville ....  I dont waste his time, he does not BS me, friendly, factual, and seems to have the equipment that fits my needs.

Specialized off Durbanroad is another of the really nice shops.  Much more so than what I expected.  Pity they are above my price range at the moment ... but who knows what tomorrow holds.  Coppi dont worry, I dont empty their coffee bar, and certainly dont waste their time.

So though I have about 5 bike shops in a 5km radius of my home and work I drive 45km one-way to buy my bikes ....  Cant put my finger on it, but Danie does "something" right.

A friend is looking for a dual suspension .... jip, first place we stopped was a Cycle4Life.  

Edited by ChrisF